Youtube

-
If you don't already, you may want to check out OBS for editing. It allows you to do picture in picture so you can film the video separate from the narration. If you want to do a blue screen setup, you can do that as well. without a solid blue or green background, the overlay will look not-so-good.

Editing is key.
If you can set up the camera while you work, then do a picture in picture narration may be a good idea.
"Here I am pressure washing a block before I take it down to the machine shop..." You will get more views wearing a white tank top, but people will take you more SERIOUSLY wearing a shop coat and safety glasses. Your call.
"Here you see me checking ring gap in the cylinders. Note how I have the top ring about an inch down in the cylinder and how the ring is square to the deck while I check gap with a feeler gauge..." explaining the entire process of squaring the rings with a piston prior to gapping, et cetera.

@Dartswinger70 was right, keep the videos to about 10 minutes. Too short and people won't want to watch either because they'll just feel cheated.

You may want to write an outline with bullet points on 3x5 cards for presentation, it helps you remember what points you want to hit. I know I ALWAYS forget things if I don't make notes. This is something that you may want to do, especially if you are doing a picture within picture narration.

Anton Petrov is a very good example of a format that works well.

Isaac Arthur can pull off the 30 minute plus videos, and he has a speech impediment. Watch and time the individual cuts in his videos.

David Vizard has some good videos, but his intros are annoying as hell, avoid that crap.

Growling Sidewinder If you want to put in any background music, be very subtle with it, check out several of these videos. You may have to search around because not all of them have an after action review. Note the piano has no other instruments supporting it. In this video, the background music is probably a little too loud. You can play with the volumes of the tracks with OBS.

Garand Thumb is a good one to watch. His presentation is very direct. Note his posture, it helps when presenting. He speaks with his diaphragm rather than with his chest muscles.

Razorfist is another good one with his editing. His high energy intros and ending credits work with his presentation style.

In any case, Awesome to see.
Now, I want to see Candy Girl. :poke: Get her running!
Another Garand Thumb fan, I see. Molon Labe!

I agree, 5 minutes or less will keep the audience.
I have started to watch videos that start off with the history of metric threads and all i wanted to know was how to get an alternator out of a caravan. Not really, but some tubers can ramble endlessly..
I do watch a lot of car build videos, halfasskustoms being my favorite. They are 30 minutes plus.
Metalworking tutorials at make it custom, has some great content.

Halfasskustom is my favourite too, also a fan of DD Speed Shop and Make it Kustom.

Can't forget Bad tree productions which is a YouTube channel I'm going to mention in my next video because they have a 73 crew cab dart and I thought that car is SOOOO COOOL that I went out and bought one like it. The only difference is mine is triple blue and a 72 but it's the car I'm building the 318 that was mentioned in my first video.

Halfasskustom is my favourite too, also a fan of DD Speed Shop and Make it Kustom.
I have the luxury of seeing Brent’s and Dan’s stuff in person. They both show up at some of the shows i also attend.

I have the luxury of seeing Brent’s and Dan’s stuff in person. They both show up at some of the shows i also attend.
So does anyone know if you want to get someone's attention on youtube does tagging them in the description or title with an "@" really tag them like it does here on FABO?

I want to tag Bad tree Productions on youtube so they know i am talking about them in my next video, is that how i do it?

Yup use @ when typing their correct youtube name. like @Franks garage.

Your voice volume is spot on
I hate it when you gotta crank up the laptop speakers just to hear the person describe what he/she is doing. This is especially noteworthy in computer associated videos where the person almost seems to whisper in an otherwise quiet room. Vice grip garage has it down: funny, informative and even has some good music when needed. Scotty Kilmer editing is hyperactive and the titles are click bait. One guy does everything with his hands out like your playing DOOM. That's not hard to watch either. Just be yourself. I like the accent, Care to tell us where from?

I was always curious about your accent, fortunately it's quite nice and far easier on the ears than some other Indian accents I've heard lol.

I've been wanting to start my own channel as well, this is some great motivation to start getting going with that. Great first video, keep it up I think you'll have great success!

--Khalid

So I have not mastered youtube editing. Truth is that I really have not spent much time on it.

It's taking me wayyyyy too long so someone suggested to me to just post what I have, straight off the camera and learn better editing and add pizzazz as I go.

It's easy to get nervous when the camera is on.
@318willrun

I just now saw this !! Glad you came through...
:thumbsup:

That is shocking the cross member is rusted out. That looks a typical Arizona body. Do you understand why

Some people watch others who have videos that go into the thousands of views...and they wonder how so n so gets as many views and think it's based on this and they think it's based on that... when plain and simple, it's the content...or facade. If you're boring and you don't know **** and you don't know how to explain **** ...no one's going to watch you. Whether its 5 min of crap or 15 min of crap, crap is crap. Not every video you're going to make is going to be deemed valuable in the knowledge sector..but who cares. Just have fun...and remember...
..All the titty cleavage, country accent, sexy voice...lmao..flash bang boom captions in your screen shot 'all clickbait garbage that screams this video sucks'..wont keep your viewers more than 15-40 seconds if the content sucks or is directionless.
Show and tells.. that's a handful for an audience. What do yoyou know that not many other do? That's where you aim.

Example
..tony never stops talking, people like that when theres nothing to figure out or need explaining... it's like talking to a dying car accident victim... "stay with me buddy"...other times you need to pause and let the thought sink in. What would you want to watch... because aside from getting a kick out of seeing yourself on tv.. if you're not entertained or feel like you're nailing it.. you're probably NOT making a good video.

As for my option, add some subtitles, some jokes, show your face! Some people wanna see who is giving instruction, their eyes.
Good luck with your YouTube adventure I'll check ya out.

The rest of you ..imo you're being insincere and stereotypical. You're choice to expose yourself by responding directly to me about it. Lol

You are an inspiration, thanks
As for me, I just keep it as an "extension" of the hobby. I keep it fun for me, and what I'm doing currently in my car life, that way it's genuine fun that I am showing. Also, it removes any pressure of "seeking to please every viewer". It's all about the fun, not perfection, so have fun.

Last edited:
Your voice volume is spot on
I hate it when you gotta crank up the laptop speakers just to hear the person describe what he/she is doing. This is especially noteworthy in computer associated videos where the person almost seems to whisper in an otherwise quiet room. Vice grip garage has it down: funny, informative and even has some good music when needed. Scotty Kilmer editing is hyperactive and the titles are click bait. One guy does everything with his hands out like your playing DOOM. That's not hard to watch either. Just be yourself. I like the accent, Care to tell us where from?
Another one.

Subscribed! You're off to a great start -- no fluff or unnecessary talking, you were direct and communicated your point wonderfully. Sound quality is great, not muffled or mumbly like so many YouTubers out there. I agree with everyone who has said not to worry about your accent, it could help set you apart from the rest.

One thing I notice with content creators is if they use a tripod, HUGE increase in video quality and watchability (is that a word?). Too often I'll see someone post a 20 minute (or longer) video that's shot entirely through a handheld camera or phone, and 5 minutes into it I'm seasick. This wasn't the case with your video as you were mobile and it was fairly short, but for longer content, I highly recommend a tripod. Can't wait to see more content!

This !!

Also, I highly suggest getting a microphone. If using the stock internal microphone, the audio tends to be tinny.

@318willrun your mail box is full. I swear I see Az plates on your cars. Clearly up north.
LOL... you DO INDEED see a "318willrun" Az plate. It's just a "name plate" to cover up my real plates on youtube. There are too many letters in 318willrun to have a real plate like that. :)

LOL... you DO INDEED see a "318willrun" Az plate. It's just a "name plate" to cover up my real plates on youtube. There are too many letters in 318willrun to have a real plate like that. :)

I have been all over AZ and was struggling to place the scenery!

-
Back