17” to 18” Wheel Option

-

Dartman_1

Dart Man
Reaction score
IMG_6893.jpeg

My car is currently on some 17 x 8 30mm offset Cobra Wheels and works perfectly. I’d like to go to a different wheel setup in an 18” x 9”, which several people have stated have made work.

Adjusting by an inch in width, what offset would I need if I didn’t want the wheel to extend out any further from the hub? I “believe” adding an inch of wheel would equate to a 1/2” change from the centerline changing the offset by 12.7mm, 30 + 12.7 = 45mm offset. Not sure if that math is right and if that doesn’t kick in the wheel to the inside too much. I’m using the 67 B-Body rear axle. Not looking to “roll or cut fenders”. Thanks in advance!

I've got 6 of those Cobra wheels in my shed. Do you have a picture of them on the car without the center caps installed?

@72bluNblu is the resident wheel expert when it comes to the 70+ Darts and Duster’s.

As for me, I’d LOVE to see/hear more about that shaker setup!

View attachment 1716077695
My car is currently on some 17 x 8 30mm offset Cobra Wheels and works perfectly. I’d like to go to a different wheel setup in an 18” x 9”, which several people have stated have made work.

Adjusting by an inch in width, what offset would I need if I didn’t want the wheel to extend out any further from the hub? I “believe” adding an inch of wheel would equate to a 1/2” change from the centerline changing the offset by 12.7mm, 30 + 12.7 = 45mm offset. Not sure if that math is right and if that doesn’t kick in the wheel to the inside too much. I’m using the 67 B-Body rear axle. Not looking to “roll or cut fenders”. Thanks in advance!

Your math on the offset is correct, if you wanted to go from a 17x8 +30 to an 18x9 without moving the outer face of the rim at all you'd need an 18x9 +43.

That's not going to work though, because an 18x9 +43 works out to 6.7" of backspace, and if your rear springs are in the stock A-body location with that '67 B-body 8 3/4 you probably have about 6.8" from the wheel mounting surface back to the springs. So, no room for tire or clearance with a +43 18x9. And if you've got standard 73+ disks up front an 18x9 +43 won't work there either.

But you're not sunk yet. Here's the thing, your 245/45/17 has a taller sidewall. That taller sidewall means the tire hangs out further past the lip of the rim than it will on an 18" rim. That's why if you look at 17" and 18" tires a 245/45/17 will fit on a 7.5" to 9" wide rim. But a 245/40/18 needs an 8" to 9.5" rim, even though the 17" version has a section width around 9.6" and the 18" is at 9.8". By the section width you're only adding .1" to each side. So, the rim itself will stick out further, but the section width of the tire, which is where your clearance issues will be, will stay almost the same, with only an extra tenth or so added to each side and the centerline in the same spot.

So, if I were you I'd still be looking for an 18x9 +30 to run with a 245/40/18. Especially in the back, because I don't think you have much room to give to the springs if they're in the stock locations. Like, none actually, if your WMS to spring is really ~6.8". You honestly might need less offset in the back, since the 18x9 +30 will be at 6.18" for backspace, leaving only .62" for clearance to the spring (assuming you really do have 6.8" there) and some of that will be tire, say .25", which puts you at about 3/8" for tire clearance. I've run that tight with 18's without issues, there's really not much sidewall flex so it can be done but that is as tight as you can go. As for the front, I run 18x9's with an effective +30 offset with a 275/35/18. That's quite a bit more tire than you'll have with a 245/40/18. When I originally started running those I hadn't rolled my fenders, only trimmed the lower corner and extended the bumper to lower fender brace. But that was all for turning clearance with the wide 275's. You could run more offset in the front, a +35 or maybe even a +38 would probably work with the 18x9's and 245's. But I'd be inclined to stay with a +30.

I've got 6 of those Cobra wheels in my shed. Do you have a picture of them on the car without the center caps installed?
Are you looking to see if the fronts are opened up? They are. Had them machined to accommodate the front hubs.
Your math on the offset is correct, if you wanted to go from a 17x8 +30 to an 18x9 without moving the outer face of the rim at all you'd need an 18x9 +43.

That's not going to work though, because an 18x9 +43 works out to 6.7" of backspace, and if your rear springs are in the stock A-body location with that '67 B-body 8 3/4 you probably have about 6.8" from the wheel mounting surface back to the springs. So, no room for tire or clearance with a +43 18x9. And if you've got standard 73+ disks up front an 18x9 +43 won't work there either.

But you're not sunk yet. Here's the thing, your 245/45/17 has a taller sidewall. That taller sidewall means the tire hangs out further past the lip of the rim than it will on an 18" rim. That's why if you look at 17" and 18" tires a 245/45/17 will fit on a 7.5" to 9" wide rim. But a 245/40/18 needs an 8" to 9.5" rim, even though the 17" version has a section width around 9.6" and the 18" is at 9.8". By the section width you're only adding .1" to each side. So, the rim itself will stick out further, but the section width of the tire, which is where your clearance issues will be, will stay almost the same, with only an extra tenth or so added to each side and the centerline in the same spot.

So, if I were you I'd still be looking for an 18x9 +30 to run with a 245/40/18. Especially in the back, because I don't think you have much room to give to the springs if they're in the stock locations. Like, none actually, if your WMS to spring is really ~6.8". You honestly might need less offset in the back, since the 18x9 +30 will be at 6.18" for backspace, leaving only .62" for clearance to the spring (assuming you really do have 6.8" there) and some of that will be tire, say .25", which puts you at about 3/8" for tire clearance. I've run that tight with 18's without issues, there's really not much sidewall flex so it can be done but that is as tight as you can go. As for the front, I run 18x9's with an effective +30 offset with a 275/35/18. That's quite a bit more tire than you'll have with a 245/40/18. When I originally started running those I hadn't rolled my fenders, only trimmed the lower corner and extended the bumper to lower fender brace. But that was all for turning clearance with the wide 275's. You could run more offset in the front, a +35 or maybe even a +38 would probably work with the 18x9's and 245's. But I'd be inclined to stay with a +30.
Thanks for the feedback. You have the Enkei PF01’s on a Dart Sport or Duster as I recall correct? If so I’ve see your ride on Pro Touring Mopar. Love your ride!

I have moved the springs inboard on the rear. It’s not tubbed (yet), but definitely can fit more in back there. That setup with those wheels is pretty tight to the outer wheel wells however and had wondered if an 18x9 x 35mm might work all around. The other option is to just put new tires on these 17” wheels and run it if I can’t gain any additional width out of this setup.

@72bluNblu is the resident wheel expert when it comes to the 70+ Darts and Duster’s.

As for me, I’d LOVE to see/hear more about that shaker setup!
Had AAR build that hood 20 years ago with my specs and had ordered a shaker scoop when they were available and somewhat affordable. I built the shaker support.

IMG_1169.jpeg

IMG_1170.jpeg

IMG_6934.jpeg

IMG_6931.jpeg

IMG_4748.jpeg

IMG_4745.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

Are you looking to see if the fronts are opened up? They are. Had them machined to accommodate the front hubs.

Thanks for the feedback. You have the Enkei PF01’s on a Dart Sport or Duster as I recall correct? If so I’ve see your ride on Pro Touring Mopar. Love your ride!

I have moved the springs inboard on the rear. It’s not tubbed (yet), but definitely can fit more in back there. That setup with those wheels is pretty tight to the outer wheel wells however and had wondered if an 18x9 x 35mm might work all around. The other option is to just put new tires on these 17” wheels and run it if I can’t gain any additional width out of this setup.

Thanks! Yeah, I have Enkei RPF1’s on my Duster.

If you’ve moved the springs in but not done a mini-tub you should be able to run 18x9 +35’s all the way around, probably even +38’s. With the stock tubs you only gain about a 1/2” of clearance on the inside so you can’t go crazy with tire width, but that’s more than enough to pull off the +35’s or 38’s.

-
Back