1963 and 64 steering column question

-

omotz

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The 63 had the red three on the tree column the 64 has the black one which will be going into the 63. The connectors on the wiring harness are different. My thought was to just cut them about 4 inches back and splice the wires together. They are the same color wires on both columns. The thing I noticed was that the 64 was an automatic car with power steering and it is shorter than the 63 calm, I don’t think that’ll make any difference since I put the power steering in the 63 thanks…

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What you propose to do should work fine. As mentioned, look at the two wiring schematics and make sure the colors go to the same relative terminal. Check the floor plates too, as those might be different.

Last edited:
What you propose to do should work fine. As mentioned, look at the two wiring schematics and make sure the colors go to the same relative terminal. Check the floor plates too, as those might be different.
I have no idea what floor plates are and it looks like there’s only one schematic??

The floor plate is what wraps around the column and bolts to the floor/firewall. They're not all the same shape. and have different bolt patterns.

Yes, they actually do The 64 has a three bolt arrangement and the 63 had four bolt arrangement. I can change that plate if I can figure out how to get the part off that attaches to the power steering box

You really don't want to disassemble the steering coupler unless you need to for some reason. It's easy to damage the boot and retainer, and I'm not sure you can get replacements for those early couplers. I prefer to disassemble the column, replace anything that needs it, clean and paint everything, and then reassemble.

Well, you could pull the wires out of the plastic connectors, then pull the wiring harness out through the top. On each column. Then switch harnesses.

I've done this without disassembling the column. But you could also do that, and while you're at it, switch the shafts from one column to the other.

Me - I would prefer not to cut/splice wires.

That's what I would do too. Take a few photos, so you know which wire goes into which slot. Carefully trigger the release tab on the wire terminal to remove it from the plastic connector. Tape the wires together along with a long string or extra wire to pull through the column hole. That way you can re-tape the string/wire on the other switch and pull them back through before you re-install the wires to the connector. Otherwise, it can be a pain to thread those wires through.

Oops, should have read more carefully. Since you put power steering in the 63, the 64 power steering shaft will be the correct length. No need to switch shafts.

Just finishing doing a full rewire on my 64 Valiant convert.
I used the fsm as suggested along with the book that came with the set up I bought from Kwick wire.

1000003160.jpg

1000003159.jpg

Well, you could pull the wires out of the plastic connectors, then pull the wiring harness out through the top. On each column. Then switch harnesses.

I've done this without disassembling the column. But you could also do that, and while you're at it, switch the shafts from one column to the other.

Me - I would prefer not to cut/splice wires.
If you look closely at the pictures, you’ll notice that the two connectors are different. That was my first plan.. then I noticed the difference….will be splicing wires

If you look closely at the pictures, you’ll notice that the two connectors are different. That was my first plan.. then I noticed the difference….will be splicing wires
Yes, the connectors are different. But the harnesses can be swapped without splicing wires. But of course you can splice if you like.

The connector in your hand is termed "twin-lock terminals", I think also use on Ford. I think it was used from 1964 until they needed more wires in the steering column, which was when the key switch moved there (1973?) to realize the steering-lock. I've taken some from 1980's Dodge motorhomes in the junkyard.

The 1963 connector is the same "Packard 57" spade terminals used in the bulkhead connectors and many other places. Don't cut the wires. You can release the terminals from the housings fairly easy. The Twin-Lock is easiest, just use a small screwdriver. For the Packard terminals, squeeze the connector longitudinally to compress the finger at the bottom, so it can slide out the slot in the connector. I use a special tool I found, but needle-nose pliers also work.

-
Back