Your Earliest Fast Car Experiences?

-
I bought a 69 Boss 429 Mustang new while in my senior year of high school. My uncle was with Charlotte Motor Speedway. I turned some laps at 135. The ford guys were testing that day and I got to Draft with Cale Yarborough and turned a fast lap of 147. That car was really quick and scared the 17 year old really badly

Our dad had a 68 Charger when we were young, about 2-5 years old... It had the 383 2bbl, but could still spin the tires off the line...

Dad would come off a stop light squealing the tires for us and then ask us, "How was that guys???" :steering:

Then we would reply, "Fine..." :thumbsup:

We loved that Charger... It was the fastest/best car in the world to us... And our dad was so cool....:thumbsup:

I bought a 69 Boss 429 Mustang new while in my senior year of high school. My uncle was with Charlotte Motor Speedway. I turned some laps at 135. The ford guys were testing that day and I got to Draft with Cale Yarborough and turned a fast lap of 147. That car was really quick and scared the 17 year old really badly

WINNAH!!!

I was 16 and already had a 383 magnum charger when a friends older brother took for a ride in Tiger II, which was not stock. It was a heavily modified 289 in the little body which was also lowered.

The mixture of being that low to the ground, the roar of the engine at 100 miles an hour weaving through mid-morning traffic was awesome. That car could handle. And technically it was a mopar

Only other was my sisters creepy boyfriend with a hunk'a junk 68 camaro - it was beat inside and out with out seatbelts in back- I was around 12. But the engine was strong, loud, smelled of gas and screamed death as it rattled and shook. Probably only at freeway speed. Still fun

Love cars

Hitchhiking a ride to the dragstrip in Oswego, I'll. when it was still in opperation, I got a ride in a 401 Gremlin. Just awesome.

1972, was 6 years old. Neighbor, Jimmy Curtin, had a 67 Chevelle. Stick shift, big block, tunnel ram.....thing was wild. Got to drive a friends 65 convertible Vette. Big block, made 800+ on the dyno. Drove it several times....I was 17 or so...

Had a buddy that bought a first generation GSXR 1100. Bought it home, pulled the motor and sent it to Vance and Hines. Made 195 hp when he got it back. Thing was an absolute beast. I was the first person to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear....

I was 14..My cousins boyfriend had a new 62 Impala 409 4/speed. At that time it felt like a top fuel dragster. First fast car I ever drove was a 63 Impala 425 horse 409.That was fun but I ..THINK... my built 65 273 Dart I bought in 1967 would beat either one.

1968, I was eight, my Dad's older sister who lived in New York City drove down to visit us in FL in a Hertz Shelby GT350. The neighbors were talking, not only about the car but her fish net stockings, mini-skirts and no bra. But I remember she let my Dad drive that Mustang, I was in the back seat watching the speedometer needle get to 125. That made a big impression because my Dad otherwise never drove fast.

My Dad had a 68 300 with a 440 4bbl and he was at an intersection with only 1 lane at the other side when another car pulled up beside him. I was probably 14 but he looked at me and said "that's not gonna happen". He smoked em till there was only 1 lane and the other car had to pull in back. I was hooked by that burnout! Thanks Dad.

While it may not be the earliest, it was certainly the most memorable one.

Traveling North, Hitch hiking with a buddy, a South bound car passes us with the driver screaming out his window, "Stay right there I gotcha!"

Who ever this stranger was, he pulled up in a Coronet. His buddy let us in the back where he suggest a beer to cool down with that was underwent myself and my bud.

Once we popped them open and had a slug, he takes off and I am PINNED TO THE SEAT! OMGooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!

Travel 15 miles in no time flat. Never made it half way through the beer.

Absolutely true story! Was 17 around 1974. My bosses cousin was visiting the restaurant my boss owned and I worked at. He was in a Limelight Green 4 speed Hemi Superbird. He told me that Mr. Dandy Dick Landy, or his shop, had built the engine for him. It currently had some big Hookers and a cross ram on it and Lord what else inside. We headed out for a ride and pulled up to a stop light next to a bunch of guys in a 65 Riviera GS (these were the 425 dual quad nail heads engines). The guys were egging us on. I was intently focused on what gear he was in, the speedo and the tach. He waited for the Rivy to get a little ahead and then hit the (all hell breaks loose pedal) All I remember is that he passed the guys at over 135 in 3rd and shut it off at about 160, not even breathing hard. He claimed that he had had it up to 202 mph on a big track.

Walking home from junior high school,
my friend and I always passed a Superbird.
This was 1975 or 76, and this car had been white, green, and dark red already.
440 single 4bbl,....... one day Dean was out looking at his engine and he took us for a
quick ride.
Only had a driver's seat so it was pretty impressive just sitting on the rear floor.
Three years later I got my 383 Belvedere conv.
I'll never forget that quick highway blast in the Superbird.

In 67 when I was 16 my dad bought a new 67 New Yorker which came with a 440. It was pretty quick, you could embarrass people in base engine muscle cars by running even with them.
In the summer of 69 when I graduated high school I was hanging out at a gas station where a friend worked. Another guy who worked there had a 66 Corvette coupe. He bought a new L88 427 from the Chevy dealer and put it in the car, along with headers, 4:88 gears and slicks. I ended up towing him to the track with my 66 A100. He would drive the car on the street some too. One day he was going for a ride and I went with him. He backed over to the edge of the station's lot, revved it way up and side stepped the clutch. I was instantly pinned to the seat and staring into space because the front of the car was about 2 ft. off the ground. Talk about making an impression on this 18 year old kid!

My brother had a 58 vet. 4:88 gears with a 409 in it. Took it out on the road when i was 15. He had a s-fit when he found out.
My fastest car was a 440 six 1970 cuda i bought new in 1970 (guess i'm in the Dad catagory) really hammered that thing on the street. Lot of fun back then.

In 1968 (I was 7) my "cool" uncle (RIP) had a black, black bucket interior, 1968 Coronet (not sure what motor or model (RT, 500, ?)). He picked me up from school and took me for the ride of my life! Ever since that day I've been a Mopar fan.

One night in July of '77, my Dad got woken up by a car horn blowing in his driveway. After a while, he realized it was my Mom's car, a '71 Charger R/T 440 auto Citron Yella, black vinyl top car. It was pouring like hell, and she left her window open. The rain went into the RimBlow wheel, and shorted out the horn button. He pulled the wires off the horns, and went back in the house. When he got back inside, my Mom was going into labor with me. He took her on a very fast ride to the hospital in the Charger. My Dad always said that car knew what was going to happen, so it woke him up. I got brought home from the hospital in my Mom's Charger R/T after I was born. That would seem pretty cool, except my Dad wanted to bring me home in his black '63 Polara 500 13.5:1 426 Ramcharger car. My mom went bananas when he told her that. It didn't have a back seat, so she said "Where is he going to sit?!?" He said, "You can just hold him." I did get taken for rides like that while I was still an infant. My Mom would tell my Dad not to get on it, which of course he did at the first stop sign out of our neighborhood. I even have pictures of myself as an infant being held between the 3447 Carter AFBs on the cross ram of the Ramcharger engine.

My Dad pointed out to me that I rode in his Polara, his '69 383 Road Runner daily driver, and my Mom's Charger for 9 months before I was born. It's little wonder to me that I became a motor head addicted to Mopars

One night in July of '77, my Dad got woken up by a car horn blowing in his driveway. After a while, he realized it was my Mom's car, a '71 Charger R/T 440 auto Citron Yella, black vinyl top car. It was pouring like hell, and she left her window open. The rain went into the RimBlow wheel, and shorted out the horn button. He pulled the wires off the horns, and went back in the house. When he got back inside, my Mom was going into labor with me. He took her on a very fast ride to the hospital in the Charger. My Dad always said that car knew what was going to happen, so it woke him up. I got brought home from the hospital in my Mom's Charger R/T after I was born. That would seem pretty cool, except my Dad wanted to bring me home in his black '63 Polara 500 13.5:1 426 Ramcharger car. My mom went bananas when he told her that. It didn't have a back seat, so she said "Where is he going to sit?!?" He said, "You can just hold him." I did get taken for rides like that while I was still an infant. My Mom would tell my Dad not to get on it, which of course he did at the first stop sign out of our neighborhood. I even have pictures of myself as an infant being held between the 3447 Carter AFBs on the cross ram of the Ramcharger engine.

My Dad pointed out to me that I rode in his Polara, his '69 383 Road Runner daily driver, and my Mom's Charger for 9 months before I was born. It's little wonder to me that I became a motor head addicted to Mopars
Awesome! Talk about being raised from an early age to the land of Ma Mopar!

I was in 10th grade and a friend of a friend was a senior. He had an orange '70 Superbee 383 Pistol Grip. I got a ride in it and will never forget the sound and the way it put me back in my seat.

I told this here years ago but I love to tell it. I was 13 and we visited my older brother and family in Monrovia CA. It was 1962 and my brother had a 413 Polara and cruised around Pasadena looking for street races. In my two months there we never lost. It wasn't totally stock but not heavily modified either. To a 13 yo kid I thought we were flying. What a rush. After all these years still my fondest memories.
Dan

-
Back