Your first car upgrades? (Electrical/Mechanical)

-
Depends on what the car needs - for my Dart, the first work was rebuilding the carburetor, followed by reupholstering the interior.

Of course fine tune it to run right. Then a front suspension rebuild that includes adding front disc brakes if they are not already there.
Usually the wiring on projects is a mess so my OCD takes over and I have to clean, add/subtract, reroute and secure. Sometimes that process happens a couple times over, until it's not OE perse, just organized.

1978...yellow 7mm Accel plug wires, of course!! I'm sure it ran much stronger - at least in my mind because I read they would do that in a magazine.

Assuming that the fuel system and brakes have gotten up to snuff, my next pet peeve is funky electrical. Old cars that have spent time parked with wet carpets over the years probably have corrosion issues on various electrical components in the interior. Here is a non-mopar project that I put an aftermarket fusebox in. I have disassembled and cleaned headlight/ignition switches with Q-tips, so be it. Here was the starting point, with.....surprise surprise, intermittent loss of power to lights etc.

corvowl3 fuse box.jpg

corvowl fuse box.jpg

In all honesty for me, the very first thing I do on every Mopar I've ever owned is remove the seat track spacer disks because I NEED that extra 3/8" of headroom.

...and that is NOT available on gm or fomoco products!

IMO every first upgrade on pre 72 Mopar’s should be Electrical!!!

On my most recent purchase, ‘67 Barracuda convert.,
replaced ignition box due to a miss above 4000rpms, then replaced non working radio with am/fm/Bluetooth unit, next swapped out the 2.76 peg leg for 3.23 suregrip and big bolt axles, fronts had wilwoods which have both bolt patterns,so a simple moving lugs the the larger pattern.

3F066AE2-20B6-40AD-A35C-40E0B4C32195.jpeg

-
Back