72 duster resto

-
I remember reading a thread about someone having the same rubbing issue on a Duster here years ago. It was just a slight rub, so they either shortened or extended the brace from the fender to the bumper bracket to fix it. Don't remember which way though! :BangHead: Might be something to look into before trimming.

I remember reading a thread about someone having the same rubbing issue on a Duster here years ago. It was just a slight rub, so they either shortened or extended the brace from the fender to the bumper bracket to fix it. Don't remember which way though! :BangHead: Might be something to look into before trimming.

This one?

Fender braces

Thank you! I was looking at that brace earlier wondering if it could be lengthened. Still a bit stuck on the rear side of the fender. The bolt rubs the tire good on the opposite turn direction. Best I can do is swap tires down a size for that end to clear it or swap the bolt with a smooth finish one - not sure what those are called.

Will definitely be using my heat gun again

Well, back to the waiting game.
Ordered 2 17x8" front wheels from a 94-98 mustang bullitt edition which are similar to the torque thrust II wheels I have currently, only these have +30mm offset which will cover my mistake of forgetting the track increase on the new disc brake kit.

From what I can tell, I'll need to do a couple mods to the rear wheels to match them up:
1) need to paint the rear spokes with a clear so they match the gloss shine of the new fronts
2) need to figure a creative way to match the center caps on the back to the front. Fronts have a flat cap style that has a black emblem in the center(see photo). Rear's have the standard raised polished cup style from American Racing. Looks like there's a few places online that sell "flat" caps that match the mounting hole locations so I might be able to at least get the cap profiles to match.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 4.37.54 PM.png

Well, back to the waiting game.
Ordered 2 17x8" front wheels from a 94-98 mustang bullitt edition which are similar to the torque thrust II wheels I have currently, only these have +30mm offset which will cover my mistake of forgetting the track increase on the new disc brake kit.

From what I can tell, I'll need to do a couple mods to the rear wheels to match them up:
1) need to paint the rear spokes with a clear so they match the gloss shine of the new fronts
2) need to figure a creative way to match the center caps on the back to the front. Fronts have a flat cap style that has a black emblem in the center(see photo). Rear's have the standard raised polished cup style from American Racing. Looks like there's a few places online that sell "flat" caps that match the mounting hole locations so I might be able to at least get the cap profiles to match.

View attachment 1716045349

Be aware that the nose of the hub will probably interfere with the center cap on those wheels and make it so you can't run them. Maybe not, but seems to a common problem.

Good luck... I've got my fingers crossed for you... I'm slightly nervous about running into the same issue on mine but I'm hoping not since I got high backspace wheels and am then using a spacer to bring the attachment plane in...time will tell...

Be aware that the nose of the hub will probably interfere with the center cap on those wheels and make it so you can't run them. Maybe not, but seems to a common problem.
Good point. If that ends up being the worst issue im ok with that. I'll let you all know when they get here :thankyou:

As DionR mentioned, the bearing cap on the front hub will stick out past the flat face of the wheel. Also, you’ll have to run a 3/8” spacer on the front to clear the front hub or else have a machine shop hog out the center register of the wheel or taper down the nose of the hub. I opted to run the 3/8 spacer on mine.

A49CC7BB-E300-45AF-8AB2-34FED5FE8D86.jpeg

As DionR mentioned, the bearing cap on the front hub will stick out past the flat face of the wheel. Also, you’ll have to run a 3/8” spacer on the front to clear the front hub or else have a machine shop hog out the center register of the wheel or taper down the nose of the hub. I opted to run the 3/8 spacer on mine.
Ahh man. Yeah I was worried about the center bore size - the site doesn't even list the diameter. Thanks man appreciate the heads up. Sucks to give back another 9.5mm of offset - Existing wheels from 0 to new wheels with +30..... minus the spacer -9.5mm = ~20mm offset net. Torque Thrust IIs do have a +25 offset option but they weren't available to ship until May.... and I didn't wanna wait that long for a new front set of wheels. Hopefully +20 is enough for my existing 225/50/17 tires to work without too much fuss.

Ahh man. Yeah I was worried about the center bore size - the site doesn't even list the diameter. Thanks man appreciate the heads up. Sucks to give back another 9.5mm of offset - Existing wheels from 0 to new wheels with +30..... minus the spacer -9.5mm = ~20mm offset net. Torque Thrust IIs do have a +25 offset option but they weren't available to ship until May.... and I didn't wanna wait that long for a new front set of wheels. Hopefully +20 is enough for my existing 225/50/17 tires to work without too much fuss.
You should be fine with the spacer and your 225/50’s. I was running the spacer and 245/45/17’s and had the car sitting as low as I could get it without bottoming out regularly.

Also, here’s an idea you can use for center caps. I have the caps to put on my wheels, I just haven’t ever gotten it done yet.

1024DEF5-6F68-4248-89CA-1E498E4DADF1.png

Dry fitting the new mustang bullitt OE mustang rim. It doesn’t look like I need to bore out the center. Fits flush with the hub. Am I missing something?

Again the disc brakes are the dr diff cobra kit upgrade with BBP. Outside of the caps not fitting am I good to go?

5C2C2E5B-EDEC-47C7-A630-FCBBFB056967.jpeg

Dry fitting the new mustang bullitt OE mustang rim. It doesn’t look like I need to bore out the center. Fits flush with the hub. Am I missing something?

Again the disc brakes are the dr diff cobra kit upgrade with BBP. Outside of the caps not fitting am I good to go?

View attachment 1716047987
Ooohhh. I completely missed the fact that you’re running cobra brakes. In that case, yes, you’re good to go! The spacer (or opening up the bore) is required on the 73+ factory discs.

@DionR I think you're right... not sure what I can do about that. Before the rotor goes on, the length is pretty short to begin with, and these rims have a pretty thick mounting surface as well. I guess I could swap the bolts for longer? Unless there's some magic to the taper angle ideal for these wheels. The OE wheel site didn't have any detail on the taper to the lug nuts mount surface. Ideally i'd love another half an inch of grab.

I'm gonna be delayed anyway - have to ship my rear BBP 7 1/4 axles back to Dr Diff. Since these are a new product, Cass found a safety concern. "The axle may slowly walk out of the wheel bearing due to an insufficient interference fit between the locking collar and the axle journal. To be on the safe side, I should Email you a UPS return shipping label and replace the lock ring."

So while that's in shipment I'll be troubleshooting the front lug nuts and trying to tune the carb a bit. Gotta hook up the vacuum gauge and fidget with the fuel adjustments till it's a bit kinder at idle.

At SOME point i'll take my wife out on a date with this beast. She's been battling thyroid cancer for 7 years and definitely deserves a night out without the high pitch screaming from our 3 kids. :)

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 3.30.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 3.31.27 PM.png

@DionR I think you're right... not sure what I can do about that. Before the rotor goes on, the length is pretty short to begin with, and these rims have a pretty thick mounting surface as well. I guess I could swap the bolts for longer? Unless there's some magic to the taper angle ideal for these wheels. The OE wheel site didn't have any detail on the taper to the lug nuts mount surface. Ideally i'd love another half an inch of grab.

I'm gonna be delayed anyway - have to ship my rear BBP 7 1/4 axles back to Dr Diff. Since these are a new product, Cass found a safety concern. "The axle may slowly walk out of the wheel bearing due to an insufficient interference fit between the locking collar and the axle journal. To be on the safe side, I should Email you a UPS return shipping label and replace the lock ring."

So while that's in shipment I'll be troubleshooting the front lug nuts and trying to tune the carb a bit. Gotta hook up the vacuum gauge and fidget with the fuel adjustments till it's a bit kinder at idle.

At SOME point i'll take my wife out on a date with this beast. She's been battling thyroid cancer for 7 years and definitely deserves a night out without the high pitch screaming from our 3 kids. :)

View attachment 1716053617

View attachment 1716053624

Since you are talking to Cass anyways, I would talk to him about the studs. Assuming I am correct in remembering that you are running his front kit. Did you end up with a spacer on the hub?

Probably worth bring this up even if they aren't using his front brakes. Maybe he can make sure the rear ones don't have the same issue, unless you have already confirmed it isn't a problem.

Since you are talking to Cass anyways, I would talk to him about the studs. Assuming I am correct in remembering that you are running his front kit. Did you end up with a spacer on the hub?

Probably worth bring this up even if they aren't using his front brakes. Maybe he can make sure the rear ones don't have the same issue, unless you have already confirmed it isn't a problem.
Yeah i have his 13" cobra front kit. No spacer used on the front or back. The rears mount great still but that might be because they're on the torq thrust II's which have a thinner wheel mount thickness than the mustang OE wheels.

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 4.30.51 PM.png

• Got new 3" studs on order for the fronts.
  • Axles are being worked on by Cass and hopefully back soonish.
  • Ordered some new wheel cylinders and foam gaskets while the axles are out
Other than that just weatherin' these wild storms in California
IMG_0658.PNG

IMG_0659.PNG

Still waiting on the axles to get back. Kinda wish I hadn’t invested in the 7 1/4 but didn’t see any BBP axles around here for reasonable prices. Cass is at an event so waiting for his reply on my axles. Maybe I’ll get things by April? ‍

Alright, axles are back in :thumbsup:

Couldn't get the extended studs in the front wheel hubs myself - screw in studs are a PITA - since the hub itself spins I was wracking my brain trying to figure out a way to remove them since it requires locking the spindles somehow and finding just the right angle to get access to the bolts to back them out... Stuck on that - these mustang wheels eat up about 3/4" of the length available to tighten my lugnuts down on. Might just have to pay a shop to get it done since I don't have the expertise to do this. Note for those going with the 13" cobra kit - just go with the longer 3" studs from Dr Diff. I dont know why i opted for the 2". As it sits I have about 1/4" of thread "grab" that I can't access until new studs are on.

Besides that, the car runs like dump and pulls hard left so - next is check timing/tune the carb then limp it over to an alignment shop here in the bay area. Wife was hoping to go on a date in the Duster over Easter break but :BangHead:

-
Back