1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
Vixen's gettin an upgrade. I had some Hella H4 conversion headlamps and I put them in along with one of @crackedback's upgraded headlight harnesses. Having the real deal Cibies in my truck, the Hellas literally paled in comparison. So I've been watching EBay and found this pair with bulbs really reasonable. Going to put them in tomorrow. IMO, the Cibie E code lamps are the best H4 headlamp money can buy.

CIBIE.jpg

I had a pair of those with 80-100 watt bulbs in my TR6. Perfect for flying low through the desert at night.

Well, I knew it was comin sooner or later. It's had a small exhaust leak the whole time. The manifold system on these ain't the strongest design by a long shot. The center vertical large stud that connects the manifolds together was broken when I got the car. Also, one of the ears where the pipe connects is broken. Plus, the very front nut on the exhaust manifold was backed out several threads and the washer was missing, so I knew there were some issues. The exhaust leak has gone from almost undetectable to Kitty askin "what's that noise?" so it's time to fix everything up right. Got the manifolds off and amazingly, didn't break the first stud. I have a few different manifolds to choose from so I have that part covered.

VIXEN MANIFOLD JOB.jpg

Super six two barrel or sticking with the 1920 Holley single? Either way lots of fun.

It's a Carter BBS that I put a kit in not too long ago. I have a Super Six intake and I'd love to upgrade, but I want a 32/36 Weber and I cannot afford one quite yet.

Well, I knew it was comin sooner or later. It's had a small exhaust leak the whole time. The manifold system on these ain't the strongest design by a long shot. The center vertical large stud that connects the manifolds together was broken when I got the car. Also, one of the ears where the pipe connects is broken. Plus, the very front nut on the exhaust manifold was backed out several threads and the washer was missing, so I knew there were some issues. The exhaust leak has gone from almost undetectable to Kitty askin "what's that noise?" so it's time to fix everything up right. Got the manifolds off and amazingly, didn't break the first stud. I have a few different manifolds to choose from so I have that part covered.

View attachment 1715544496
Time for headers?

Nope. Gonna stick with the exhaust manifold. Nobody makes headers to fit the 170 anyway.
Ah gotcha if nobody makes them that sounds like a good diy project! Haha iv never fabed any headers looks like it would be doable tho. Nothing wrong with sticking with the manifold!

Nope. Gonna stick with the exhaust manifold. Nobody makes headers to fit the 170 anyway.
I remember when I was running 225's, there were two different size outlet manifolds. We found the larger outlet exhaust manifold, and that along with the super six and cutting the head .100 really was like adding another engine to it.

Ah gotcha if nobody makes them that sounds like a good diy project! Haha iv never fabed any headers looks like it would be doable tho. Nothing wrong with sticking with the manifold!

I have some more tricks up my sleeve.

I remember when I was running 225's, there were two different size outlet manifolds. We found the larger outlet exhaust manifold, and that along with the super six and cutting the head .100 really was like adding another engine to it.

I've looked and looked for a manifold with the bigger outlet. I have either six or seven now. all of them are 2" or less. I would love to find a big out manifold before I put this back together. I don't see it happenin.

I've looked and looked for a manifold with the bigger outlet. I have either six or seven now. all of them are 2" or less. I would love to find a big out manifold before I put this back together. I don't see it happenin.
:lol:

dremel-4000-rotary-tool-outfit.jpg

I got some super nice sun visors from @64conv65hard. They were blue, but of course with red interior we caint have all that. I painted them red. The flash makes them look way brighter, but they are bright. They look good in there. I also put my day/night mirror thanks to @cchrishefish. Lastly, I got my front seat relocated 1.5" back thanks to the link provided by @Rakers_SS. I thank you all as you've each helped me achieve a little more.

VIXEN SUN VISORS.jpg

The industrial application of the Slant 6 on the John Deere Swather had the big maniflolds. Talked to the guy about it when I sold him the replacement slant 6. Unfortunately his big manifold was cracked, so he just used the truck manifold on his application.

The industrial application of the Slant 6 on the John Deere Swather had the big maniflolds. Talked to the guy about it when I sold him the replacement slant 6. Unfortunately his big manifold was cracked, so he just used the truck manifold on his application.
Not sure how to go about a search,but back in ole Missouri there are lots of old combines out of work many with that slant six. I am thinking Gleamer combine also. That and the 2 bbl intake I have bought them back there for $75 for the pair, but shipping wold be $100 !!!!

That's some cool info. Well, I now have 2 big port manifolds. Freddie called me last night and said he got the 2nd manifold out to 2.504". LOL So I have one with a complete 2.5" outlet now. It does not have the hot air flapper in it, so it will flow even more. I'll let him do a port match when I finally get the head ported, but I'll use it on the 170 for now. When I finally get the TTI exhaust on it, it caint hurt, right? I'll have pictures of the 2nd manifold later on today or tomorrow.

Thanks yall. What I caint believe is how quick it revs. The accelerator pump finally did give up and I put a kit in the carburetor. After that, it just flings up real quick. lol

Yeah, I just replaced mine the other day.... Totally crazy the difference.....

30 Pages and I finally got motivated to get off my *** and bring my valiant in to get started and pretty much following your footsteps here.

I'm going to just get the car running and driving with the running slant out of my 72 demon. There is no driveline in the car right now.

Not the final engine for this valiant but the slant I'm building with the hyper pak ran into a snag.

So here it goes, VIXEN II LOL.

Thanks for helping motorvate

20200622_201546.jpg

20200622_202253.jpg

20200622_203518.jpg

Last edited:
30 Pages and I finally got motivated to get off my *** and bring my valiant in to get started and pretty much following your footsteps here.

I'm going to just get the car running and driving with the running slant out of my 72 demon. There is no driveline in the car right now.

Not the final engine for this valiant but the slant I'm building with the hyper pak ran into a snag.

So here it goes, VIXEN II LOL.

Thanks for helping motorvate

View attachment 1715550092

View attachment 1715550093

View attachment 1715550094

That's cool! I love your wagon. ....and that weldin helmet. LOL

That's cool! I love your wagon. ....and that weldin helmet. LOL
Just a harbor freight helmet. It's freaking huge on me even on the smallest setting. LOL

I'm not sure if I should build a psuedo barracuda wagon or just go pure 63 wagon in all its early 60s glory.

-
Back