1963 Plymouth valiant problem!!!

-

jeremy moody

Reaction score
I have a 1963 Plymouth valiant my dad was replacing the condenser and he thinks he lost the bolt for the condenser into the distributor hole. What kind of problem can this cause? Please let me know thanks.

Um.....you really need to find that bolt....
DO NOT START THE ENGINE

Jeff

I tried to turn it over already what kind of damage can it do ? Should I take the distributor off and look for it?
What damage "can" it do?
Too many things to list.....
Get a telescoping magnet and try to find it!

Jeff

What damage "can" it do?

Jeff
Ok yea he's not for sure it went in there but it's a possibility I hope it didn't would it be ok to remove the distributor and look or should the magnet be ok ? I'm hoping me trying to start it didn't mess anything up it never made no weird noises or anything

What damage "can" it do?

Jeff

Yep, and if you got lucky it's in the pan and the magnet can get it.
Just to be clear, he dropped the screw down inside the motor while changing the condenser?
Or dropped it down inside the distributor housing?

If it went in the motor look in the oil pump gear drive slot.
You might have got REALLY lucky. :D

Yep, and if you got lucky it's in the pan and the magnet can get it.
Just to be clear, he dropped the screw down inside the motor while changing the condenser?
Or dropped it down inside the distributor housing?

If it went in the motor look in the oil pump gear drive slot.
You might have got REALLY lucky. :D
I wish I had a pic of the distributor hole in talking about he was taking the little bolt for the condenser out and after he got it off there is a hole under the condenser and he thinks it fell in that hole. I need a pic I don't know how to post pics on here or I would to show you

image.jpg

I wish I had a pic of the distributor hole in talking about he was taking the little bolt for the condenser out and after he got it off there is a hole under the condenser and he thinks it fell in that hole. I need a pic I don't know how to post pics on here or I would to show you

Sounds like it's in the distributor then?
Was the distributor in the motor and the oil sender in the block?

Go to www.google.com/images, then type in something like 66 Valiant distributor and see if you can find and post a pic that shows where you are talking about.

Oh, you got it.
One of those holes next to the condenser just goes down inside the distributor.
Easiest would be to mark the distributor housing to block location, as well as rotor to distributor housing and pull it so you can turn it upside down and shake it out. (if it's in there) :D

(DO NOT turn the motor with the distributor out)
Drop it back in using the marks you made to line it back up and there ya go.

Last edited:
so the round hole in this pic that's above the condenser that's the hole I believe

If it's in there you should be able to shake it out, once it's out of the motor.
Follow the procedure I posted above.

You may have dodged a bullet. .....if it fell in the distributor

Jeff
Yes it would have fell into one of those 2 holes by the condenser I don't know how far down those holes go or where they go but hopefully I didn't do anything major like I said it didn't make any weird sounds or anything. I guess I will take it out and check thank you guys I don't know much about cars and my dad is an older guy so I think he's losing his touch lol .

Yes it would have fell into one of those 2 holes by the condenser I don't know how far down those holes go or where they go but hopefully I didn't do anything major like I said it didn't make any weird sounds or anything. I guess I will take it out and check thank you guys I don't know much about cars and my dad is an older guy so I think he's losing his touch lol .
Sounds better than the discription in your first post...
Follow Trailbeast's instructions in post #10 and all will be well.

As for not knowing much about cars, hang out around here and you'll get up to speed!

Jeff

Th
Sounds better than the discription in your first post...
Follow Trailbeast's instructions in post #10 and all will be well.

As for not knowing much about cars, hang out around here and you'll get up to speed!

Jeff
thanks guys I appreciate the help I don't think it fell in there but better safe than sorry

Why in the holy WORLD would you even THINK about spinning the engine over if you even thought the screw was in the distributor? Sounds to me like you actually want to tear something up. This is simple. Remove the distributor. Tear it SLAM apart if you have to and make sure the screw is not in there.

Why in the holy WORLD would you even THINK about spinning the engine over if you even thought the screw was in the distributor? Sounds to me like you actually want to tear something up. This is simple. Remove the distributor. Tear it SLAM apart if you have to and make sure the screw is not in there.
I don't know anything about cars I don't think it fell in there I was pretty much asking if it did whàt would happen if it was .calm down buddy thanks for your input though. I don't know what all goes on in the distributor I'm trying to learn about cars .

I don't know anything about cars I don't think it fell in there I was pretty much asking if it did whàt would happen if it was .calm down buddy thanks for your input though. I don't know what all goes on in the distributor I'm trying to learn about cars .
You have now met Rusty...:thumbsup:
Great guy if not a little rough sometimes!
One of the forum experts....just don't take him too personally :lol:

Jeff

You have now met Rusty...:thumbsup:
Great guy if not a little rough sometimes!
One of the forum experts....just don't take him too personally :lol:

Jeff
He's good I just need to understand what parts do I could have really messed some stuff up . I know it wasn't good for that screw to go in there . I'm just hoping it fell somewhere else

-
Back