1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Today I was so lucky! Since before I had one of the dust seals for the front hub. I also had two NOS newer ones but they have different markings.

I friend of mine was at a swap meet two weeks ago and found one thing for Dart 65. I guess by now that you know what it is! Yes, he found the other missing dust seal!!

This is how they looks. They have some kind of C/R or G/R markings as well as manufacturer id, USA and OUTSIDE makes the dust seal exactly what I'm looking for.

The next pictures is the newer reproduced dust seals.

Attachments

• 054.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 588
  • 055.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 630
Today I was so lucky! Since before I had one of the dust seals for the front hub. I also had two NOS newer ones but they have different markings.

I friend of mine was at a swap meet two weeks ago and found one thing for Dart 65. I guess by now that you know what it is! Yes, he found the other missing dust seal!!

This is how they looks. They have some kind of C/R or G/R markings as well as manufacturer id, USA and OUTSIDE makes the dust seal exactly what I'm looking for.

The next pictures is the newer reproduced dust seals.

Nice find!

After some 3 hours of polishing the roof rail mouldings I found out the hard way that a curvy moulding is way more hard to get polished without tiny tiny small scratches!! I also found out that this polishing thing is not my game. TodayI have passed 100 hours of polishing and I'm far from done with it. I need to get better wet sandpaper. I have had 240, 320, 400, 600, 800 and 1200 and this curvy little sucker is killing me!!

Leanna, I'm almost on my way with some mouldings to you!!

I will send the instrument plastic to US to get new finish. What company should I use? I'm thinking of Instrument Specialities. Anyone have any experience with them?

When doing this I also checked out the handle for the glove compartment door. It seems to have been chromed from the beginning but the front have another finish. Was it more of raw since the whole handle was casted?

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 607
  • 005.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 602
  • 001.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 600
  • 002.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 593
After some 3 hours of polishing the roof rail mouldings I found out the hard way that a curvy moulding is way more hard to get polished without tiny tiny small scratches!! I also found out that this polishing thing is not my game. TodayI have passed 100 hours of polishing and I'm far from done with it. I need to get better wet sandpaper. I have had 240, 320, 400, 600, 800 and 1200 and this curvy little sucker is killing me!!

Leanna, I'm almost on my way with some mouldings to you!!

Yes Ulf, it IS a ton of work for sure and takes a lot of practice. If it's any consolation, my wet-and-dry sandpaper collection goes up to 2500 grit. Check out a place called pivco.net for your sandpaper.

I've been kind of fighting with a 59" piece of Cuda convertible windshield trim myself ... five feet of curved stainless isn't much fun to try to control when you're tapping little dings out. Since she was sleeping on my bench at the time, I even enlisted Fluff The Shop Cat to help hold it. She hung out for a good 20 minutes at least ...

View attachment Fluff helping with the windshield trim.jpg

Question Ulf....are you using the NOS dash bezel from heater box package I shipped you? If so, it may be hard to match the rest of the trim to that section.

Another note....my dad sent his dash plastic to Mr.G's around 20+ years ago and they turned out beautiful and still look perfect to this day. BUT, the quality is far better than the factory used. It looks nicer than some NOS stuff I have seen. If you are trying to duplicate the original as much as possibly, you may have to do some more research.

Another thing, some of these bigger companies take your parts or "cores" and ship you replacement ones that are already finished. If your bezels are the exact ones you want for your car, you will want to make sure you get the same ones back. There are lots of good places out there, big and small, also search the site here, there has been lots of discussion here too about rechroming.

Question Ulf....are you using the NOS dash bezel from heater box package I shipped you? If so, it may be hard to match the rest of the trim to that section.

Ulf and I were talking about that very thing the other day. I have a NOS 65 Dart cluster and bezel. I have been to several auto paint stores to try and get a match to refinish my other dash pieces to match. I've compared a lot of chips. Some are close but still not exactly the right shade or finish.

Ulf and I were talking about that very thing the other day. I have a NOS 65 Dart cluster and bezel. I have been to several auto paint stores to try and get a match to refinish my other dash pieces to match. I've compared a lot of chips. Some are close but still not exactly the right shade or finish.

Don! I can shoot you some pictures on the NOS heater bezel I have. I tried to contact Dave at ICCA. They have approved Instrument Specialities for reference restoration on dashes. I'll see if I can get ahold of him tomorrow. Hopefullt it will show the paint and the color in good order.

I have included a set for a friend of mine. He got chrome all the way from the instrument cluster to the outer part to the right of the glove box door. Were there two versions? I need to check on that tomorrow.

Keith! Was Mr Gs good to deal with? I want the shabby factory look?:glasses7:

You mean ulf hasn't pryed them from your clutches yet?? LOL

Don! I can shoot you some pictures on the NOS heater bezel I have. I tried to contact Dave at ICCA. They have approved Instrument Specialities for reference restoration on dashes. I'll see if I can get ahold of him tomorrow. Hopefullt it will show the paint and the color in good order.

I have included a set for a friend of mine. He got chrome all the way from the instrument cluster to the outer part to the right of the glove box door. Were there two versions? I need to check on that tomorrow.

Keith! Was Mr Gs good to deal with? I want the shabby factory look?:glasses7:

I think my dad was happy, they forgot to paint the area near the speedo and tach black on part of his cluster so he had to do that but he was happy. The fisish is beautul, way nicer than factory. not sure how Mr. G's is now, I have heard some people here complain about them, others said good things. Maybe send FABO member Cosgig (Geoff) a PM, he has had plastic dashes restored before, he is currently doing a 67 Cuda dash, maybe he can point you in the right direction! Tell him Keith sent ya :glasses7:

Here are some pics Ulf, (dad hates the last one cause you can see the shift knob pattern is turned too far lol) next time I go there I will take some detailed close-up of it, maybe it is what you want, guess you have some research to do. The paint has the correct shine and finish, and has help up good, even near the ignition switch the chrome is not worn where you hand rubs it while tirning the key.

Attachments

• DSC03316.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC03317.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 531
  • DSC03318.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC03319.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 527
You mean ulf hasn't pryed them from your clutches yet?? LOL

My NOS instrument cluster is for a convertible (with the cut-out on the bezel for the top switch) or wagon (rear window up/down). Ulf has already obtained my spare NOS speedometer and spare NOS Fuel, Ammeter and Water Temp guarges.

Don!

I found these ones on a Google search. Are these like yours? I will get pictures of mine when I get back home.

Attachments

• 90002.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 523
  • 90003.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 546
  • 90001.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 559
Don!

I found these ones on a Google search. Are these like yours? I will get pictures of mine when I get back home.

Other than the cut-out for the top switch, the instrument cluster looks the same. I've had my heater/AC panel redone and the grey area is not even a close match to my NOS cluster. I've had my glove box and end panel re-chromed but not yet painted with the grey. I'll take a couple of pictures of my instrument cluster and the other panels and send them to you.

Don!

This is how my instrument cluster looks like and also how the heater bezel looks like. When I added the heater bezel on top of the instrument cluster there is only slight difference. I my opinion it looks like dirt and age.

I took a picture of the heater bezel for the Valiant/Barracuda too and it seems to have the same color on the silver/aluminium area.

When I opened the box with heater I found the nos heather adjustment bracket. Looks sweet to me. My older nos one is fine too but the newer one is better. Anyone interested in the old nos one?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 562
  • 002.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 556
  • 003.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 543
  • 004.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 564
  • 005.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 552
  • 006.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 541
  • 007.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 563
Yep, that NOS heater was quite a find. It's amazing I kept it high and dry for twenty plus years...

Yep, that NOS heater was quite a find. It's amazing I kept it high and dry for twenty plus years...

Tim! You are so right. I was a dream to find it. The find of 2012. Thanks for letting me buy it. We'll see what this years find will be!

After polishing the stainless steel mouldings forsome weeks I figure I should continue with the aluminum center sections for the Cragar S/S wheels.

During this I noticed small marks after oilishing them for quite a while. Does anyone remeber these wheels how they were from the beginning? Were they absolutely perfect or was it small marks in the centers?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 002.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 529
  • 003.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 551
Hey Leanna have you ever used autobody tool mart for sand paper? Their prices are good and you get a lot for your money.

No, but I've got a few of their catalogs around. Pivco has other specialized stuff I and Billy both use for our respective work and it's handy getting it all in one spot. The also have "Pivco Bucks" you can save up and redeem for money off your order as a kind of customer appreciation incentive.

Continued with the polishing today. It's getting better. Center section number three might be ready tomorrow.

I waslucky to win an auction on an NOS cigar lighter. I just wish I had the cluster so I could mount everything together.

Attachments

• $T2eC16dHJHYE9nzpfILMBQ-KInh)2g~~60_57.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 458
Tim! You are so right. I was a dream to find it. The find of 2012. Thanks for letting me buy it. We'll see what this years find will be!

I wondered why I was still holding on to it after all these years. Mid sixties
A bodies was something that I had never owned. When I saw the level of restoration you were doing on your car I had to contact you and see it you wanted it. It found it's home....

I wondered why I was still holding on to it after all these years. Mid sixties
A bodies was something that I had never owned. When I saw the level of restoration you were doing on your car I had to contact you and see it you wanted it. It found it's home....

Tim! It sure did! Thanks! I hope I can return it.

Today after 4 hours of polishing the third center section for the Cragar S/S wheels is done. This one took 9 hours so there is a big difference depending on if the wheel has been mounted front or rear. The rear wheels have way more "dings" then the front ones.

Well, one to go!:happy1:

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 476
Started out tonight with the last one! After half an hour I stopped. My shoulder hurted so! Can't be my age! Must be something else!! :glasses7:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 414
-
Back