Your Opinion...RARE.....

-

Small Block

Reaction score
....A bodies. Just to give you a feel for what this question is about, what in your mind would you consider to be a rare A body. List at least your top 5 choices of your opinion and i'm sure we all have one. Is a snake skin top duster rare? Would a /6 4 speed car be rare? We know the hemi A's were so now that you see where we're going i'll list, in my opinion, what i would consider rare. I'm sure there are some here that can provide real production #s should we get way too far fetched.

#1 SS Hurst darts/barracudas 80 or so of each
#2 Mr Norms GSS cars
#3 Mod top A bodies
#4 67 GTS Dart 383 457
#5 1976 HP 360 Duster
#6 How about any triple black A body/Triple White
#7 /6 4 speed A body

Let's hear from you guys and gals on this one.

....A bodies. Just to give you a feel for what this question is about, what in your mind would you consider to be a rare A body. List at least your top 5 choices of your opinion and i'm sure we all have one. Is a snake skin top duster rare? Would a /6 4 speed car be rare? We know the hemi A's were so now that you see where we're going i'll list, in my opinion, what i would consider rare. I'm sure there are some here that can provide real production #s should we get way too far fetched.

#1 SS Hurst darts/barracudas 80 or so of each
#2 Mr Norms GSS cars
#3 Mod top A bodies
#4 67 GTS Dart 383 457
#5 1976 HP 360 Duster
#6 How about any triple black A body/Triple White
#7 /6 4 speed A body

Let's hear from you guys and gals on this one.

If you break it down to a bunch of little options there are lots and lots of one of ones. You gotta start with motor, trans, body (fstbk,cpe, conv). Then work your way down to options. Then, there is desirability vs. rarity.

Rare and desirable A-bodies from the factory (under 100 at most)

1) 69 383 Barracuda S 4spd conv (7 -4spd, 10 -auto)
2)68 383 Barracuda S conv (40 4spd, 24 auto)
3) 69 Dart GTS conv (34 4spd, 39 auto)
4)69 '440 Cuda coupe auto (59)
5) Mr. Norm 68 440 GTS (think those were done at a factory not the dealer, can't find prod. #'s if any)
6) SS Hurst darts/barracudas (70 each)

That's the order of rarity but the complete opposite in order of desirablity/value$$ !!

Option rare and desirable.
1) 71 demon 340 4spd with folding top
2) 69 Mod top 383 4spd Barracuda Coupe (if they made one)
3) 69 GTS Green mod top 383 4spd (if they made one)

Non factory dealer/non-factory-involvement installed

1) 68 Barris Spoiler Barracuda
2) 69 Savage Barracuda
3) 72 340 GSS Demon supercharged

AGAIN listed in rarity order, but opposite in value.

I own a '69 Barracuda ragtop that's fairly rare. It's one of 40 with a /6 and a 3 speed on the column. It also had factory air but there's no breakdown on numbers for that combo I have ever heard of. I'm sure very few of the 40 like mine had a/c.
One I used to own and wish I still had was a T5 '69 Dart GTS ragtop. It was equipped with a 383 and 4 speed. Now that's rare AND desirable!
Dallas

My brother had a '69 Dart GTS many moons ago. It was white with a champagne green interior. 340 4-speed. Had a little floor shifter that sort of curled around back on it self. Also had rear bucket seats similar to 66/67 Chargers. Never saw another like it.

76 dart lites must be pretty rare. I've only ever seen one. especially since i've seen almost every car on autoxcuda's list at the mopar nats over the 5 times i've been there.

....A bodies. Just to give you a feel for what this question is about, what in your mind would you consider to be a rare A body. #7 /6 4 speed A body

I guess I will throw my hat in on this one....

1976 Dart Lite
Should be, by the literature, either a 4 speed overdrive, or automatic. Also in theory, should be disc brakes, with big bolt pattern wheels. It should also have aluminum substructure to trunk lid.

Mine is /6 3 speed manual on floor, small bolt pattern, with 4 wheel manual drums. Truck substructure is steel. Option tag verifies all but the trunk lid.

Production date is very late 1975, so it one of the very early Dart Lite models, which is why it has the 3 speed, and drums, and presumably why it has a steel trunk lid versus alumimum.

The difference is between rare, and desireable, and in that case, to each, their own.

Hurst Superstock Darts and Barracudas can't be that rare...between three of my friends they've owned 5 of them. Never saw a '76 Dart lite in my life.

70 Dart Gt. Dont See Many.
What About The 71 340 Swinger. Canada Version??

Any A body that is not GREEN or GOLD from the factory is rare...And we can NOT foreget the Dart R/T??
LOL Jim

Just how rare is a spirit of '76 dart sport? I can get one here locally that the guy bought from the U.S.A. and brought it back here 3 years ago. It's a /6 with 4 speed od and is in very good original shape, low miles, a really nice survivor type car. I can get it for around 5-6 grand. He can't drive it anymore because he had hip and knee surgury and can't push in the clutch to drive it. Is it a dart lite with the spirit of '76 option? I had a brief look at it after he bought it and want to have some opinions etc....before i go look at it. It does have a hang 10 type interior but the rear seat doesn't fold down.
sorry if i hijacked the thread!:-D
Tom.

I'm going to go with a rarity being the 1971 "340 Canadian Special" Darts. By all known accounts to date, there were only a total of 75 built and way fewer than half are known to have survived, and a lot of those are still project cars.
There is information available that says they were built in 1972 as well, but supposedly only a total of 50. I only personally know of two, neither of which is running or complete.
Daryl

Rarest A-body that I personally saw regularly that springs to mind, a local car that was a daily driver in my hometown in the late '70s, triple black '68 Dart GTS 383/4-speed convert. Car disappeared in the early 80s, I like to think someone bought it & restored it. It was fairly rusty for that time, would be considered quite good nowadays.

Hurst Superstock Darts and Barracudas can't be that rare...between three of my friends they've owned 5 of them. Never saw a '76 Dart lite in my life.
Judging by the number of 'original" ones that seem to be floating around now, there must have been 500-600 made. <g>

Lots of clones George. There were only about 80 of each made. Anymore than that are clones. I'm sure that some of the original 80 are dead and gone.

+1 on the 1970 Dart GT. Although I have one sitting in my driveway w/ the even rarer 318 / floor shifted 3 spd. Almost all that I've seen documented w/ the exception of 4 or 5 (counting 71' models) have 6cyl and column shift autos.

mine ( real 1976 duster 360+sunroof ) hes maybe rarer than a 68 hemi dart or barracuda ( i know its hard to believe lol ) but like i said its verry rare but its not even the 3/4 of the value of these cars ..

like someone said here , rarity and desirablity/value$$ !! can be verry 2 different worlds !

Joe

-
Back