1964 dodge dart Rear End

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
hey hows it going mopar head i been thinking i want to swap my rear end cause it vibrates and shakes while i go around 35 the more people the more shake i was wondering what year rear ends can i swap it i have a slant six push button two door? can i use a rear end froma 1966 plymouth valiant? let me know THANKS!

I'm guessing it has the 7 1/4 rear, any 7 1/4 rear should work as long as the width and spring perches measure up. The later 7 1/4 rears will have the larger bolt pattern for the wheels, something to keep in mind when looking, you don't want to carry 2 spare tires.

Why do you think it's the rear end causing the vibration???

oh i see because i put a new used drive shaft and its starting to go bad just like the one before when i go like 50 the rear end shakes like hell so i have to slow down also when the car is jacked up and in park i have some play or movement moving the tire back and forth

I'm guessing it has the 7 1/4 rear, any 7 1/4 rear should work as long as the width and spring perches measure up. The later 7 1/4 rears will have the larger bolt pattern for the wheels, something to keep in mind when looking, you don't want to carry 2 spare tires.

.s

oh i see because i put a new used drive shaft and its starting to go bad just like the one before when i go like 50 the rear end shakes like hell so i have to slow down also when the car is jacked up and in park i have some play or movement moving the tire back and forth

Gotcha, it sounds as though you have a bad axle bearing maybe. You can rebuild the rear you have now.

***Only if it came from a disc brake car. The 73 up A bodies with front drum brakes still have the small bolt pattern.

Play as in what direction? Pulling/pushing the tire or moving it sideways?

Did it work correctly right after you put in the used drive shaft? Those ball and trunion drive shafts are a PIA when they get worn. Maybe the used drive shaft is bad too.

Play as in what direction? Pulling/pushing the tire or moving it sideways?

Did it work correctly right after you put in the used drive shaft? Those ball and trunion drive shafts are a PIA when they get worn. Maybe the used drive shaft is bad too.
just rotating the tire back and forth as if it where driving when its in park there alot of play ya it worked fine for like a couple days the more people i have in the back seat the more it shakes when i have one passager it is fine two or more it vibes like around 10 miles very bad

-
Back