Yukon Axle question.

-

Keith Mopar

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
When you guys installed your Yukon Axle's in a 8 3/4 rear, did you have to remove the centering peice in the carrier. (The peice that floats around that lets you set the axle end play) I went to put the axles with new green bearings in today and its like I can't quite get the axles pushed in far enough. Pulled the carrier out and the only thing I can think is this peace is stopping the axles from being pushed in all the way. :wack:

Has any one had this problem before?

Yes, if you use green bearings you remove the center piece the axles touch with tapered bearings

I used Yukon axles with the green bearings, I did not have to remove the spacer. every thing fit fine.

Well since there are 2 people doing it different ways, I'll try a second attemp at putting it together with the spacer, and see what happens. If that dosn't work I'll remove it and report back.

Well, I think only the clutch type suregrip uses the spacer in the diff, the cone type sure grip does not use it. Maybe that is the difference between the two ?

I believe that is what I heard from randys ring and pinion. what are your 2 case #'s, keith and mike?

redfastback said:
I believe that is what I heard from randys ring and pinion. what are your 2 case #'s, keith and mike?
I think mine was a cone type. I bought a set of moser's for another project a few years back, I had installed the Timken tapered brgs, I tried to set the axle end play, with the adjuster backed out it bottom out. called moser, their answer was to take a grinder to the end of the axle ( so much for quality control ). I ended up having a local machine shop take an 1/8 in off each axle. They worked fine after that. If you have a stock axle compare the length.

I had to take the spacer out to get my axles in. But I did notice that there are 2 different types of spacers. Not sure which one came out of which rear type, but they are deffinately 2 different sizes.

Mopower71 said:
I had to take the spacer out to get my axles in. But I did notice that there are 2 different types of spacers. Not sure which one came out of which rear type, but they are deffinately 2 different sizes.
Was it a clutch type suregrip or the cone type

You can take and rotate the spacer 90º to get the thin part of the spacer and if you are LUCKY the axles will go in.

That is if its a cone unit.

I was lucky on my MR.Norm's car and it worked.

-
Back