10" drum source?

-

72dartnotus

Reaction score
I have to get new rear drums on my '72 Dart. It has the original drums on it and they kind of grab if you stomp on them hard. I was thinking maybe it was the front to rear proportioning valve (I assume it has one) but the mechanic says it's not. I am in a country where people don't generally work on their own cars for a numbers of reasons, despite being a handy people -- there are no places to just buy parts for an old car, no car parts chains. On a trip to the US I planned to get the drums and bring them to the Middle East for the mechanic to install as he told me I definitely need new drums. It's also illegal to turn drums and discs here so that's not an option. I found that AutoZone doesn't have them, and either do Advance, O'Reilly, or NAPA. Advance said they could order them, and so I prepaid as required, and then 3 weeks later I inquired with them about where they were (since they said within 3 days they'd arrive) and they said jeez man sorry but we have never seen this happen before but they are stuck in limbo, not sure why they still aren't here...we'll inquire. Another 3 days went by and they refunded my money without telling me why, but I just saw it on my credit card statement. I called and asked what the deal was and they said they couldn't get the 10" drums, only 9" were available ultimately. I said do you think you guys could have communicated a little better? Why should I have to call YOU to find out what the story is? Anyway, online I tried RockAuto, AutoPartsWarehouse, and they have some listed 10" in their rear brake selection lists, but then if you drill down to the details or call they tell you that the 10" (or sometimes something close to that like 10.34") is actually the outside diameter and the inside is 9.something inches. AutoPartsWarehouse sent me the closest they could get me to my order (which were actually 9" drums) and I brought the 9" drums that they actually sent. I got the new shoes along with the order as well as 2 new hardware kits. The mechanic absolutely refused to use the 9" drums...he said, no way, no way, no way. He said even if you have to bring back a single used drum on your next trip you'll be better off than what you have, but these 9" drums I will not use. There's also a language barrier because he speaks only Hebrew and Arabic with just a little English.

That's the background.

Does anyone know of a good source online for OEM-style 10" drums for a '72 Dart Custom?

Jim
'72 Dodge Dart Custom, 100,000km
non-Jew (Christian) in Israel, Middle East

If your Dart still has the small bolt pattern you might post an ad in the wanted section. Also check E Bay.

I will have to check but might still have a pair of 10 inch SBP rear drums.

As you have found, 10 sbp rear drums are extinct and no longer manufactured so you just have to hunt until you find some. None of the chain stores have any and haven't had for a long time. Try eBay as suggested and anyplace else you can think of.

How do I determine if I still have the "small bolt pattern?" Is that a dimension measurement across certain lugs?

Yes, it's a pretty arcane measurement based on the wheel bolt circle. 1972 was the last year of the 4-inch bolt pattern for Darts. Unless you have replaced the rear axles and the front hubs, you will have the small bolt pattern.

One test you can try -- it is very close to the 100mm bolt pattern common to many European cars.

If your car had been converted to large bolt pattern, that would be 4.5 inch, which is significantly larger than 100mm.

Big was 5 on 4.5" bolt circle and small was 5 on 4"...also seen as 5x4. Here's a picture of the sbp measurement on my 71 Duster-measured center to center as I didn't want to take the wheel off. If the tires off, hook the tape measure on a stud and measure to the same side of the 2nd stud over. Mine measured 3 13/16" across two studs, skipping one. If yours measures the same...that's what you got! Might put a wanted ad here on FABO...maybe someone who upgraded has a useable set. Sooner or later I'll be in your boat. Might consider going to the larger bolt pattern and/or disks all around. Lots of threads and opinions here. Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 504
Does anyone have the original part number for the 10 inch drums? I am in a similar situation as 72dartnotus. I need 10's for my 67 Dart but the ones that O'Reilly's order will not work.

I put in a response, but I can't access it -- I don't know if someone deleted it.....
I have one pair of N.O.S. 10" x 1 3/4" REAR "A" Body SMALL BOLT PATTERN DRUMS
and N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ shoes -- so you don't rip up those brake drums....
Call me -- Craig -- New York....

One guy on ebay sells new SBP 10" rear drums, at a very steep price. You can cut the "snow lip" off a front drum (~$20) to make it fit the rear, which is what some have done here, and we think the ebay seller does.

I was going to do that, until I got a set of used ones cheap at a swap meet last summer. My plan was a redneck lathe, bolt it to the rear facing outward, idle car in reverse (lowest speed) and cut w/ a hacksaw. The spinning keeps the cut uniform. Buy front drums with a single snow lip for easier effort.

I bought mine from Mobileparts about 10 years ago(and shoes). Better snatch the last ones he got quick !!

Hi.. Im looking for a set of rear, 10 inch drums, 2 1/2" width, shoe size 1 3/4" small bolt pattern, for my 67 Barracuda. I dont know if the guy you replied to still needs them, but if he doesnt, I would be interested. what condition are they in? Please IM me. Thank you! De

What is the going rate for a nice pair of sbp rear drums?

My budget is small so I am crunching numbers and debating about swapping to lbp wheels this winter.

Mine look to be Chrysler parts and are in great shape.

Paul

I also got rear drums(used) from Stephens performance. Pricey at $75 each a few years ago.

Thanks to your question I read all the responses because I have the same problem. My 1967 Barracuda has 10" rear drums, but none of the parts houses even show that this is possible. They all show only 9" brakes. Anyway, OZ67CUDA said that RockAuto has them and he was right. I could not find them anywhere else. I just received the drum about 3 days ago and it looks fine and measures exactly 10" inside O.D.

I'm still holding my breath until it is installed and working.

Thanks to your question I read all the responses because I have the same problem. My 1967 Barracuda has 10" rear drums, but none of the parts houses even show that this is possible. They all show only 9" brakes. Anyway, OZ67CUDA said that RockAuto has them and he was right. I could not find them anywhere else. I just received the drum about 3 days ago and it looks fine and measures exactly 10" inside O.D.

I'm still holding my breath until it is installed and working.

I think the Rock Auto rear drum is actually too wide at 2 1/4 inches instead of 1 3/4 which is what you need. Apparently some folks have been using these 2 1/4 drums ok, but there has also been discussion that some compromise in braking will result.

Ditto. I bought some 10" rear drums from rockauto a few years ago. At least the description implied they were for the rear (a bit confusing). Turned out they were common front drums, but only $22 ea so I added them to my front drum stack. If after trimming off the snow lip, they don't rub on the backing plate, I can't imagine any problem. Perhaps the drum could crack 15 years from now, but that is true with any drum.

I'm the guy that recently posted that the drums could be purchased from Rock Auto. Whoops!

The site said the drum (Bendix PDR0174) was for 10" x 1-3/4" wide brakes. However, it was too wide just like Cuda68Scott said. The Bendix drum was exactly 1/2" wider than the original. So it hits the back plate and won't completely seat up against the axle hub.

i've used the ones that are slightly wider on my dart ... yes they trimmed the lip slightly so they would not rub inside backing plate .. NO issues as of today....

i have a complete axle drums rear assembly upgraded they are in working shape will give good price.

i've used the ones that are slightly wider on my dart ... yes they trimmed the lip slightly so they would not rub inside backing plate .. NO issues as of today....

Did you have them trimmed or they came that way?

-
Back