-

NHscamp

Go big or go home!
Reaction score
the engine;
la 360 .030 over,,
kb 107 pistons 15-18 in the hole, mp rods
Comp cams 280H cam and prw 1.6 stainless roller rockers
Indy heads from Brian /imm he recommended opening to 70cc.
head gasket was MR g 1008? .029 thick
Doug's headers

View attachment DSCF1573.jpg

View attachment DSCF1560.jpg

View attachment DSCF1563.jpg

View attachment DSCF1567.jpg[/ATTACH]

fresh engine ran good all summer,never heated, drags once but was starving for fuel, corrected.head gasket went wile cruising. It appears it kinda melted it is this typical? i am replacing both sides and will more than likely end up with the $200 cometic as they offer a .028. View attachment DSCF1574.jpg

View attachment DSCF1573.jpg

does this look like typical cam wear?View attachment DSCF1563.jpg

id check for block deck being flat and true. also the head as well in that area as well.

are you sure all the head bolts had been torqued properly and still to spec torque before removing heads? anything seem out of place as it was being disassembled? loose intake bolts or intake gasket not sealing fully? sometimes these kind of things can be over looked and become issues.

id check for block deck being flat and true. also the head as well in that area as well.

X2

are you sure all the head bolts had been torqued properly and still to spec torque before removing heads? anything seem out of place as it was being disassembled? loose intake bolts or intake gasket not sealing fully? sometimes these kind of things can be over looked and become issues.

Mr Gasket instructions have you torque in 3 steps. I go 30/60/95 and then 95 ft lbs a second time.

if there 1008 felpro they are 39 thou not 28. I have never had any problems with the 1008 . torque them properly and wait 12 hrs and retorque them .

yea retorque is a must after reaching operating temp on a new engine. some require it regularly if using alum heads for high perf.

Cam looks good to me. How bad was it starving for fuel? That's probably what blew the gasket.

Cam looks fine. Valves can rotate so the wear pattern looks normal. Did you have any issues with it spark knocking? That'll push a gasket out. Running lean sure doesn't help either even if it's just a short time. Was the block decked? Thin gaskets like that require a real flat sealing surface on the deck and heads. If going with Cometic gaskets make sure the block is super flat and decked to 50RA or finer or they may not seal

I would think the heads would be fine as they were just done by imm so I would put a bar on the block just to make sure its flat. All that being good, looks like it got really lean.

-
Back