Your thoughts on 32K mile 69 383 Formula S FB

-

cgfen

Reaction score
I typically HATE car valuation threads, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I've connected with a guy who has become a friend that is becoming quite the A body "Cuda guru.
He has had 6 or 7 in and through his garage in the 8 months I've known him.
He does not do rotisserie resto's, but typically does very high quality resto's in a fashion very sympathetic to factory original.

We are discussing me buying the following car and I would like to get your thoughts on market value

1969 Fastback
Light Green over Black
Formula S
Power Steering / Power Brakes
32K miles, yes 32K
Engine has not been opened to the best of our knowledge
Trans has not been opened to the best of our knowledge
Car starts / drives well
Brake system is sorted
New factory style exhaust, with larger diameter tubing.
factory exhaust manifolds
8 3/4 sure grip
150 mph speedo and tachometer (rally dash?)
AM radio
Console shift
excellent front headlight grilles
excellent rear deck trim panel

New factory style interior, original was a no-hoper
New re-pro dash pad
New paint in original color, but base coat / clear coat, not single stage enamel.
excellent original chrome and trim
good original glass

No accidents we know of
No panels required replacement during re-paint

Basically, the car looks like you were walking around in 1971 and saw this well-cared for 69 'Cuda sitting on the street.

I'll provide the price we are discussing after a few of you have provided your thoughts.

Thank you

Craig

Talk is cheap, show some pictures....

There's a booger on the windshield....

I'll jump in...never seen the car, but I suspect I have a really good idea of where it is.

$28-35k is what I am guessing, provided it is as good as you say, and has not been monkeyed with too much to get away from original (if you are a purist). I know where there was a recent example of a 383 4 speed 69 FB with 50k miles that sold for $40k, but it was a well preserved original with slight engine modifications. I am of the opinion that all things being equal, the 4 speed will always fetch more than the auto and be way more fun, too.

New fuel system, new brakes, new interior, new paint...anything else? I suspect there should be photos of "before" and "after" to document the work. I suspect the Cali sunshine gods beat the paint, dash and rest of the interior to crap.

if you don't have the cash in your hand you cant make any assumption.
recently sold my white 69 383 4 speed car for around 20k.
the car in subject is a green automatic.
it wont bring 28k. EVER

it wont bring 28k. EVER

Don't forget which country the OP is from, cars can sell for much higher up here.

I think the Auto trans hurts the value in an a body with a few exceptions (M codes)

Posts like this need pics.

Why did the interior and paint need to be redone on a 32k mile car?

depending on what part of the country the car was from, the sun can cook an interior and bake the paint in 1/4 of the time this car has been off the assembly line

it wont bring 28k. EVER

Well I suspect you are assuming that your car is a comparable example, without one picture of the car the OP mentioned. I hope to see what the car looks like, just as much as everyone else. While I agree that a 4 speed car typically will fetch more, you have to also agree that relatively unmolested, low mileage, NOM BB 1969 Barracudas are not growing on trees. I did go back and read your for sale thread, and looked at your car, and I will say that I think someone got a fantastic deal, and put it in their barn in Kentucky just before the cold weather hit (not the best time to sell a car). If 68s FBs were my thing, I would have bought it for sure.

The car in question (if memory serves) should be a rust free example that grew up on the West Coast, NorCal if I recall. People like solid cars; call us rust snobs (and having grown up in New England, some of the best examples up there are regarded as mediocre at best out here). Also, from the condition described by the OP, this car needs nothing, NADA, zip, except to jump in, hit the key and go. That tells me that it has been gone through, any and all, shortcomings addressed, and it is in large part, preserved (since he said it looks like a 1971 time capsule). That kind of car should be able to show well as a stock "survivor" (though people will argue the re-paint killed that status, and I also agree). I also assume that the OP knows what he is looking at, and is able to pick up on subtle details that can be missed if you are unsure what you are looking for.

I suspect that you could not find a good, solid, comparable example and build it for any number close to 20k including the cost of the car, even if you did most or all of it yourself. I also do not get real hung up on the color of cars. There are people everywhere that will buy a car for what it is, not the color it is. Its not like we have high impact colors that make a car stand out. They made 272 1969 FB 383 autos. How many are left that are that intact? I can tell you I don't have many in the registry, and the e-mails with cars of that caliber of car have slowed to an absolute crawl.

The world is a big place. What I can say is that there is a much larger market for these cars than here on FABO (or a competitor Mopar site). Ebay opens that car up to the world, and with some GOOD pictures, description, documentation, ownership history, etc, that car can certainly end up bound for Sweden, Germany, or even Canada (sorry to lump those guys in with the overseas crowd) for the range that I described, or even quite a bit more. It depends on if you are going for an easy sale, or have the tactical patience to wait. Even your own car made a trek from MA to KY.

There was a sleeved small block that did WAY more than anyone thought it would, and ended up sold at $47.3k at BJ (shudder). The car had cut inners, incorrect radiator, EI "upgrade" and other incorrect parts, though it was a 4 speed.

157662_Engine_Web.jpg

I will quote a member, "If you want to play with a real BB A body, you got to pay. This isnt the run of the mill ride that you find everyday. Find one in that shape for less." The fact that the OP found a good example in his backyard (relatively speaking) and can lay his hands on it is worth a small premium. Just trying to chase correct parts for a car like that will make your head hurt.

Bob McKan (member to our north) sold an absoluty stunning example for $45k. Started at $68k, and spent $80k, did the resto himself, and did a color change from green to black (a turn off surely for purists).

attachment.php?attachmentid=195379&stc=1&d=1291565070.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=195380&stc=1&d=1291565147.jpg

This car grabbed $30k in 2013, and was not a card carrying 'cuda (bummer), but another good example (even if it is a 4 speed).

SC0513-157077_1.jpg

And this one is a "comp", asking $26k back in 2012. If FBs were my thing, I would have bought it just for the wheels alone. BTW, white to me looks just as bad as green.

attachment.php

I am okay with my original estimates, even if there was a yellow FB M Code 440 that only asking $35k back in 2012...bet you can't get it for that now and it has not changed hands with anyone since then. Last asking $45k.

attachment.php

Not sure what number the OP is discussing since he did not want to put it out there, but I hope it is not way outside my original estimate. Since I was bored and the OP has a low post count, I did see that he joined back in 2010 and said his ideal car was a 1968 FB 727 car, and I suspect this one is close enough...there is a butt for every seat.

Discuss.

Posts like this need pics.

Why did the interior and paint need to be redone on a 32k mile car?

California UV killed them

I'll jump in...never seen the car, but I suspect I have a really good idea of where it is.

I suspect that you do, I will send you a PM with my email addy.

it wont bring 28k. EVER

what does this mean???
i certainly have the cash in-hand.
Thanks for the data point re 383 car selling price.
BTW I've had 9 A body Cudas over the years, but last one was in 1988.

Well I suspect you are assuming that your car is a comparable example, without one picture of the car the OP mentioned. I hope to see what the car looks like, just as much as everyone else.
<snip>

Will carefully read your post and reply in detail this weekend.

Thanks to all who replied.

No pictures because car is not "finished" at this time.
If I do not buy, I will pass on seller's info.

Cheers

Craig

Thanks for putting that out there...

I think this fact is overlooked too much. Yes it takes $$$$ and then some to bring some of those 272 back to decent status. Those like mine will never be quite as they left the factory,
and it would be to costly to get them there. Sacrifices have to made and really nice examples should be appreciated.

That said they are worth more than 20K. Some have sold higher than 45K and were not even complete and missing the important BB parts that made these cars what they were.

Still waiting to see that registry.....

Update
My wife and i bought the car (it's actually hers, I'm just the wrench)
Going into paint at the end of January.
Will post some photo's as we proceed and once I figure out how to post to this site.

Craig

plenty of work yet to do

Attachments

• P1010201.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 142
  • P1010210.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 124
  • P1010221.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 150
Update
My wife and i bought the car (it's actually hers, I'm just the wrench)
Going into paint at the end of January.
Will post some photo's as we proceed and once I figure out how to post to this site.

Craig

plenty of work yet to do
Updated 12 Jan 2016

It lives and runs well.
Still working through final assembly / tweaking details.
We will be at the Vista CA Burger Run on Saturday January 14th.

Burger Run

Not sure why my previous photo's are not available.
Uploading some now.

For Leland West insurance (5).JPG

For Leland West insurance (1).JPG

interior (4).JPG

For Leland West insurance (5).JPG

interior (4).JPG

For Leland West insurance (1).JPG

Last edited:
-
Back