Zirgo fan switch

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I put one of these in years ago and had no issues, but I am giving the head a scratch today.
The fan I have is a junk yard no name but works great when power is put to it, has a real kick when she starts up.
I got one of the Zirgo adjustable temp switches and wired through a 40amp relay as shown in the drawing. I heat the bulb to check it and the fuses blow RIGHT AWAY. I used a 20amp as the drawing showed. Could it be drawing more than 20amps on start up which causes it to blow, the fan doesn't even turn before the fuse pops.
I thought a relay needed to be grouned as well?
Thanks gurus
AL

Attachments

• zirgo.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 125
What type of JY fan?I tried using dual fans from an Audi,no workie cause it was a 75 amp draw.:banghead:

Hey Scott not to sure what it is out of, it was on the car when I go it, wired to a switch and used as a pusher. Maybe I will have a look and see if I can pull any specs. Thanks buddy....hey...Happy New Year to ya.
Al

20 amp fuse? Not nearly enough for any OEM fan in the last two decades.

The single fan in the Mk VIII Lincoln draws 42 amps running, and about 55 at spin up. It is fused @ 60 amps.

Electric fan vehicles had 130+ amp alternators in the 1990's. Current large frame Denso hairpins will make 270 amps, to keep up with the bigger fans & electronics. If you plan to use a late model electric fan you will need to upgrade your charging system quite a bit.

Try a 40 amp fuse, since this is your relay rating. Good luck with your project.

I was just going by Zirgo's drawing which shows the 20amp fuse being used.
The wires on the fan I would guess are a 12ga? I ran everything in 10ga. I don't remeber the older one I did years ago having a fuse in the line.
AL

-
Back