your Mopar's story

-
In 2012 I had become sick and tired of a 2004 Pontiac Vibe I had been driving and the CV axles kept falling out of the transaxle - long story. So I let it sit in the driveway, along with a 95 accord, which drove just fine. Then I had to take the Accord to get it smogged (California) and it failed due to a gas cap not sealing, and one of the 02 sensors was bad. $100 later I could finally pay $60 to get it smogged and register it for $150 more dollars after that. Then I realized I don't have to put up with this anymore, and scoured Craigslist simply by typing in years... 1975 and back and seeing what popped up. I went and looked at tons of cars and none of them really had that feel that they were something I want. Then I finally found a car in a Craigslist ad somewhere 20 minutes away but noticed the pictures of it were all taken about 2 blocks away from my house. I asked the guy to meet me in Martinez where I work on the Jolten Joe (Joe Dimaggio's boat) project and he called me and told me he was in the big parking lot by the marina. I walked over there, and I had literally 300-400 feet to walk while I was staring at this car thinking I wanted to leave with that car no matter what. He didn't come down on the price, so I handed him $2,500 and he got a ride home from his wife after I test drove the car. I did not care how much it cost, I just knew I wanted THAT car - a 1968 Dodge Dart 4 door with a slant 6. There was spray paint on the wheels and tires, one side of the car had red wheels, the other had gray and he brought it DIRTY. yes he was trying to sell a dirty car, and I bought it. The interior had some weird bucket seats with red/white/blue pattern and the rest of the interior was forest green with torn up carpet and ripped everything. http://s43.photobucket.com/user/serj22/media/CAM00371_zps60b9d645.jpg.html http://s43.photobucket.com/user/serj22/media/photo-1_zps8b7c7dd8.jpg.html The car is well loved and it brings out all my creative ideas, and I put them all to work. I learned to sew because of this car - to do the upholstery... so many ideas, and you can just put them all together. That's what I like about it. I also wanted my kids to grow up with a "family car" kind of thing, where you have memories about doing stuff in it. No one really has good stories about taking the old Civic out to the lake - you know what I mean? http://s43.photobucket.com/user/serj22/media/CAM00377_zps8feb0bc3.jpg.html Now of course, it's turbocharged, still has a slant 6, and looks a little different. And March 18th the Wednesday Night Drags are starting up at Sonoma Raceway and I am almost ready with the car to run it. Just need an external battery cutoff and a new battery box... http://s43.photobucket.com/user/serj22/media/Turbo 225/IMG_20150202_162633_zpssm0ttozp.jpg.html http://s43.photobucket.com/user/serj22/media/Turbo 225/IMG_20150202_131219_zpsyui2kozg.jpg.html http://s43.photobucket.com/user/serj22/media/Mobile Uploads/20150216_081540_zps1tavandt.jpg.html I wanted my fiancee' to have something fun to drive since she's scared of driving my car, so I bought her a '74 4 door Dart off a member of this site and she's driven it every day all over the place and has never been a real car freak. Then we were sitting in a drive-thru behind a 60s rattlecan primer camaro with a weird sounding cam lope for quite a while and she turns to me and asks "Do you think his car is faster than mine?" -It's starting.

Very nice car. Good to see some 4 doors

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/doogievlg/media/P1010076.jpg.html http://s176.photobucket.com/user/doogievlg/media/P1010036.jpg.html I found this car listed in the news paper when I was 15. I ended up getting it for $2000. I worked the year before and I had saved up around $1000 so I had to take out a loan from papa bear but I had it paid off in the next year. The car was a slant six car with 33,000 miles and I am the second owner. I drove the slant six until I was 18 and I had finally saved up enough for a small block. Now I'm 24 and the car looks the exact same. I drove this car all through high school and summers home from college. The memories I have had inside my swinger never be forgotten.

Very nice dart... What kind of small block?

I purchased this A56 4 speed new in 1969. Bought the car back from the 7th owner, BB-Dave, in Sept of 2013.

I spent a year getting this #'s matching notch road worthy. Still a work in progress, but it will still go down a drag strip!

Full story is posted in the Welcome thread. One gone but came back home.

My avatar photo was taken in July 1969. The posted photo was taken Aug, 2014

Pa karp:burnout:

Attachments

• IMG_0379 (800x600).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 203
Bought this Harley, all in pieces for $600 from a friend of mine! Spent about $500 buying parts and putting it together!.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 206
Friend calls back and wants to trade the bike back for this blue belvedere!!....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 224
Also offers a 69 charger parts car for $400 with a 440 drivetrain in it, and I pay a buddy $400 to paint it! Total investment about $2200!!....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 205
Drive it to work one day and trade it for a 67 GTX that was parked with a spun bearing!! Star date 1996!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 201
:burnout:

Attachments

• DSCF1003.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Copy of DSCF1002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 202
  • Picture 317.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Picture 264.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Picture 260.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 207
  • Picture.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 205
The car today!! New rims and tires, another $400 paint job in 98, rebuilt the motor, and many happy miles since then!! Total investment?? About $3500 to this point!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 205
I'm luck enough to have 2 currently.
I was looking to replace a '68 Coronet I had bought when I was younger when I found my 1973 Challenger
I knew I wanted 4 speed and big block ( stock big blocks no longer offered after 71 for Cuda/Challengers, I'm aware and still don't care )
With nothing more than some time off from work, a trailer and the asking price I headed off to Virginia 3 days before Christmas.
I made it back home late night December 23rd 1999 and have been driving her ever since.
The car came to me with a 4 speed pistol grip and 440.
I've since done gauges, wheels and tires and the biggest upgrade a 500 ci stroker motor.
I've driven to Carlisle a couple of times in her and have been to a couple different 1/4 mile tracks around here.
Then I had the chance to buy an A body as I had wanted for a very long time.
I had a very specific car in mind when looking, and just a couple of years ago I brought home my 1967 Barracuda.
A 273 auto trans car in pretty stock condition is now what I have.
Since having her I've done a front disk brake conversion, some new rear leaf springs and my favorite Cragar rims all around.

They truly have been a joy, and I wouldn't trade either for anything!

Attachments

• GEDC0910.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 235
Most of you know my story already! If not, there's a probably eleventy-million page story attached to my signature......

I've got a few.

'70 Dart Custom.

When I was young, my grandparents had a brown '62 Dart 330 sedan in the bush behind their house that I would always play in. My Papa traded my Granny's pink '59 Cadillac in for it, needless to say she was not impressed. It was a plain Jane /6 auto car. One day when I was 16 they told me if I wanted the Dart it was mine. My cousin had just bought a '72 Gold Duster and was having a blast, so I was exited to have something too. It was cooler than the '88 Aries K car I was driving around. So I pulled it out of the bush with my K car and realized then how bad it really was. No floors, no subframe, the trunk lid was so thin you could poke your finger through it. The engine was seized and the car had vines growing through it.
A year went by and at this point I had started working as an electrician after school and on weekends. My grandparents had been saving a small college fund for me and when they found out I was doing electrical, they made me a deal that if I started an apprenticeship they would give me the college money to do what I wished.
Well, I was set on having a Dart. I soon realized how hard it was to find a '62, so I did an internet search of all the years of the Dart and decided I liked the looks of the '70 the best. That same week I spotted a '70 Dart in the paper a few towns over listed for $2500. My cousin and I went to look at it, it looked good, with somewhat faded original paint and a rusty drivers leaf hanger. 225 /6, auto, power brakes and steering, tiny drums all around. Green on green on green. I was in love. I put a deposit on it and said I'd be back in a few days.
Well, the owners wife decided to take it for one last drive on the farm, lost control and crashed into a tree. It put a nice dent in the hood, bent the bumper, bent the valence and broke the grill. We agreed on a total of $2000, and I drove it the hour drive home.
I drove it with the slant for a couple years, then pulled the slant for a 318, 904, 8 3/4, BBP front discs, cheap Hooker headers, glass packs, and some twin scoops. I figured I could restore it as a drove it. Well one day I decided to replace the carpet and noticed some small holes in the floor from leaky wiper seals. That turned into a full blown resto. Fresh F8 green paint, body straight as an arrow, strong fresh 340, 727, 3.91 SG, BBP all around, frame connectors, fresh interior, etc.

The sad '62 pulled out of the bush.

The day I brought the '70 home.

With the 318.

Now.

My story,

I had been out of the mopar hobby for a number of years. My job took me out of state halfway across the country, and into an apartment. My 69 R/T 4 speed charger and 94 HD 1200 sporty i sold as i had no place to keep them.

I finally buy a home, and build a shop 16 years later, decide i want another charger. Holy crap they are expensive now. I used to have a 68 fastback cuda years ago, and knew a bodies were still affordable , so i looked for anything A body 67 up.

Got my 67 notchback in deplorable condition with a slant six in it. and a 74 V8 dart more door with disc brakes and a good floor. Project is currently on a homemade rotisserie, with new crossmwmber, floors, and subframe connectors installed, and is slow going for now as i dont have any time for it.

I need to post pix
Matt

Heres current pix,
Been trying to post these, but fabo seems to post em upside down lol

Matt

Attachments

• 20140901_185512.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 20140901_185432.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 187
Although I have been driving Mopars since 1986, my 1970 Duster is my first MOPAR car! I did the truck scene for about 25 years and decided I needed a change. I sold my 91 W150 loaded from the factory and my 1978 short box Power Wagon (factory 440 truck) and decided to find a car to work on. After scouring Craigslist for a few months, I found a 1970 Duster local. It was born a /6 3 speed car, but it came with a steel crank 340, a complete 4 speed setup, and 8.75" rear end with a 3.23 Sure Grip. Price started out high at $6000 in the spring when I looked at it first. It was all in pieces but had a very solid body. Regardless, it was too much money for what it was. It popped up a couple more times during the summer, with the list price slowly going down. Last time I looked at it was late October 2012 and the price was down to $4000. He had put the car together but it was not running. We didn't talk price but he said he had a guy offer $3000 for it and he felt insulted by it. I told him he should have taken it! We left without me making an offer, but something kept telling me I wanted the car. The next day he texted me and told me to make an offer. He was married, had one kid under 2 and one in the oven - he needed the money! I offered $2000 for it , as I knew it was worth that in parts if I had to do that with it. We ended up at $2400 for it. It was relatively complete.

Came with an extra set of SBP rallyes (very nice) and lots of extra parts and full set of KH disc brakes. Seats are out of 72 duster or demon and it had the 4 speed hump installed. It is currently stripped down in my garage waiting for the snow to melt so I can get back after it. I have found two real nice fenders and need to patch the floor and replace the tail light panel. I was going to rebuild the 340 when I found it was a mix match of parts (including 10.5 and 8.5 pistons!!!!), but recently worked a deal with a friend to trade a 440 from one of my truck projects for his very stout 340 he has in a 1968 Dart (he's building a stroker for it). So, long story short, it's been with me a couple years and progress has been a little slow (because I have young kids too), but I will keep plugging away at it. I am hoping to have it ready for paint by this fall and then see where it leads me! I can say that this is the most fun project I have been involved in, even after building a couple trucks! It's currently been blasted, etch primed, and has one coat of 2K primer on it. Bottom has been blasted, etch primed, and painted black.

Attachments

• IMG_20140301_141621.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 182
I bought my 1968 formula s 340 4 speed in 2005 for 200 dollars. It had been stripped to make a race car in 70 with 3701 on the clock. Owner mini tubbed it, sub frame connected, aluminum floor, 6 point cage. Car was missing a ton of parts and filled with garbage but had an 8 3/4 for my duster. Upon getting the car home and getting it cleaned out I found a brand new nos complete grill, header panel, lower front valance, 4 big block fluidampr(sold them for 250 a piece at the swap meet).

A few days after buying that clean shell I knew of another 340 4 speed formula s about 15 miles away.It was rusted very bad. I bought that car for 1700. It was complete down to every nut and bolt. Owner had never started it. I tore the engine down to find it still had break in grease on the cam, .30 over, cut crank, 2.02 ported heads. So basically a good cleaning and had mu rebuild 340. I used engine,pedals, trans, wiring, column etc to put mine together. The 3.55 posi rear from this wound up in my duster after all.

So close to 10 years later I am still driving it
6 months into work

[/URL
[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/user/racerkilla/media/my%20cars/barraCuda009.jpg.html]

[ame]http://youtu.be/4k4XIl_d0RI[/ame]

Here is my car now, After paint. I cant wait for spring to get here so I can get some seat time in. My kids Love the car and everyone in town is coming by to see it. So nice to have my first car back!

Attachments

• 10923287_10204581753642673_4896971260753609321_n.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 10426619_10204581681840878_8247661173030844167_n (2).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 160
I bought my 66 Dart in July 2013. But my story starts in 1976 with a 70 Cuda. It was my third car. My dad bought me a 68 Mustang for my first car that I traded for a 66 Mustang. I was hanging out with Ford people when I fell in love with the Cuda. He wanted a Mustang and I wanted the Cuda. Sounds easy but dad wouldnt allow it. Took weeks for me to convince him but finally I got the Cuda. 383 4 BBL, blew it up on graduation night. Next motor 440. My Ford buddy had an old chevy car hauler that I borrowed every weekend for the drags, by then it was 1978 and I was able to run low 12's. At this time I am a full Mopar lover. But as many stories go I fell in love with a wonderful lady that I marry (35 yrs this August) and cars change to vans. Sold all cars and parts to buy furniture, family grows we build a house, no toys for the next 28 years. Then in 2008 I decide on a 74 Corvette, but it didnt do it for me. So in 2010 I bought a 72 Corvette convertible. Built a stroker with an overdrive trans, 4:11 gears and it runs great and I think I am happy. But I just cant come to terms with it being my muscle car. Then in 2013, driving down the road I see this 66 Dart on a trailer with a for sale sign on it. I stop, grab a number and a few days later I make a call. The price is way to high, so I pass on it. A few weeks later its still sitting there. I call again and he drops the price to something more reasonable. Its still high but we come to an agreement. The car has never been on the road since the day I bought it. Straight off the trailer to the garage, The 273 doesnt start but I found an ignition problem, fired it up and then it sat for 6 months before any work started, so I am just over 1 year into it. Hopefully sometime this year I can at least drive it around the block with its stroked 408, 904 trans and 8 3/4" 3:91 rear. All new and in the car now. So much to do but my goal is to run faster then an 11.99 and enjoy a fun street car as well. Thanks for starting the thread, Ive enjoyed reading the stories!

View attachment DSCN1739.jpg

View attachment DSCN3746.jpg

View attachment DSCN2450.jpg

View attachment DSCN2315.jpg

View attachment DSCN1944.jpg

Rod

-
Back