10 x 1 3/4 Rear Drum with Factory BBP?????

-

Essentialt21

Reaction score
Hello! I am at a standstill in my rebuild due to the dreaded 10x1 3/4 rear drums. My car came with a slant 6 and standard 7.25 rear with BBP. I cannot locate rear drums anywhere for the 1 3/4 brake system and the stock ones are shot. My question is being that I already have the big bolt pattern, what do I need to swap the brakes over to the larger 2.5 width shoes and more readily available drums, or if perhaps im just not looking for the right drum, a replacement for the 1 3/4. Appreciate the help guys!

-Shane

If you can locate BBP drums for the same diameter brakes but wider, can you not have them cut down to the narrower dimension?

I currently have 2 rear drums designed for 10 x2.5 inch brakes with the BBP and they have roughly an inch wide lip that i assume could be cut down to get them to sit flush. New guy question, where would one get that done? Autoparts store, brake shop..... First older car and its been quite the learning process

I currently have 2 rear drums designed for 10 x2.5 inch brakes with the BBP and they have roughly an inch wide lip that i assume could be cut down to get them to sit flush. New guy question, where would one get that done? Autoparts store, brake shop..... First older car and its been quite the learning process

Wouldn't you cut off all of the thick part if you did that?

it would only need to be machined down an 1/8 of an inch or so, my concern is that the 1 3/4 shoes with be seating on the inside surface made for 2.5 wide shoes. I would much rather do this by the book (swap or get right 1 3/4 drums) so I dont run into any headaches in the future.

it would only need to be machined down an 1/8 of an inch or so, my concern is that the 1 3/4 shoes with be seating on the inside surface made for 2.5 wide shoes. I would much rather do this by the book (swap or get right 1 3/4 drums) so I dont run into any headaches in the future.

That is a legitimate concern.

I still would contact Doctor Diff at the link in post 5 above.

-
Back