1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Did some work on the valve cover cap today! I have two models but right now I can't find the other one. How does yours look? To me the nut seems to be too big or am I wrong?

The lower part was interesting. I can read "spark plug" on it!!! It reminds of the bottom seat from a spark plug!

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Don! My two one owner Darts that was made in Detroit does have bolts only! My Dartchargers that was made in LA both have two pins and one bolt! I think it was only used at the LA plant. Check on your wagon.

See the attached photo on how it looked on my car.

Ulf - I finally got a chance to check on how the steering box is fastened to the K frame. All bolts! It appears that the box has never been touched so I believe how it was fastened to be original. Until I took possession of the wagon, it had been a LA car all it's life, so it was probably made at the LA plant.

Did some work on the valve cover cap today! I have two models but right now I can't find the other one. How does yours look? To me the nut seems to be too big or am I wrong?

I've got several NOS PCVs and they look somewhat different than yours. When I get home from work I'll snap a couple of pictures.

Ulf - I finally got a chance to check on how the steering box is fastened to the K frame. All bolts! It appears that the box has never been touched so I believe how it was fastened to be original. Until I took possession of the wagon, it had been a LA car all it's life, so it was probably made at the LA plant.

Don! When is your LA car built? Mine is made in January 27th. Can it be a change in the production?

This is the PCV valve on the convertible. See the difference between thëm. Is there a production change? What do you guys have? Mine is produced in January 27 of 1965.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 813
Mine is like the one on the right and so is the one on my dads 66 Formula S Barracuda. Maybe the one on the left is an aftermarker replacement type?

Don! When is your LA car built? Mine is made in January 27th. Can it be a change in the production?

I will check the fender tag tomorrow when it's daylight. Also your PCV. All of mine look like the one on the right I've got both NOS and aftermarket.

Ulf - I checked the fender tag and production date was 7/19/65 - a real late production car. I suspect a change in the production from studs to all bolts.

Ulf - I checked the fender tag and production date was 7/19/65 - a real late production car. I suspect a change in the production from studs to all bolts.

You are right! I checked my old K-member from my 65 270 V8 wagopn and it had studs too. It was made in September of 64. I will check the 1964 partsbook tomorrow. Does anyone have a mid to late produced 1964 Dart V8 car that can check into this matter?

I did disassembled the PCV valve last night. STANADYNE was the manufacturer of the valve and the nut was made by PAL.

Is that the same on yours 65 Dartman, 66340SEDAN and all the other guys and gals?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 938
  • 001.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 908
Tonight the fun started. Added the thick piece of rubber on my small "wagon". That will keep my K-member in A1 condition. So here is a picture of how it all started. Painted K-member with an idler arm and restored bolts. Feels good! Can hardly wait until the engine is done..!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 914
  • 006.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 898
Tonight I bolted the oil pump to the engine. The restored glass beaded oil pan looks good. I found the NOS plug and the oil preasure contact too. I even remember that I had a new plug for the radiator!

The switch was date coded too to mid 64 which would be ok. My other one was!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 852
  • 005.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 876
  • 004.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 872
  • 003.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 868
  • 002.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 904
  • 001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 889
Started to smooth out all the small dents and dings. This will take som time but after 4 hours today I just I have some small places left. The rear right steel section in front of ther rear spring bracket needs to be replaced, It is too much work on in and the isn't som much space.

Anyone having one section for sale? it is the last picture!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 838
  • 005.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 883
  • 004.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 831
  • 003.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 873
  • 002.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 910

Don! Is it manual or power steering? Mine's power!

I checked the partsbook and came up with this;

On 64 and 65s the manual box is bolted with three bolts w/washer part#6025677. The same for 1965.

For cars equipped with power steering there is no description at all!!

Hwever there is reference for 1965 C-body cars. The box on those cars should be mounted with one (1) bolt w/washer and two (2) studs! So my guess is that they didn't have any left so they added the C-body set-up instead! Comments?

Don! Is it manual or power steering? Mine's power!

My wagon is also power steering

I checked the partsbook and came up with this;

On 64 and 65s the manual box is bolted with three bolts w/washer part#6025677. The same for 1965.

For cars equipped with power steering there is no description at all!!

Hwever there is reference for 1965 C-body cars. The box on those cars should be mounted with one (1) bolt w/washer and two (2) studs! So my guess is that they didn't have any left so they added the C-body set-up instead! Comments?

I looked in my parts books and couldn't come up with anything either. Maybe they just used what was on hand when the car was built. Hard to say.

My wagon is also power steering

I looked in my parts books and couldn't come up with anything either. Maybe they just used what was on hand when the car was built. Hard to say.

Don! I think you're right on that one. I can't see what else the reason would be!

Tonight I did some glass beading but the compressor gave up!!!!

So I started to paint the upper control arms instead. During this I found out that the rear bushing on the arm has a sleeve on the inside. I didn't know this until tonight!!!! After 30 years experience....! Well, I guess you never know it all!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 815
  • 003.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 813
The electric motor for the compressor was shoot!! Will get another one. It's all about the money. Why?

So I continued the work with making a new tool for the smaller freeze plugs.

Started to clean some dirt of the rear caps on the rear end. Took 3 weeks in special cleaning stuff to get the dirt start peeling off. Hmm, will continue tomorrow to get them done.

For the chassiwork I digged out the hood stops and as soon as the compressor works I will glass bead them and send themto US for making the right finish.

On Friday I will have a meet with the paintman. Hopeful it will be painted in Feb/March next year.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 808
  • 003.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 840
  • 004.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 846
Did some digging in old car magazines from 1964 and 1965. Talk about treasue hunting!

I found so much good info for my rest.

Picture 1= The nuton the inner fenders were mounted after the car was painted. It should be black phosphated.Factory plastic fuel filter and painted by-pass hose and positive battery cabel.

Picture 2= Upper control arm should be left natural.I need to get a new set. The nut on the strut rods are silver cad.

Picture 3= Upper radiator hose with white trace and stamped partnumber and "RAD END"

Picture 4= On the bottom of the rearend is crayon marked 92 and two paint spolts!

Picture 5= Ribbed heater hoses

Picture 6= Unpainted temperature switch and vacuum outlet bolt.

Picture 7= Natural colored wing nuts on the battery holder bracket.

Picture 8= Chromed screws for the valve cover. Cork gasket.

Picture 9= No tread cleaner screw on the front shock absorber.

Picture 10= Prestolite ignition coil and silver cad clamps on the fuel line.

What a treasure! But I need to get new upper control arms...!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 813
  • 004.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 796
  • 005.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 790
  • 006.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 792
  • 009.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 766
  • 010.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 849
  • 011.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 808
  • 012.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 780
  • 017.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 784
nothing wrong with using your painted A arms,,,keeeps them from rusting and the ball joint sockets not falling apart,,

-
Back