z bar and clutch pedal linkage

-

jlburg

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm new here and haven't made it through all the old posts. I just bought a '68 Barracuda, with a 318 out of a '74 satelite and an 833 4 spd. ( I was told ) The pedals are out of a dart. My question is can you move the z bar on the shaft? I need it to move over about 1/2". This would line up the bar pin with the pin on the pedal, in the middle of the hole, plus move the lower end away from the stater. I believe its the right z bar, though it only measures 7". I was told it all came out of the same car. Thanks Jon

It would be helpful if you could post pictures because it's a bit confusing trying to dechiper the problem. I've posted a picture of the z-bar and clutch pedal rod junction (white arrow) from my 72 Demon. Is this the area were you are having problems? If it is, my first thought is you may have incorrect parts for your car.

Attachments

• Quicktime Bell TTI Headers (15).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,805
Here are a couple pictures. If more are needed let me know. Thanks for the help.

Jon

Attachments

• 2012-08-08_11-37-09_825.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 795
  • 2012-08-08_11-40-39_853.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 827
Jlburg is probably right on you having the wrong parts. I ended up having to make mine from scratch using heim joints because i kept having constant problems with mine. Or you can go with a hydraulic throwout bearing conversion like i started to do before i shelved the 4 speed. Good luck

Hmm. Z-bar looks to be the right length, the lever on it looks like it might be bent though.

I'd be inclined to just tweak the lever a bit, you'll probably have to pull the z bar and put it in a vice to do it. If you can weld you could just move the whole lever over and weld it back on, its not an exact science, just get it to line up. With as much as the stupid z-bars sell for, I've considered making them for my projects. Its like $5 worth of steel and a few minutes of welding.

Ma mopar wasn't exactly stringent with the production line tolerances, what fit one car may not fit another one without a little tweaking.

I don't think you're that far off. Look at my picture where the clutch rod comes through the firewall (covered up by boot). The z-bar is not centered on the hole in the firewall, the bend in the pedal rod (look at my picture) should allow you to connect with your z-bar and with the clutch pedal attaching point under the dash. Have you tried connecting your pedal rod through the firewall?

Also, if you don't already know, Brewer's Performance is a great place for all things 4-speed, especially mechanical clutch linkage and parts. Their web site has an extensive inventory and they are a great technical source. Here's a link to their online store: http://www.brewersperformance.com/topcategories.asp

fwiw...if you get the correct parts and take your time your mechanical clutch will work just fine.

Are the clip ends poking in the center of the nylon bushings? The clip keeps the z bar from sliding back and forth sideways.

Thanks, for the info. Not sure if the clip ends are in the center or not. I'll have to check it out. I wasn't sure if it was bent or not. The rod was connected to the z bar, when I bought it, but couldn't get it to connect to the pedals. I looked at brewers. I need to order new washers and clips. Thanks again.

Jon

-
Back