1965 Barracuda- Restomod

-
I think it would good on a duster, you should talk to 4mulasvaliant he makes the adaptor so you can put those caps on any a body. That's why I got a fuel cap for mine.

I have a busy day tomorrow I just reveiwed my parts and I have a shifter that needs installation. The steering column. Finally the brake booster.

It's taken so many months but I finally am at the end. I will have a four speed cuda. It is official, the best day so far of my restomod. The car will be drivable.

Well folks. It is official. I have a pistol grip shifter. It is beatiful. I have tears in my eyes *sniff*

The hard part my friends, is over. Now comes the interior.

Well, here we go.

I drafted these up at work the other day on MS Paint.

IMG_0207.jpg

I labled what I plan to do with the car regarding badges, striping, bumpers and what not.

IMG_0219.jpg

The brake booster installed in the engine bay. Looks nice, huh?

IMG_0220.jpg

I think she has almost made herself at home up there.

IMG_0210.jpg

Im figuring where it would fit the best.

IMG_0215.jpg

I was finally able to track down the right clutch fork!

IMG_0214.jpg

The first bracket is in.

IMG_0212.jpg

That is a year and a half in the making.

IMG_0216.jpg

Once the linkage was done.

Looks like its coming along great! I am doing a resto on a 65 Signet www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RicksMopar

It started off life as a /6 now its a 273 with dual exhaust. I used the 904, 8 3/4 and front disk brakes, master cyl. from a 73 Duster/Demon. It has Big Bolt pattern all the way around 215/70/15 tires. Mock up for me is almost done, then its pull everything out and paint.

My only trouble is I am missing alot of interior parts.

I have followed your posts and getting ideas. I am putting in a 66 barracuda dash, with a tachometer built in. I have never been successful at pulling a dash in an early A with the windshield in. Did you do yours yet? I need a new windshield anyway, but I like to mock the whole car up see how it drives and operates before I tear down for paint.

Keep up the pics.!!!

the build looks great keep up the good work !

One suggestion - if you put a really lumpy cam in your motor you may find issues with operating the vacuum booster for the brakes. I installed a manual brake dual MC (for discs) from a 73 dart on my 66. It was a bolt on, and you can reuse the rod from the pedal. Put a proportioning valve in the rear line and its done. Just a thought.

I'm upgrading the headers to a set from Clifford.

Also I am currently on the look out for a set of rallye wheels with the small bolt pattern.
Or a set of four center caps that would fit steel wheels.

I finally found some nice wheels and this whole time, I had them right under my nose.

My '66 Valiant came with a set of deep dish steelies. They are 14x8 I believe. Much deeper and taller than my stock steel wheels.

Now
IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Before
securedownload.jpg

Well, I am getting ready to finish the slave cylinder set up. I havent been to see my car in a few weeks and I am getting more and more antsy. Plus here in Nevada the weather is annoying. :munky2:

So I started creating more and more drawings in the computer at work, mostly paint schemes and how I want the console to look. I have been working really hard on the Fuel caps, the painting went south for me and produced a negative effect. So I am going to scrap the idea of paint, I'll strip the paint off the caps, re-polish the chrome and repaint the cap back to the factory look.

Now, I am starting to shift my plans over to the body aspects of the car. While I realize I haven't finished my current task, and I shouldn't be jumping from one thing to another, I am.

I have an idea in my head of where I want to take this car.

I want something different. Many people I tell about the car give me that glazed over look, or say, "When I was a teen back in '68 I drove a Barracuda, but in my day we called them back-arudas!"

When I first owned the car, a buddy and I were looking it over and agreed that the rear of the Barracuda was one of the coolest looking we had seen, but the front was just, too soft. Not fearsome.

The direction I am moving into with the body mods is into to the look of just a beast. I am trying to find a '68-'69 Charger hood. I want to graft the indentations from that hood onto my Barracuda. The stock '65 hood was too station wagon for me. It was just, there.

510_3355_topnbottom_web.jpg

I am going for this style. The new grill is going to add a degree of attitude this car and I figure a station wagon hood would just detract from it.

Well, I finally did it.

I broke down and purchased something major for the car today. I went against what I said I was not going to do. I bought a '64 Valiant grill for my '65 Cuda. I just got annoyed trying to piece the custom grill together, so I bought the next best thing. OEM.

Here is the Ebay link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9271814&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_684

I can adapt it for my project. I can't wait.

Also, I purchased pistol grip handles that will match my steering wheel. They are imitation Burl wood grips.

Now the real question is, how is it going to look?

Well, in 2 weeks I'll go install these new purchases and get the ball rolling again.

Very cool. I admire the cojones it takes to do custom mods to any car, and especially Mopars. The billet grills can really improve the look of a car IMO.

While doing research into custom Barracudas today I came across this video. I have seem it before. The video comes from Chile I believe and shows a '65 Barracuda. Only thing is, either it is heavily modified or that is one sweet factory set up on emblems and extra lights. I wonder what else is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtbeKXVWB4

I got my grill in the mail today, I didnt realize it was aluminum. No wonder I see them bent and mangled all the time.

IMG_0250.jpg

This is straight as an arrow.

Also this weekend I'm gonna go see a man about 2 bumpers for my Barracuda. I'll still collecting, once I make it back to the cuda it should just be all about fitting everything together.

sweet looking grille nice find.

if your looking for custom tail lites consider LEDS i had a company make up 2 boards for my 66 tail lites they look killer ,, ill try to post a pic

Those are sweet!

I like the look of those tail lights.

Does your cuda have anymore nice custom touches?

I'm gonna primer the grill and paint it a satin black color. Same with my head light bezels.

i have a pic of them on the car but its to big to post,,,um other custom touches,,,,,no body mods if that what ya meen

Dosent have to be that.

I noticed most of the cudas here aside from engines and transmissions are mostly unmodified stock cars. I find this car to be a challenge on keeping it tastefull yet being able to do some nice mods.

Parts Ordered

Clutch fork boot

Rear seat cover

Speedometer gear

Parts Needed Until Driver

Carpet

Door panel covers

I just purchased the twin hood scoops for Darts, Dusters and Superbees from BEA parts. I also got the chrome hood scoops bezels as well.

For the interior, a new shifter boot with bezel.

Thank you tax dollars!

Ok, so this weekend coming up will be the first time in 2 months I will be doing real work to cuda. So now I will be fitting my grill into the car, adding the hood scoops, mounting the shifter bezel and installing all those funs odds and ends like the speedo gear.

So on Sunday/Monday look for a new post complete with pictures and my walk throughs. Also, new rear bumper.

-
Back