1000hp 727 full manual build

-
Did you have to modify the floor board to fit either the TCI shield or JW bellhousing ?
Yes, I did. I had to raise the tunnel about 3/4" of an inch to clear the belhousing due to being more than twice as thick.the shield just barely cleared.

Besides weight savings, what is the benefit of the lightened sun shell. What does a sun shell do?
I don't know

The front drum/high gear drum has tabs (for lack of a better term) that spline into the sun shell. When the car is in first gear, the input shaft is turning clockwise (which it always does), but the sun shell and High gear drum are turning counter clockwise. When the car is shifted to second gear, the second gear servo is applied, and front band stops the high gear drum with the sun shell from spinning. When the car is shifted into third gear, the high gear clutch is engaged as the band is released which is where the 2-3 overlap comes from.

Weight saving is the benefit of the lightened one, so less reciprocating weight. Also a stock one you can sometimes see where the high gear drum tabs wear the sun shell. The aftermarket ones I haven’t seen do that. So I would argue strength is also a benefit.

Last edited:
Yes, I did. I had to raise the tunnel about 3/4" of an inch to clear the belhousing due to being more than twice as thick.the shield just barely cleared.
Thanks, I was planning to add both and this helps.

The front drum/high gear drum has tabs (for lack of a better term) that spline into the sun shell. When the car is in first gear, the input shaft is turning clockwise (which it always does), but the sun shell and High gear drum are turning counter clockwise. When the car is shifted to second gear, the second gear servo is applied, and front band stops the high gear drum with the sun shell from spinning. When the car is shifted into third gear, the high gear clutch is engaged as the band is released which is where the 2-3 overlap comes from.

Weight saving is the benefit of the lightened one, so less reciprocating weight. Also a stock one you can sometimes see where the high gear drum tabs wear the sun shell. The aftermarket ones I haven’t seen do that. So I would argue strength is also a benefit.
For sure less rotating weight is a good thing. I will get it when I order billet input shaft and hub. This should be last step for me, but I'm swapping these only when trans needs to get off the car ;-)

There are clean neutral valve bodies available for people who need neutral after the run as to not decelerate down on aluminum rods.

Neutralizing an automatic transmission at speed with a stock drum is no bueno as you can explode it out of the transmission.

There are clean neutral valve bodies available for people who need neutral after the run as to not decelerate down on aluminum rods.

Neutralizing an automatic transmission at speed with a stock drum is no bueno as you can explode it out of the transmission.
I just reach up and hit the kill switch and throw the chute when needed to slow the car down. Never had a clean neutral set up.

I just reach up and hit the kill switch and throw the chute when needed to slow the car down. Never had a clean neutral set up.
Shutting the car off at speed isn't necessarily great, either. Do you have needle bearings throughout?

With the engine shut off the geartrain is starved for lube oil.

Shutting the car off at speed isn't necessarily great, either. Do you have needle bearings throughout?

With the engine shut off the geartrain is starved for lube oil.
Guess I should have explained better that I don't shut it off until stopping on the return road to through the chute in the passenger door.

-
Back