1966 dart convertible

-
I can't thank you guys enough. It's amazing when things start fitting together how everything I've seen on here start making sense. Pulled the top frame out today to mock it up and made sure it works. It does, up, down, up, down just like it's supposed to. All the parts and pieces are there. Now, is it better to disassemble the entire frame and blast and paint??? I see all the pivot points are put together with roll pins. I have to repair the header because unfortunately I found this. Am I opening a can of worms? I think it's the right way. Are the felt pieces in the bows supposed to go end to end? I have about a two inch gap there and I think they need replaced even though they seem to be in good shape. The rear bow has wood inside to staple the top to. I assume thats replaceable? Any idea what type of wood??? Or is that a store bought item.
Enough for now.
Thanks all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 270
What covers this area or what pieces go over this area? Looks like water was there and rotted it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 283
What covers this area or what pieces go over this area? Looks like water was there and rotted it out.

hmm that looks like the convertible top pad hold down. it's where you staple or glue the top pad.

this is one side of my top with some of the part still there
View attachment DSCF3811.jpg

the other side with even more left.
View attachment DSCF3812.jpg

an underside view showing the top pad going into that general area. (I have not opened it up to check how it's mounted yet.
View attachment DSCF3813.jpg

Is the convertible top hold down pad part of the top or a separate piece? That is definateley the area that is rotted

I think it's coming along pretty good. I have some odds and end for your conbertible. Let me know what you might need!

it was a seperate little piece of ?? (I have no idea what it is) it looks like leather or thick vinyl, but when I take it off the better top that I have I'll get the super duper interior guy (darn guy does really high end cars and should know what it is) to tell me.

here is a general screwed in area.(where I have found screws on different tops) but I have seen them with only 2 screws and as many as 6 little brass screws, so I thinks it was an installers choice and not the factory's choice.

View attachment !!!!!!top pad pic.jpg

I think it's coming along pretty good. I have some odds and end for your conbertible. Let me know what you might need!

Thanks 65dartcharger.
Believe it or not, I think I have found everything except the top switch trim piece that goes on the radio bezel. Don't suppose you have one of those hanging around??? I'm going to look around here and see if someone has one I can borrow. A friend of mine can cast it.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 271
Hey pyrojim where did you get your seats done at or did you do them yourself?

When I got the car, the covers and foam were with it. I had a local upholstery guy hog ring them for me. The Legendary covers were pretty close to a perfect fit.

it was a seperate little piece of ?? (I have no idea what it is) it looks like leather or thick vinyl, but when I take it off the better top that I have I'll get the super duper interior guy (darn guy does really high end cars and should know what it is) to tell me.

here is a general screwed in area.(where I have found screws on different tops) but I have seen them with only 2 screws and as many as 6 little brass screws, so I thinks it was an installers choice and not the factory's choice.

View attachment 1714618293

I see there was about three or four screws in that area. I lost the cowl on the hood, just didn't think it went with the overall concept since I'm going back to all original colors, trim etc. The metal in the cowl will work great for patching in those areas. Came off pretty easy and I really like how the lines in the hood compliment the body lines. If I could just get my body guy to start, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

Attachments

• Hood%20and%20scoop.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 281
Did we ever figure out what these are?
to tell the truth they look like shock mounting bar (umm from a chevy) they go into the bottom or top Eye of the shock and get bolted to the control arm. again it just a guess but I had an old chevy motorhome that I replaced them every couple of years.Or he could have put them in there to really confuse you and get them out of his garage:D. Oh and the round fabric piece you were looking for a place to put it is the top header seal cover

View attachment WP_20130517_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20130517_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20130517_003.jpg

goes over the top material and sandwiched between the top material and the metal in the top piece in this picture and the 2 end pieces(convertible top header corners)
View attachment !!!!misc pieces1.jpg
View attachment !!!!!!!!!header seal and cover.jpg

There was a lot of "extra" stuff in the boxes, including pipe nipples, and a band from a bow flex. I just wasn't sure if these things belonged?? Thanks Kurt

Been kinda slow, not much happening. But, I did receive this today.Pretty cool

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 245
Last but not least, a brochure from 1966, copied of course, but still very cool

Attachments

• image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 257
Finally getting some body work done. I have the convertible top frame apart and cleaned for repaint. The rustoleum black satin is PERFECT. Question is, I can't seem to find a clear coat in satin. What did anyone do to protect the paint from scratching??? Did we clear it or leave it???
Go Hawks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 221
Thanks 65dartcharger.
Believe it or not, I think I have found everything except the top switch trim piece that goes on the radio bezel. Don't suppose you have one of those hanging around??? I'm going to look around here and see if someone has one I can borrow. A friend of mine can cast it.
Thanks again.

I just made the first mold to get that done. I neded to make a first molsd since I had to glue the broken pieces and sand it down,wasn't perfect and I had to add pins (broken off in the back). Now I can sand on the cast part and not worried about breaking the glue joint since it's all one piece now.
here's a crappy phone pic of the part (forgot my camera in the house at the time. will get better ones after I finish the part sanding,make a new mold and cast some new good ones in black. since the wife's car came pre hacked all to heck! there's not a good bezel piece left on her car that hasn't been butchered.

View attachment WP_20130606_003.jpg

View attachment WP_20130606_001.jpg
work neede3d on this corner.
View attachment !!!!!!!!recast top switch.jpg

hope fully I can make some radio bezels the same way to get the configuration I Want!!! radio delete and A/C with 2 cigarette lighter openings for more power outlets in that area for the GT style car (hey I want my phone/gps to help me find my way to all the mopar swap meets ya know!:glasses7:). Another user on here wants a 270 radio delete with heater. so I'll make 2 molds for sure. since I have to hack up the non gt part for pieces to make the delete portion of the GT part.

ahh better pic's
View attachment DSCF3842.jpg
View attachment DSCF3841.jpg
View attachment DSCF3843.jpg

I'm getting there.

I just made the first mold to get that done. I neded to make a first molsd since I had to glue the broken pieces and sand it down,wasn't perfect and I had to add pins (broken off in the back). Now I can sand on the cast part and not worried about breaking the glue joint since it's all one piece now.
here's a crappy phone pic of the part (forgot my camera in the house at the time. will get better ones after I finish the part sanding,make a new mold and cast some new good ones in black. since the wife's car came pre hacked all to heck! there's not a good bezel piece left on her car that hasn't been butchered.

View attachment 1714627126

View attachment 1714627127
work neede3d on this corner.
View attachment 1714627129

hope fully I can make some radio bezels the same way to get the configuration I Want!!! radio delete and A/C with 2 cigarette lighter openings for more power outlets in that area for the GT style car (hey I want my phone/gps to help me find my way to all the mopar swap meets ya know!:glasses7:). Another user on here wants a 270 radio delete with heater. so I'll make 2 molds for sure. since I have to hack up the non gt part for pieces to make the delete portion of the GT part.

ahh better pic's
View attachment 1714627146
View attachment 1714627147
View attachment 1714627148

I'm getting there.
Hey Kurt.
How's about casting an extra bezel for the top switch and I can pay you for it to help offset your costs???

-
Back