1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
My glass beading cabinet was too little so my friend at Motorslip helped me out. Boy did he put some hours into it due to that paint that was almost stuck! The result was stunning.

I stopped by my brother-in-law Mikael today and he showed me his bumper jack, the hook and the steel plate. This is how I have seen these parts on Darts sold new here in Sweden. All Darts sold in Sweden was produced in Hamtramck, Detroit has this gray paint on them.

But how was the jack, hook and plate on LA produced cars? Any help is gladly appriciated.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment mail.jpg

I searched online yesterday for replacement clips. I know there were 2 different colors available at one time. Pure white is still there but there were kinda' tan/brown colored ones that looked old. Can't find them. tmm

you may try switching a couple of your passenger side plug wires with the drivers side (unless there numbered) as they look kinda tight, vacuum advance looks about right to get it started, you will still have to put a timing light on it after you get it started to get it timed perfectly, follow your specs for timing, usually 12 degrees BTDC but smallblocks varied throughout the years and could be anywhere from 7-14 BTDC

Tonight I checked out the temperature sending unit. The one from factory bears the date code L4 = November 1964 and the closest I have come to that is M4 = December 1964. Both the pentastar unit and the KS unit was availible for 1964 and 1965.

But I guess that slantsixdan is the man to answer my wonderings! He's like a dictionary. At least all the electrical questions, he's the man.

I'm almost done with the wiring system on my high tech rig! Hope to start the engine next weekend.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

you may try switching a couple of your passenger side plug wires with the drivers side (unless there numbered) as they look kinda tight, vacuum advance looks about right to get it started, you will still have to put a timing light on it after you get it started to get it timed perfectly, follow your specs for timing, usually 12 degrees BTDC but smallblocks varied throughout the years and could be anywhere from 7-14 BTDC

Thanks for the input. I did change two of the wires and boy, what a difference!

"KS" = King-Seeley, a major supplier of temperature gauges and related equipment. I don't recall the build date of your car, so can't comment on whether an L4 or M4 coded sender would be appropriate, but I'm guessing probably yes.

"KS" = King-Seeley, a major supplier of temperature gauges and related equipment. I don't recall the build date of your car, so can't comment on whether an L4 or M4 coded sender would be appropriate, but I'm guessing probably yes.

Dan! You amaces me. Where did you round up all your knowledge? Thanks for the input. My car was assembled in January 27, 1965. Thats why I thought the factory unit from November and my NOS one from December would be ok. I have found parts from week 2 on my car which is pretty close to build date.

Dan! You amaces me. Where did you round up all your knowledge?

It was about the only good thing to come of having been assimilated by the Borg.

redbeard.gif

Hey guys, isn't it cool that we are all in this hobby together helping each other out from the other side of the world. Both you guys ROCK! tmm (40,000+ views)

Hey guys, isn't it cool that we are all in this hobby together helping each other out from the other side of the world. Both you guys ROCK! tmm (40,000+ views)

Thanks tmm for the kind words. I think Dan is like a dictionary. He amaces me all the time. But I appriciate he's comments and knowledge. It's valuable.

I was almost ready tonight with the engine and when I was going the add the oil filter and the base I found out that I just had the outer gasket. During my 32 years in the Mopar smallblock hobby I have never seen the little seal that should be mounted on the screw. The only exception is the gasket with an included seal in the middle of the gasket! The question is if someone know where to get the middle seal? Hope someone has some knowledge re thism matter.

The gasket to the carburator is another story. I have an Mopar orginal one from later date, the orginal one and an NOS one from the 60ies. The last one was right! Mopar orginal gasket must have changed over the years.

The transmission guy called today. He had disassembled the tranny and will send me the bolts so I can glass bead them. He wanted me to send him all the NOS stuff for the tranny. Found the shifting cable, the speedometer wire and the parking brake wire. But the last one was wrong. It was a NOS speedometer cable for a newer Mopar!!! SO is there soneone out there who has a parking cable for a 1965 Dart?

I also need following automatic transmission stuff:

1942438 Shell,sun gear driving
2464413 Oil pan
2464545 Bearing, rear

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

I got some parts from US today. In there was an NOS upper control arm in mint condition. BUT, there is an extra bracket welded on the inside. I guess it's for the upper rubber bumper on the frame. When did they add this one??
On my factory UCA there is no evendence of something like this.

I need to remove it in some way.......!

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

For your oil filter adapter gaskets and any transmission parts get in touch with Torqueflite Patty at:
Pat Blais Transmissions
12050 15th Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98125
206-365-1966
[email protected]

He would be the most capable source for any torqueflite transmission parts that I know of. I also got my oil filter adapter gaskets from him and the hard to find speedometer gear seals. He may have a park brake cable or know where to get one as well.

For your oil filter adapter gaskets and any transmission parts get in touch with Torqueflite Patty at:
Pat Blais Transmissions
12050 15th Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98125
206-365-1966
[email protected]

He would be the most capable source for any torqueflite transmission parts that I know of. I also got my oil filter adapter gaskets from him and the hard to find speedometer gear seals. He may have a park brake cable or know where to get one as well.

Thanks for the lead. I will get in contact with him today. I found a parking brake cable on Ebay but it's so expensive!

The engine is almost ready for start. The electrical system is done and the fuel system is ready. I just need to fill upn the engine coolant and mount the oil filter adapter.

Anyone having a clue what to use on the rear axle brass Tee? I want to get the right finish. I found a website who sells the brass Tee for the front brake lines. But they do not have the rear one.

The rear exhaust hanger on the 1965 Dart w/273 is unknown to me. This is how the 2 bbl system looks. I think it is just a strap attached to the rear frame.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

Anyone having a clue what to use on the rear axle brass Tee? I want to get the right finish. I found a website who sells the brass Tee for the front brake lines. But they do not have the rear one.

I just bought one of these the other day - looks just like the one in your picture.

Checked out the bolts that holds the oil filter bracket. There is two different ones. My car had the one with bigger head. Was these bolts both for 1965? If you check out the parts manual picture earlier there is a smaller head.

The steering coupler is ready after three weeks in cleaning bath. But, the rubber boot that covers the whole thing is orange in the kit. On my car from the beginning it was black!

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Checked out the bolts that holds the oil filter bracket. There is two different ones. My car had the one with bigger head. Was these bolts both for 1965? If you check out the parts manual picture earlier there is a smaller head.

The only bolts I've ever seen is the large head one.

The steering coupler is ready after three weeks in cleaning bath. But, the rubber boot that covers the whole thing is orange in the kit. On my car from the beginning it was black!

The black one is correct; the orange is the replacement. Getting ready to PM you about the 65 Commando Valve Covers. I'll see if I can dig up some additional info about the black covers.

Don! I have also just seen the bigger one. But according to the partsbook.......!

The oil filter base seems to have a date code. After the cast number there is a digit. It might be the month it was cast. Any input on this?

Tonight was the next milestone. I started up the engine. "I had that engine running like this song" by Johnny Cash. I just turned the key and she run sweet. The oil preassure was fine and all the water hoses, freeze plugs was tight. I will start her tomorrow just to hear the song and then start to take off all the parts for the paint procedure. Thanks you all FABO members out there who has helped me so far. I really appriciate it.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

Ran the engine for another 30 minutes. No leaks, no nothing. Continued to disassembled all the parts that's have been added. Hopefully it will be ready for paint in the middle of next week.

During the work I checked the pattern on the radiator hose. Is this the orginal model with the right pattern? Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 421
With help from my son Kevin I have a clip on Youtube while firing up the engine. Sweet!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFzyToTXjgI"]1965 273 Charger - YouTube[/ame]

Engine sounds terrific!

Your radiator hoses look correct, judging by the original '62, '64, and '65 hoses I have seen.

Your alternator is definitely not correct; it's a '60-'61 item.

Don't use Fram oil filters; they're junk.

-
Back