Z-Bar question regarding hole under clutch rod post

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm converting to 4 speed from a 903 auto in my '65 FS w/273. My Z-bar is the same as the one in this picture, it has a hole in the very bottom, below the stud for the clutch rod. The '65 parts book does not show the Z-bar hole, the service manual does, but it isn't connected to anything. The picture on Brewer's site for '64-'66 w/273, shows the same Z-Bar, so I believe it to be correct. What is that hole for?.

Z-Bar 2.jpg

Last edited:
There is a retaining clip (a weird shaped wire clip) that locates the plastic bushing. Look at exploded view of linkage and z-bar bushings.

There is a retaining clip (a weird shaped wire clip) that locates the plastic bushing. Look at exploded view of linkage and z-bar bushings.
Murray, No, not the small holes for the wire retainer for the bushings, that's not what I'm asking about. I'm referring to the hole on the far left side in the picture, its about 3/8". Can't figure out what it's for, '65 parts book doesn't show it, but yet this is used for '64-'66.

Last edited:
Dano, Yes I'm aware it is "correct" according to Brewer's site, and I'm not questioning Brewers. But look at Jeff Alder's pictures in post #5. The hole is not there. I'm thinking maybe there was a use for it in '64 or '66 cars, but works for all 3 years. As best I can tell, there is no use for it in '65 A bodies.

Dano, Yes I'm aware it is "correct" according to Brewer's site, and I'm not questioning Brewers. But look at Jeff Alder's pictures in post #5. The hole is not there. I'm thinking maybe there was a use for it in '64 or '66 cars, but works for all 3 years. As best I can tell, there is no use for it in '65 A bodies.

That Z-Bar looks like a 67-up LA V8 since it has straight arms. On those cars and on mine there is a return spring on the throw our arm that is just a cut into the side of the arm. Does your arm have a cut into it? Also consider that back when these cars were built, there were several factories in different locations and they used many different suppliers, so what is absolutely correct may vary.

Last edited:
Ill look at the other 2 I have Bob and compare. I know my Avatar car has an unorthodox spring under the z bar and the clutch pedal is so smooth it's like a hydraulic clutch.

That Z-Bar looks like a 67-up LA V8 since it has straight arms. On those cars and lime mine there is a return spring on the throw our arm that is just a cut into the side of the arm. Does your arm have a cut into it? Also consider that back when these cars were built, there were several factories in different locations and they used many different suppliers, so what is absolutely correct may vary.
It could possibly be. I didn't own that car since 1965. i just remember cutting the tunnel and removing that set of parts from the car and storing them in one box.

It could possibly be. I didn't own that car since 1965. i just remember cutting the tunnel and removing that set of parts from the car and storing them in one boFOr

For sure and not calling you out on it at all. My car had all sorts of wrong stuff in the clutch department when I got it.

My '65 was Originally a 3-On-the-Tree, I converted to 4-Speed...
but I used the Stock Z-Bar. It has the same hole as yours.
I have a Return Spring in there now.

20220527_210840.jpg

Here are pictures from both the '65 service manual and parts manual. Notice the hole does not appear in the parts manual (pg 6-2), but does show up in the service manual (figure 5), with nothing is attached to it. It certainly could be a spring hole, but why doesn't a spring show up in either picture? I can see the possibility of a spring there, but what would it attach to, and why would it be needed? I'm thinking there may be an other application this Z-bar is used for, but I googled the part number for it (2781876) and the pictures that come up all look the same and they all have the hole, and they are all for '64-'66 A body. I'm not trying to beat this thing to death but it sure is a mystery.

DSC_7183.JPG
DSC_7185.JPG

DSC_7186.JPG
DSC_7187.JPG
DSC_7188.JPG

Now that I see it assembled, its facing the wrong direction to be useful for a return spring. The Zbar might have been used in another application and the pivot welded to that location. D100 van or some other chassis. Mopar built a lot of stuff.

Now that I see it assembled, its facing the wrong direction to be useful for a return spring. The Zbar might have been used in another application and the pivot welded to that location. D100 van or some other chassis. Mopar built a lot of stuff.
dano, I was just looking at it again and came to the same conclusion. I'd like to know how Jeff's is set up, where exactly does the spring attach on his car. Picture?

-
Back