1964 cuda push button to .....what?

-

PWN

Reaction score
Title might be confusing, sorry.

What is involved with pulling out the orig push button shifter and going with a floor shifter? Other than completely re designing the dash and moving it from there to the floor?

Any suggestions on what to go with is appreciated.

Undecided on rear end...either 8 3/4 or dana 60, not sure on gears( a new 8 3/4 most likely)

Undecided on motor, leaning towards a new hemi crate (gen III) or a 360 built up to around 400hp

I have a rebuilt 727 trans ...no stall conv yet

I don't think you can convert a push button TorqueFlite to a floor shift. The buttons have individual cables that route to the shift mechanism. These cables need to be fairly precise in their adjustment to work properly. A non-cable shift tranny would be a more practical choice if you want floor shift. If I'm wrong here feel free to chime in. Good luck with your build.

if you use a 65 style floor shift with a 65 style valve body you can have a floor shift..

or mount your pushbuttons in a console & have a pushbutton floor unit, Lawrence

Depends on what you want to change.

My 65 has a 727 and a B&M floor shifter with the single cable. Works just fine.

In your case you could remove the shifting from the left side of the column & build a plate to mount a tach or other gauges.

B.

I'm not trying to keep the push button. Basically just wanted to match a new shift assembly up to the new 727. Is it as easy as finding a new auto shift assembly and cutting it into the center console? If anyone has done anything like this, what did you salvage from or buy new?

I think they mistook your intentions.
what you are looking for is the dash face plate from a stick shift car. (no buttons)
remove the buttons or the whole box.
keep your auto column and mount whatever you want on the floor.

There are panels that will replace the push button panel. I think the manual cars only have the headlight switch in that panel, but I could be wrong.

I'm not trying to keep the push button. Basically just wanted to match a new shift assembly up to the new 727. Is it as easy as finding a new auto shift assembly and cutting it into the center console? If anyone has done anything like this, what did you salvage from or buy new?

1966 Barracuda has floor shifter for the auto trans. Get that set up and install it. I think the manual trans Barracudas use a shifter delete face plate where you now have push buttons. If you can find a shifter delete face plate remove the push button set up and install the delete plate.

attachment.php

If you're switching to a later 727 with the slip yoke, then you can use just about any aftermarket shifter, or like mentioned above, you can go with the 66 style console and shifter which is the same basic console from 66-76.

You will also have to do some slight mods to the tranny tunnel so it will clear the 727

If you're switching to a later 727 with the slip yoke, then you can use just about any aftermarket shifter, or like mentioned above, you can go with the 66 style console and shifter which is the same basic console from 66-76.

You will also have to do some slight mods to the tranny tunnel so it will clear the 727

Think its out of a 72'ish van. I think I'm gonna do a custom console but the delete plate is a good idea too....just have to see what I can come up with. There are 2 64 cudas on ebay with those plates...think they were 4 speeds? Whole car though, might be a good deal there for someone anyway...one of them looks pretty complete.

So....after market shifter and some fab work to the tranny tunnel and figure out a deleter plate or redo the whole dash custom.

-
Back