1965 Valiant LS Build

-
All this bickering about some other brand engine being installed in a Mopar … just wait for the next swap in a few years when someone puts a Tesla in a Mopar !
That is one of my what if builds as well. If I could find a rolling mopar and a wrecked Tesla, I’d make it happen.

I kinda laughed at this! Especially the Cuba part as this is where you see crazy **** and most of them are 4 door cars Like Gizmo’s. The thing that bothers me most is that I simply just can’t get into 4 door cars, Gizmo, please at least do this to a 2 door! Then there might be some cool factor when it’s done. Kidding - whatever floats your boat
good luck with your project…
A four door was definitely not my first choice, but it adds to the sleeper effect

If hood clearance is an issue you can use a shorter car intake, such as for an LS1. Dorman makes an aftermarket one, I think. It does mount the throttle body lower so you may have clearance issues with the upper radiator hose connection on the water pump interfering with the throttle body. If that is the case you can use a water pump from a 2010 Camaro LS engine. That engine has variable valve timing so the water pump pulley matches the belt spacing of the truck engines and the outlet for the radiator hose comes straight out the front.

I like the build. Good work.
Thanks for the info! I think I might try a trailblazer intake, that way I still get the truck intake but it's about an inch lower than the others.

I agree with you 100% and I'll add.........

Had Mopar not abandoned V8 rear wheel drive cars for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS, things might be different. But that STUPID MOVE put them light years behind Ford and Chevy and to this day, they've never caught up. Yeah. And here come all the "But the Charger and Challenger" comments. Screw those over weight, over priced pigs. While Ford was churning out millions of Fox body Mustangs on the CHEAP for guys to modify with everything under the sun available, and Chevy did the same with the Camaro, Mopar had nothing. ON TOP OF THAT, Mopar gutted Mopar Performance and SOLD the company.......THREE TIMES. There is no Mopar anymore.

The argument against the Chevy engine HERE has been made, It's old. This is page FIVE now. If you don't have anything else but "I wouldn't put a Chevy engine in a Mopar" comments, then STFU and go find something else to do. It's HIS car and he's building it HIS way with HIS money not YOURS. Go FU<K yourselves.
I totally agree. Mopar's V8 technology is archaic compared to GM and Ford, especially when looking at an engine from twenty years ago. An LS engine from 2004 still holds up today while a Mopar V8 from the same year is far behind in efficiency and reliability.

It took YEARS for Mopar to do anything to support the GIII hemi after it came out. The LS came in crates, with stand-alone wire harnesses, programmers that would work with the unlocked ECU, etc.

Mopar? Nope. ECU’s locked, no programmers available to run the factory intakes or EFI, no harness, nada. The ECU thing wasn’t just “not support”, it was actively discouraging and working against swaps. By the time Mopar started doing crates and stand alone harnesses guys had already figured out how to do all of it. Had they supported them from the beginning there would be far more GIII’s in classic Mopars.

And really there isn’t much “Mopar” about the GIII. If I do a modern engine in any of my cars it would still probably be a GIII hemi, but realistically it’s just because of the Hemi name and the fact that I don’t have to buy another bell housing for my T56, not because of anything inherent to the actual engine itself. You really can’t argue it’s some inherently better platform than the LS, it’s not. It’s not some piece of crap either, there are pros and cons to both, but the LS is a pretty solid platform and has a TON of support. And if that means you can build a reliable, high horsepower engine and drive the crap out of it then WTF is the problem?

People getting more triggered about the name on box than the capabilities (and cost) of what’s inside are just dumb as hell. Dude takes a less desirable Mopar and puts it back on the road with a low cost take out engine and his own skills and ingenuity and people here dog pile him because of the name plate on the valve covers. It’s all made somewhere else anyway.
Very true, if the modern hemis were anywhere near as attainable and swappable into a classic, I probably would've gone with one. The LS already has so much support for swapping, and it's a great platform to build off.

Thanks for the info! I think I might try a trailblazer intake, that way I still get the truck intake but it's about an inch lower than the others.
the trail blazer intake makes the most power out of the stock intakes (and the same or better than several aftermarkets-- down low).

i'm in the same boat on fighting intake height issues with a LS swap myself, although with a different make auto that cutting the hood is not an option-- looks wise and because the hoods are cast from pure virgin rocking horse **** forged in an unobtainium fire fueled by hen's teeth.

but know that i'm feeling your pain on the: 3 or 4 bolt throttle body, injector height, fuel rails, intake height, cable driven vs DBW cocktail of options.

Personnally not a transvestite kinda guy, but I understand why people put SBC in most everything years ago and now the LS style/family of engines now.
One concern for me is the major surgery to the transmission crossmember. This is a structural member of the chassis. I would seriously consider constructing another farther rearward to aid in torque control/body stiffness, act as a driveshaft hoop and yet allow transmission removal.
Those 6 liter engines with the "bigger" cam produce a lot of torque, so body flex becomes an issue. Get into the local Mopar crowd and see what the factory big block cars had.
Also I would find an experienced welder to check your welding to verify the integrity. You do not want welds breaking when you get into the loud peddle. Someone in the local car community will have good welding experience. You may need to buy the pizza and beers.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into building some more support for the cross-member. As for the welds, my coworkers are very experienced and have checked over my welds. I definitely do not want them breaking/cracking under stress.

A four door was definitely not my first choice, but it adds to the sleeper effect
i *almost* picked up a 74 4dr dart sans engine and trans a few weeks ago with the full intention of an LS swap-- have all the johnny kick *** suspension stuff and a LS/4L60 rolling around-- just to have a bomber to run around in.

car was clean too. a title issue put the kibosh on the deal, and that car is now pieced out and headed for the junkyard.

but had the deal gone thru, at least it'd be another classic mopar on the road rather than to the crusher.

@JGizmo Any updates? I got to wondering about exhaust for your car. Are you gonna make headers, or will maybe some of the LS swap manifolds on the market work? If whatever you do gets too close to the steering column, you can cut the tube off close to the firewall and gain a little room there in that cramped up space. There is a thread here somewhere about how to install a bearing in the end of the column housing for the steering shaft.

When you have to upgrade the rearend, you can put a Ford 8.8 out of an Exploder in it pretty cheap, and most of them are positracs. Then you can call the car "Big 3" - Chrysler body, GM power, Ford axle! :)
Unfortunately I haven't had very much time to work on the project the last few days. I started college last week so that's taking up much of my time. I have started ordering parts though (clutch kit etc). I couldn't find any LS swap manifolds that fit around the steering column, no luck for headers either. What I decided on is an S10 swap manifold that I'm going to flip upside down and send the pipe down the front of the engine (it'll also set me up for a turbo in the future lol). As for the rear end, one of the previous owners installed an 8 3/4 LSD which I think should hold up to a good amount of power. I was considering the Ford 8.8 though if it ever blew up.

All this bickering about some other brand engine being installed in a Mopar … just wait for the next swap in a few years when someone puts a Tesla in a Mopar !
The Tesla swap has already been done! This guy Tesla swapped a Satellite. It's a pretty insane build.

i *almost* picked up a 74 4dr dart sans engine and trans a few weeks ago with the full intention of an LS swap-- have all the johnny kick *** suspension stuff and a LS/4L60 rolling around-- just to have a bomber to run around in.

car was clean too. a title issue put the kibosh on the deal, and that car is now pieced out and headed for the junkyard.

but had the deal gone thru, at least it'd be another classic mopar on the road rather than to the crusher.
That's a shame. I agree, whether or not it's mopar powered, at least it would've been one less car destroyed.

It’s already done.

Hey all, I've got a 1965 Valiant, and I planned on putting a 5.3 LS in it. Well that didn't work out, so I bought a junkyard 6.0 LQ9 Vortec out of a Cadillac Escalade. While technically not an LS the Vortec only has minor differences, and I think it was a better choice budget-wise. Over the last few days, I've completed fabricating engine mounts and a transmission mount, and I have everything set in the car. In order to keep costs down this build is very much an amalgamation of parts left over from my coworkers' other projects, though as the car progresses I'm sure I'll upgrade a lot of the parts. Since I just made it over the first major hurdle of this project I figured I'd make a post. I understand this isn't for everyone, but for anyone who is interested I'll attach some photos of my progress from the last couple of days, and I'll try to be detailed about the setup.

View attachment 1716127339
As I mentioned, this is an LQ9 out of a 2004 Cadillac Escalade. I chose this over the LQ4 as it has flat-topped pistons giving it a higher compression ratio. I've got an LS9 camshaft in the engine with upgraded pushrods, rocker arm bearings, and valve springs. I used a center-sump oil pan from Sikky (needed an LS1 windage tray to fit the pickup tube). Using this pan I was able to clear the steering center link. As for K member clearance, I only had to beat the frame with a sledgehammer for an hour.
View attachment 1716127341
Here is one of the motor mounts I built. This was my first time welding so go easy.
View attachment 1716127338

View attachment 1716127336
As you can see I've used the factory transmission mount. I cut out the center section to give room for my new transmission and welded some reinforcements.
View attachment 1716127337
I went with a Tremec TR3550 transmission and a 621 SBC bell housing, and the mounting holes only had to move a few inches forward.
View attachment 1716127340
In order to get the 3-4 degree driveline angle I needed, cutting up the floor (and chopping a few ears off the transmission) was necessary.

I've still got plenty of learning and work ahead of me which I'll continue to post about in the future.
Very nice.
Hey all, I've got a 1965 Valiant, and I planned on putting a 5.3 LS in it. Well that didn't work out, so I bought a junkyard 6.0 LQ9 Vortec out of a Cadillac Escalade. While technically not an LS the Vortec only has minor differences, and I think it was a better choice budget-wise. Over the last few days, I've completed fabricating engine mounts and a transmission mount, and I have everything set in the car. In order to keep costs down this build is very much an amalgamation of parts left over from my coworkers' other projects, though as the car progresses I'm sure I'll upgrade a lot of the parts. Since I just made it over the first major hurdle of this project I figured I'd make a post. I understand this isn't for everyone, but for anyone who is interested I'll attach some photos of my progress from the last couple of days, and I'll try to be detailed about the setup.

As I mentioned, this is an LQ9 out of a 2004 Cadillac Escalade. I chose this over the LQ4 as it has flat-topped pistons giving it a higher compression ratio. I've got an LS9 camshaft in the engine with upgraded pushrods, rocker arm bearings, and valve springs. I used a center-sump oil pan from Sikky (needed an LS1 windage tray to fit the pickup tube). Using this pan I was able to clear the steering center link. As for K member clearance, I only had to beat the frame with a sledgehammer for an hour.
Here is one of the motor mounts I built. This was my first time welding so go easy.

As you can see I've used the factory transmission mount. I cut out the center section to give room for my new transmission and welded some reinforcements.
I went with a Tremec TR3550 transmission and a 621 SBC bell housing, and the mounting holes only had to move a few inches forward.
In order to get the 3-4 degree driveline angle I needed, cutting up the floor (and chopping a few ears off the transmission) was necessary.

I've still got plenty of learning and work ahead of me which I'll continue to post about in the future.

This will turn out nice. 6.0 is LS by the way. Very durable and shows up in numerous jeeps and off road vehicles.
True hot rodder. Plenty of LS engines show up in mustangs at the drag strip.
I retired from GM Powertrain and I can tell you most of these LS engines are very durable. Keep room for the oil pan.
You are very skilled. Keep at it.
I’ve done one car from a roller, it’s really a lot of work, but you’ll learn a ton.

Very nice.

This will turn out nice. 6.0 is LS by the way. Very durable and shows up in numerous jeeps and off road vehicles.
True hot rodder. Plenty of LS engines show up in mustangs at the drag strip.
I retired from GM Powertrain and I can tell you most of these LS engines are very durable. Keep room for the oil pan.
You are very skilled. Keep at it.
I’ve done one car from a roller, it’s really a lot of work, but you’ll learn a ton.
Hey thanks a lot! I’m sure I’ll learn plenty

The Tesla swap has already been done! This guy Tesla swapped a Satellite. It's a pretty insane build.

In this case, I find that whole idea pathetic. A dead silent engine doing a burnout?

01 boooo.jpg

The ONLY time I could see any electric conversion as having any possible appeal is if OIL or any type of liquid fuel were to be completely unavailable.
No sound? No rumble? No gears to shift? You might as well start eating bugs instead of meat, buy an inflatable doll and abandon women, work entirely from home and never interact with another human and live entirely through your VR harness....

This is what I think of electric car conversions....

01 fy1.jpg

In this case, I find that whole idea pathetic. A dead silent engine doing a burnout?

View attachment 1716130584

The ONLY time I could see any electric conversion as having any possible appeal is if OIL or any type of liquid fuel were to be completely unavailable.
No sound? No rumble? No gears to shift? You might as well start eating bugs instead of meat, buy an inflatable doll and abandon women, work entirely from home and never interact with another human and live entirely through your VR harness....

View attachment 1716130586

I'm friends with that guy on FB, to his credit he still loves ICE-powered vehicles and is in no way an "EV-thumper", it was more of an experiment than anything else. I think he owns other classic Mopars that are rip-roaring big piston engine-powered. I agree electric drivetrain takes 90% of the fun out of having a fast car but it's still interesting. I'd own an EV for my daily if I lived in a more urban area because they actually make practical sense in that scenario but I'd rather have an older car swapped to EV powertrain than an actual newer electric car with its ugly styling, useless gizmos and high cost. Something like a F/J/M-body or late B/R-body.

It still makes me make faces like these:

1 no, just no.jpg

01 wuuut.PNG

1 huh 02.png

1 whuuut.jpg

Again, if we had no other way to power our cars and IF the only way to keep a beautiful classic mobile, I'd have to agree....
Otherwise, forget it.

As said, it's your car so build it your way.
But to be perfectly honest, if I saw it at a car show I would keep walking after seeing what was in it. Sorry. :rolleyes:

This is pure blasphemy !!!! leave the LS builds to the chevy dudes. Cant believe your doing this to a Mopar.

It's your car do what cha like, LS makes more sense then when people use to swap a 350s into everything. I'm not a huge fan, to me the reason to build a mopar is to do a mopar engine, to me your car is just another Chevy now :) Still be a cool car when done.
An LS in a mopar never makes sense.

View attachment 1716130584

View attachment 1716130586
I agree. It removes 90% of what makes a hot rod a hot rod.

An LS in a mopar never makes sense.
Although I wouldn't do it but I cannot agree. It's what makes hot roddin hot roddin. Use what you want or what you have or what you can afford. There aren't any rules. I like it because it means there's one more Mopar out of the scrap heap and no matter how you slice it, that's a good thing.

-
Back