1966/67 Bucket Seat Metal Backs - Anyone restored them?

-

cudakid67

Reaction score
Bought new seat covers for my 1967 bucket seats (Pearl White) but the donor seats I'm using were from a black car. Has anyone had any luck restoring the metal seat backs? Looks like a thin vinyl might have originally been applied. Wondering if anyone has replaced the vinyl or what other options there are?

My backs do have some nicks in the vinyl so simply dying them is probably not an option.

Check with Bob Baker at ABC Moparts as he was working on the 66 to 67 B-Body seat backs which may be the same as the A-Body applications, I have no ideal. But I know that he was working on the metal backing plate and the covers for those year models.

Bought new seat covers for my 1967 bucket seats (Pearl White) but the donor seats I'm using were from a black car. Has anyone had any luck restoring the metal seat backs? Looks like a thin vinyl might have originally been applied. Wondering if anyone has replaced the vinyl or what other options there are?

My backs do have some nicks in the vinyl so simply dying them is probably not an option.

I've straightened small dents and repaired nicks and breaks in the vinyl skin before dying. Razored away any loose vinyl, built the spot with gel type super glue, allowed it to cure a while, then pounced in it, ( a piece of scotch bright pad, whatever ), to get some texture. A light sanding the tall peeks down as needed and dyed right over.
You may know that you can slip a narrow putty knife under the chrome edging and knock it off easier than tape masking. Earliest had little steel clips sliding up into the chrome pieces. The later had simpler detentions/bumps stamped in edge of the back, no clips.
Beware those 2 fingers at inside top. They are only spot welded on. To reweld that really fecks up the vinyl.

Mine were pearl white but discolored. Cleaned the scuffs and dirt and resprayed with automotive pearl white paint. Mine had a few small nicks in them but I left them alone.

Mine has gouges in the vinyl. I had planned on stripping the vinyl, and just painting them with a textured black paint, or a smooth semigloss black.

I recovered my old ones after removing the backing. It looked like lightweight trim vinyl that have been vacuum formed on and glued . I removed the vinyl and glue cleaned the panels really good and used my home built vacuum former to add new formed vinyl on to it using heat activated glue(it was expensive) next time I try it I'll just use Contact cement instead of the heat activated glue. they did come out pretty good though and still looked good 2 years after I had recovered them. They went with the 66 dart I sold, since I went to later model seats in my convertible.

-
Back