Yukon A-Body Axles / C-Body Brakes

-

ACME A12

It's all ball bearings nowadays...
Reaction score
I have scrolled through the archives and find several references to the modifications that must be done to adapt the A-Body E-Brake cable to the C-Body 11" E-Brake mechanism when swapping to the Yukon axles, but none that CLEARLY define (at least enough for me to visualize - maybe I'm missing something...) what it is that doesn't fit correctly and must be "massaged". Can someone that is intimately familiar with this operation please quickly outline for me what is required here? I'm going junkyarding tomorrow (I did the recon today and located 2 sets of C-Body 11" brakes) and unless I get some quick resolution to this query I'm just zeroing in on a 10" x 2.5" set-up instead. Any help will be appreciated.

Ray

I did that on my 67 barracuda. I upgraded axles to 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern and used the backing plate drum and internals from a station wagon. worked great and was a weekend project. Order the axles with the "green " self adjusting bearings and save some time.

Thanx for the input Robbie. I had read several posts that mention that the e-brake mechanism on the C Body 11" X 2.5" brakes had to be "machined" to clear and work properly. This was what I really needed specific info on. I just took the easier (I assume) route and scored the backing plates off of an '82 M Body and will go with the 10" X 2.5" set-up instead. Got the green bearings already. Run them in all of the cars.

Ray

I guess I got lucky, no problems with anything like that.
The waist high weeds and the cars were too close together
were my biggest problems.

Rays340,

I love the all you can carry yards down there. I got alot of
A-Body parts from Tampa years ago and the cars were setup
nice. The pull-a-part in Atlanta is setup the same.

11 - 10 = 1. That is the difference: one inch in diameter. That translates into the smaller e-brake cable being approximately 5/8 of an inch too short from the backing place fitment to the end of the cable to properly engage and actuate the ebrakes in an 11" setup.

Hey Guys:

Thanks for all of the feedback. As I mentioned earlier, this is all pretty much theoretical now as I have already gone the route of the 10" brakes. Maybe on the next one...

Dan: The junk yard action in the Tampa area isn't bad; certainly not as good as it was a few years ago, but that is to be expected. Still get a lot of mid-seventies A-Body four doors in the yards because so many of the retirees have been driving them around here for decades. One thing is for sure though, anything decent gets picked clean in a hurry...

Ray

I have never used aftermarket axles, but both of my sons' cars have shortened C-body axles with station wagon 11" brakes (The Dart has 11x3s and the Barracuda has 11x2.5s). There were no fitment issues on the Dart and the Barracuda was missing all of the parking brake stuff from the handle back so we pulled the parts.

i have dutchman axles in my 66 barracuda 8 3/4 narrowed housing 37 inches,flange to flange.11 x 2.5 shoes and drums from a c body,,using 67 A body and up e brake cables no problems,,,15/16 bore mopar performance master cylinder manual front disc;s off of a 76 dart lite,,,car stops at 100 mph better then any power brake car on the planet,,,,,no porportioning valve only an adjustable on the rear,,,

i wish i could find out what production mopar came with a 15/16 bore master cylinder,,,so i could get another one at the parts store,,,for my street rod,,,any one have in fo??? e mail me please [email protected] thanks

When I put the 10 by 2.5 brakes on my car that came on my 8 1/4 out of a 74 A-body I use the all the 89 fifth avenue brack hard including the e-brack lever inside and used the stock e-brack cables on the car. Then I put all that on the 8 3/4, worked perfectly on both. Which if anybody wants those I have them with all new hard ware, new well cylinders, hold downs the works, I went with the 94 thru 98 Grand Cherokee disk brakes on the back of my car.

Lee

Lee, how much $$$ do ya need for the unused brake and ebrake parts? And how did ya do the Grand Cherokee disks. I really like that idea, but I just got an A-body 8 & 3/4 housing with no brake hardware at all, so I could go either way.
I'm sure the 10 X 2.5s would work fine on my '63 Dart, and you said they would bolt right on. I'm up for easy!!! If the drums are available, shoot me a price.

What all do you need to swap the Grand Cherokee brakes? What master cylinder is needed for 4 wheel discs?

-
Back