1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I suspect they were not painted but just plain old cast iron, rusting as they aged and exposed to the elements.

Don! I've had that thought too but I have seen cars with red faces of the drums as well as my yellow ones. But I'm not sure it came that way!!

I suspect they were not painted but just plain old cast iron, rusting as they aged and exposed to the elements.

I agree with Dartman, I'll be totally surprised if someone can provide documentation that brake drums EVER were painted at the assembly plant. That's just way too much time and trouble.

I believe you can buy a natural looking cast-iron grey paint, typically used on exhaust headers to keep the surface rust at bay. Even a flat clear paint, assuming you could find it with a temperature rating to tolerate the heat would do the job.

If you want to maintain "a" factory appearance I think those are you options. If you want to maintain "The" factory appearance, you need do nothing and just let the drums rust.

I agree with Dartman, I'll be totally surprised if someone can provide documentation that brake drums EVER were painted at the assembly plant. That's just way too much time and trouble.

I believe you can buy a natural looking cast-iron grey paint, typically used on exhaust headers to keep the surface rust at bay. Even a flat clear paint, assuming you could find it with a temperature rating to tolerate the heat would do the job.

If you want to maintain "a" factory appearance I think those are you options. If you want to maintain "The" factory appearance, you need do nothing and just let the drums rust.

You are probably right Kevin. I know that Chrysler in the late sixties painted the brake drums. Not sure why but the did it.

But I'm not sure why and when they started with the procedure?

This is the way the front drums looks like that was on this car when I bought it. Not sure if it was factory applayed paint but there is another Dartcharger with the same påaint on the drums.

Any info out there?

Attachments

• ICCA%20025.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 529
  • p69683_large+1965_Dodge_Dart_Charger_273+Passengers_Side_View.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 529
It looks nice. I'm skeptical that it was done that way at the factory.

I know exactly what you mean Dan! I have my doubts too for sure. But I appriciate your knowledge Dan.

Since Chrysler did it in the late 60ies they must have started some where. The big question is when?

My plans is not to paint the drums. I think that it is easier to keep it in the natural style and if evidence turns up I can paint them later.

But I thank all the FABO members for their comments and help re finding out a piece of history.

ulf
my drums were painted yellow as well. they were previously painted black over the years ......... but underneath all the paint to the base , was yellow paint . .
just my input ..
nice job on the dart ulf !

Attachments

• dartcharger in 40%park drv side.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 498
  • dc in park tr rear.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_3274.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 471
ulf
my drums were painted yellow as well. they were previously painted black over the years ......... but underneath all the paint to the base , was yellow paint . .
just my input ..
nice job on the dart ulf !

Interesting John! That makes it three cars with yellow drums. I will send out a question for the rest of the Dartchargers owners.

After 40+ hours of hammering, sanding, buffing and finally more buffing the left side wheel well moulding is done!! I must say that I admire the ones that do this for a living. What an effeort they need to do to get the stuff in perfect shape for the car community.

That said, it was a walk in the park to mount the screws back in the right position. When I re-assembled the car I found out that some of the screws were added in a 45 degree angle! Guess that the holes in the body and the holes in the moulding were not lined up properly.

Thanks to Don (65 dartman) I was able to find out that there was a small gasket on the inside of the stone shield to protect the moulding from the body not to get rust between. The nut was saved from the old wheel well moulding and Eric did a great job to get back the silver zinc finish it had from the assembly line.

It getting better and better.....

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 504
  • 006.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 464
  • 005.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 469
  • 004.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 462
  • 001.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 467
Awesome work Ulf!!!! I see a wheel mounted on the car.....how about a picture of the whole car instead of all these teaser pics lol :glasses7:

Awesome work Ulf!!!! I see a wheel mounted on the car.....how about a picture of the whole car instead of all these teaser pics lol :glasses7:

Keith! The space to take a picture of the whole car is limited. I might be able to take a picture from rear left so I can show how it looks.

I was going through the channel for the rear quarter window. I'm not sure what the material that goes inside is called. It was sold as a complete unit so you could not get just the filt or whatever it is called!

Any help would be awesome.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 491
I think it's called window channel felt or glass run channel. You used to be able to buy it at J.C. Whitney. They sold many different types. I didn't have much success with their online catalog so I don't know if they still sell it.

I did an online search and turned up a few different types on ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/window-channel

Dallas

Several of the places listed here will sell you that quarter window channel. Gary Goers, Restoration Specialties, etc.

Thanks Dan! You are a true source for Mopar stuff.

I have sent Restoration Specialities a email and they might have what I'm looking for. It seems that it's some kind of self clue tejp that's added in the steel channel. This tejp seems to be worn out on most cars making the windows rattle. I hate it!

We'll see what they answer me. But thanks again.

:burnout:

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 453
Dave from Restoration Specialities replayed and this is what they have for us;

Product Description

Mohair Channel Liner, G100 2-7/8" Wide; Sold By The Foot
A finely textured mohair lining material with a rubberized backing. Merely apply adhesive to the back of liner and bond over badly worn division bars and channels. Helps to reline guide bars on lock side of hardtops and convertibles.

They also had the hood to radiator seal! Yihaaa!

Attachments

• a64739513f81645caae283_l__32652_1410230588_1280_1280.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 426
My buddy Johan showed up today with the center caps.

When I first started this restoration I was thinking of making the caps in aluminium due to the fact that finding NOS ones would be impossible. Well, after searching eBay for years I was able to locate two NOS sets which I bought. One set for me and one set for Johans 4 door Dartcharger!

Johans ability to do impossible things vent as he planned. He did a fixture for holding the cap in place while he carved out the old center material. That meant that we could use the cap without rechroming it.

The result was perfect. Now I just need to get the paint done on the Dartcharger badges..........

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 426
  • 002.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 414
  • 003.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 421
Today was time to make the right side done. Everything was there until I started to put it in Place. That's when I found out that the washer holding the outer Wheel bearing was "gone". Somethings wrong cause I know that I had it some where...........

Well it's in Place and I just need that washer!!:banghead:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 381
  • 002.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 398
  • 004.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 379
When mounting the center caps I found out that the factory washers that is place from behing were a little smaller then the ones I bought!!

Anyway some grinding and I was back on track.

Now the first center cap is in place and it looks good. Next work beside the three caps left is the paint process of the Dartcharger badges. That will be tricky! :burnout:

Keith! This is the first pictures when it shows more of the car. I'll see if I can get a better ones this upcoming weekend.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 333
  • 005.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 004.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 343
  • 002.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 344
  • 003.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 325
After not being able to get the pegs on the backside of the Dartcharger badge I need to find a way to attach the badge to the center cap.

My question is what is the best way to attach a chromed badge on an casted center cap?

Any ideas or leads is gladly appriciated. :glasses7:

The masking process and the painting is a killer! :banghead:

I reallywonder howthe factort did it? They must have had somespecial masking stuff to get this painting fast. Otherwise they bought it from a supplier that did it faster then Chrysler could do it.

Hopefully I can have all 4 of them done by Sunday. This is how 3 hours of work looks like!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 267
-
Back