1963 Dodge Dart 270 Convertible for the Wife

-
Yes I designed them for early A's 64-66 (have not tested on a 63 yet) they were made for my 64 valiant convertible and 66 dart convertible
Yes I designed them for early A's 64-66 (have not tested on a 63 yet) they were made for my 64 valiant convertible and 66 dart convertible
Do you have a web site or something as I would like a pair. Thanks.

The planets are aligning (literally too). Bob from GlenRay called my radiator will be ready in a few week, Transmission Ray called the 904 is ready, the chrome and trim parts I took in are home and the next (less expensive batch) dropped off and ready in a few weeks, found all the clips I need to install the trim and ordered them, all I need is for John to get my engine done and me to get the damn paint on to my liking and it will just be butt holes over elbows reassembling this old girl for her first show....

Ok rewind.... like I said the trunk was bad so I spent evening this week blocking more glaze but it is nice now.... also picked up the first batch of chrome parts and polishing... very nice work.... I'll keep that a secret till it is going back together.... spent today sanding out orange peel and getting back to where I was last weekend..... light wind tomorrow so up early and light wet sand these two coats and two or three good heavy ones then see where we are....

DSC_0528.jpg
DSC_0531.jpg
DSC_0532.jpg
DSC_0533.jpg
DSC_0534.jpg
DSC_0536.jpg
DSC_0537.jpg
DSC_0538.jpg
DSC_0539.jpg
DSC_0540.jpg

currently there are professional shops out there that have every available tool, piece of equipment, resource, etc. and can't get what you have accomplished with multiple people in years of effort, there is something wrong somewhere. This has become one of my favorite threads on the site, a little shaming as my progress has been much slower but

currently there are professional shops out there that have every available tool, piece of equipment, resource, etc. and can't get what you have accomplished with multiple people in years of effort, there is something wrong somewhere. This has become one of my favorite threads on the site, a little shaming as my progress has been much slower but

Thanks, don't feel ashamed, I am blessed at a point in my life where if I need something I just go buy it and can keep up the momentum. It is obvious to me that was not the case restoring a car at home could easily take years, just keep moving forward and it will be what you want.

What @66Dvert! I guess I had better take mine out and test fit them!
they have been put in a 63, but the guy didn't give me any pictures to prove they fit as good as the 64's did. the kick panels I modeled it off of was a 63 also but I didn't have any in my 66 to begin with so I tookl whatever parts I could find at the time and was available. I can mod a new mold up pretty quick if it's just the outside shape that's off (but ya gotta send me a tracing). If you need different ones, just let me know.

Recovering from the mess up last week was a bigger nightmare than I expected.... Wet sanded the 2 coats this morning but man it was tough getting so I could not see the sand throughs from 3 days ago.... I am there though.... also painted the aqua for the interior so now it is just clear time in the morning.. I need a lot of prayers tonight.....

Look the big movie star has seen the light of day for the first time since the My Classic Car recording in January.... she is disgusting filthy.....

DSC_0541.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

DSC_0546.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0548.jpg

Recovering from the mess up last week was a bigger nightmare than I expected.... Wet sanded the 2 coats this morning but man it was tough getting so I could not see the sand throughs from 3 days ago.... I am there though.... also painted the aqua for the interior so now it is just clear time in the morning.. I need a lot of prayers tonight.....

Look the big movie star has seen the light of day for the first time since the My Classic Car recording in January.... she is disgusting filthy.....

View attachment 1715511875

View attachment 1715511876

View attachment 1715511877

View attachment 1715511878

View attachment 1715511879

View attachment 1715511880

View attachment 1715511881

View attachment 1715511882
That is way nicer than when Ma mopar built her originally.

Hey Jim, was that a headlight bezel i spotted from your chrome package? How did they turn out?

Hey Jim, was that a headlight bezel i spotted from your chrome package? How did they turn out?

One is like new the other is way way better. If you stare at it you can see a few flaws and it is not quite exactly round but It is so shiny who cares. :)

Early paint fest. Done by 8am. Needs a few bugs sanded out and 2 more coats in the morning.

439FBC9F-519E-489F-98E3-98FB21824A76.jpeg
B328A39E-7E8D-48C2-AEE4-CBCB36D608F2.jpeg
69DF6577-0F7F-4CE0-9EC5-69284D1803D9.jpeg
9EC87776-49D9-4C7A-B058-DB63B0C5CDE6.jpeg
B4DD9959-9F7F-4965-B672-041D46665589.jpeg
CCC6977A-EBB8-411F-8BB1-342262320FE6.jpeg

Looks awesome Jim. I got some metal work done this last week on 2 projects. The Swinger got a new drivers floor pan and the fastback got inner and outer cowl and both passenger side floor pans. You make it look so easy.

My whole body hurts right now just thinking of all the hard work you put in. Kudos to you! The color is great and I really like the way it changes in the different lighting.

The first time I ever did this was traumatic but I get it now. The clear will easily fill these scratches so never fear....

_Lightly_ scuff the finish with a red scotch bright (~400 grit). Notice how the junk just jumps out at you... spray on some W&G remover and gently sand it out with 800. Depending on what it is you may not get it all out. I will pick at it with a fingernail and if it comes out that is great. It leave a depression but there is base under it and the next 4 coats will fill it up and you will never know it was there.

Dry you would flip out looking at it but the W&G remover mimics more clear and with that film on it filling the scratches it looks perfect, if you don't sand through.... sand through the clear and your life can become miserable. SPI solid base easy, spray on some more to blend it and done. This Motobase metallic.... way more problematic.... It is better to leave a tiny imperfection than dealing with what happens if you sand through....

She is all done ready to get slammed with 2 coats in the morning before work.

DSC_0550.jpg
DSC_0551.jpg
DSC_0553.jpg
DSC_0554.jpg
DSC_0555.jpg
DSC_0556.jpg
DSC_0557.jpg
DSC_0558.jpg

Last edited:
Will be using some PTO time this week :). 3 more good coats of clear and time to bask in the sun for a few days. Oodles of runs to sand out but that is better than dry spray..... The third coat I was not worried about the dust (natures pearl) since that coat will mostly be sanded off... Looks better in the photo so when it is finally finished and cut and buffed... wow.

DSC_0559.jpg
DSC_0560.jpg
DSC_0561.jpg
DSC_0562.jpg
DSC_0563.jpg
DSC_0564.jpg
DSC_0565.jpg
DSC_0566.jpg
DSC_0567.jpg

-
Back