14.45 with 12 sec combo... HELP

-
Okay. There seems to be concern about the 32*starting point I mentioned. Heres how I see it.
The OP, sorry Puas, Is not a seasoned track runner. He will have his hands full with a bazzillion other things.No time to listen for detonation. Theres shift points to determine,jets to change,air pressure and shocks to dial in,why does my car pull to the left?,Whoaaah, I need more brakes stuff, is my oil pressure going away? Then there is the excitement factor. and the adrenaline rushes, and your pit-buddies screaming stuff at you. Well, you get it.
Why risk it all the first time out? Once the chassis and brakes are working, and the excitement settles down, then you can start running timing loops.At least he will still have an engine left.
Thats my thinkin, anyway.

Okay. There seems to be concern about the 32*starting point I mentioned. Heres how I see it.
The OP, sorry Puas, Is not a seasoned track runner. He will have his hands full with a bazzillion other things.No time to listen for detonation. Theres shift points to determine,jets to change,air pressure and shocks to dial in,why does my car pull to the left?,Whoaaah, I need more brakes stuff, is my oil pressure going away? Then there is the excitement factor. and the adrenaline rushes, and your pit-buddies screaming stuff at you. Well, you get it.
Why risk it all the first time out? Once the chassis and brakes are working, and the excitement settles down, then you can start running timing loops.At least he will still have an engine left.
Thats my thinkin, anyway.

Not bad advice. I ran high 14s for a couple trips before I started making changes.

Glad to hear you got the ProComp intake, If you didn't get a 1/2" spacer (wood/plastic) I would get one of those as well

Bump your initial timing from 5* - 12* to start - set the total to 36* launch at the highest rpm you can on the foot brake (on the edge of the tires breaking loose), shift at 5,500rpm and trying working your way up in 100rpm increments to 6,000rpm to see what it likes..

Also agree - jet it down to what was suggested (70/?75?) - a AEM wideband is a life saver for carb tuning when you don't know much - it costs less than the intake you just bought. Have to weld a bung in an exhaust pipe, closer to the header the better, then +/- power and you can tune it and know which way to go(rich/lean)!

The Holley 750 carb I had on my Ford 302 was straight off a 500hp chevy 383, only changed the pump cam/squirter and of coarse tuned the idle for my motor - internal parts were not changed.. ran the best it ever did..

did you cats for get the factory books that chrysler had that tells you how to go how fast with each engine and body? late 60s-70s

-
Back