Z bar just broke off in my hand

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
Hi,

So my clutch pedal started to not come all the way up. Then it sprang to the floor. I went and got a clutch fork adjustment kit from Classic industries at their new showroom in Huntington yesterday. I put on the new bushing in the fork, mine was missing as was the fork retune spring, so I get those on and it still won't let out the clutch with the pedal down. I figure I have to actually replace the rod which seems short. So i pull the rod by hand to push the fork out and it snaps off. It looks from rust on the break that it has been half way through for some time.

So now I need a new Z Bar. And for all I know the clutch is bad still too.

Anyone have a Z bar they want to sell?

Thanks
Tim

I might have one; however, it might be from a V8 (can't remember).

I think I am going to see about getting it welded. Will it be as strong as the original?

I think the one from my 69 Dart is behind the garage still, if it will work and you want it let me know, you can have it for the ride......car was a /6 with a 3 speed, if it matters.....

Just got mine welded, great guy in Santa Monica, Scott at major Muffler, same guy who helped me out when the wheel cylinder blew.

Off to try it under the hood now.

Tim

Is there a trick to getting the Z bar on? I am having a heck of a time. The bushings keep falling off of the pivot when I try to get the bar over the mount on the fender side. I have the bushing, spring and mount inserted into the other side of the bar and I was going to fasten it to the motor after I got the fender side in.

ARRGH!

decided to step away for a minute

put grease on the ball
put the parts that bolt to the bell housing into the the Z bar
before installing it to the bell housing also with grease will be easier

the grease will kip the bushing from falling
it will act as glue if you prefer

hope will help

Bob

That is pretty much what I was trying, maybe I do need more grease though. Will try again

-
Back