1965 a body sway bar

-

hdroyals

Reaction score
so i thought i had it all figured out. i just got the disk brakes switched from a 1975 dart to my 1965 cuda everything bolted up nice and going good until i got to the sway bar. i have the tabs on the lca but realized the k member is different so i cant use the sway bar out of the dart. is there a sway bar that i can use with this setup

thanks for any help

I suspect that none of the available sway bars will work on a pre 66 A body when using the 73 and later lower control arms with the original sway bar tabs in place! You may have to either change the LCA's to a pair with no tabs or remove the tabs on the 73 and later LCA's! Unfortunately, the early A bodies don't play well with later parts! Even the 67-73 sway bar is different! Geof

Are you using the complete disc set-up from the 75 - especially the LCAs with sway bar tabs? If so and as you have found out, this will not work in an early A because of the location of the sway bar tabs and sway bar itself.

Here is what I do when using the 73-76 disc swap and a sway bar in an early A (also applies to 67-72 A Bodies). I use 65-72 LCAs with sway bar tab and swap the spindles from side to side so that the calipers are in the rear (for sway bar clearance). Then the 65/66 factory sway bar or the Hellwig 55914 sway bar will fit without clearance issues. As Cosgig said, the 67-72 sway bar will not fit (it's too wide). I will be using the factory sway bar on my 65 Barracuda and the Hellwig on my 65 Dart wagon

FYI:
Pictures of the 3 factory sway bars, for the A Body line of cars.

1. 65-66
2. 67-72
3. 73-76

Attachments

• Sway Bar 65-66 A Body.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 301
  • Sway Bar 67-72 A Body.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 342
  • Sway Bar 73-76 A Body.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 286
I think his first problem is that it sounds like he already has the 73/up LCA's in place! If so, the tabs are just plain in the wrong place to even use!

i think his first problem is that it sounds like he already has the 73/up lca's in place! If so, the tabs are just plain in the wrong place to even use!

x2
Needs 65-72 sway bar tabbed LCA's. & a factory, or aftermarket, bar to work.

so what would my options be if i put the original lca on without tabs or just removed the tabs on the 1975 lca i would really like to put a sway bar on

so what would my options be if i put the original lca on without tabs or just removed the tabs on the 1975 lca i would really like to put a sway bar on

By reading post #5 and #9, you will answer your own question.

Hi, i bought the Hellwig swaybar #55914 for my 66 barracuda FormulaS. I have a factory sway bar with stock mounting tabs on the LCA.
I am not realy happy how the bushings connects the factory tabs. it looks like the angle isn't right. The original one fit perfect .

Also the bar end are realy near to the LCA ( 8mm).

Want to use the stock tab and not the delivered mount on the lower shock bolt.

What are your experience with this bar?

27164892qj.jpg

27164893ky.jpg

27164894ru.jpg

27164896ss.jpg

27164897po.jpg

-
Back