1966 Dodge D/Dart ~ 'Mystery, Myth and Misconception'

-
The hemi valve thing was in a magazine article on hopping up the 273. I've got it somewhere around here.
The hemi valve thing was in a magazine article on hopping up the 273. I've got it somewhere around here.
Thanks, I thought I was cracking up. I remember reading it somewhere but could never find it.

Thanks, I thought I was cracking up. I remember reading it somewhere but could never find it.

When I get home from watching the ocean roll in (and out) this week I'll look for the magazine. It really was an interesting read as it was from 1966 (I believe).

Found it. February 1966 Hot Rod.
273 hop up 2_66 Hot Rod 001.jpg
273 hop up 2_66 Hot Rod 002.jpg
273 hop up 2_66 Hot Rod 003.jpg
273 hop up 2_66 Hot Rod 004.jpg
273 hop up 2_66 Hot Rod 005.jpg

How about more cool 273 stuff? I've referenced this article before, but here it is. HRM editor Eric Dahlquist took one '66 273hp/904 Dart while Dick Landy took the others. Follow along as they both tweak and mod and the final outcome...I still need to make a PDF of this one, though.
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 001.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 002.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 003.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 004.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 005.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 006.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 007.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 008.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 009.jpg
Hot Rod 1966 Pro Am 66 Dart 010.jpg

That last issue also has an article titled "Hemi White Paper" with some very thorough specs. Gotta scan that one, too, but it's getting late...

Th
That last issue also has an article titled "Hemi White Paper" with some very thorough specs. Gotta scan that one, too, but it's getting late...

Thanks Jim, been awhile since I saw that. I had copies of that but I must of misplaced them. My buddy Jim up in Yakima has the original mag so when I go up in September I’ll be sure to make another copy.

There’s good info there so no reason to reinvent the wheel. I have this 273 sitting on the engine stand so it’s a good time to review some of that info.

I've never told the story of the car to any of the owners. So nobody knows.

So here is a brief history. The original owner, we'll call him "Andy", was in the service and stationed in the DC area. He bought the car from Banning Dodge (#3 of 3 the Banning received). Andy put the headers on the car and built himself a set of "stinger" header extensions for the occasional trip down the 1/4 mile at Aquasco Speedway. He was later transferred to a base in California where the car was relegated to daily driver status. He drove it over 70,000 freeway miles with the 4.86 gears in it, and no radio. He did remove the original headers (which I still have) because of the noisy exhaust leaks. In 1975 the car was registered in Oklahoma where it resided until I saw it in a Nov 1998 Hemmings Motor News. I bought it and kept it until June of 2007.

So added cash for race prominence? I doubt it. I can tell you this. It was one of 10 cars shipped on May 13.

Couple of weeks ago I was sitting at a local gathering talking with a friend of mine, Greg Peck and he shared with me that his dad had owned Mount Vernon Dodge. Got on the subject of the D Dart and he said he remembers the car from when he was a kid. He said it was in the shop quite often, remembers the lettering and remembers seeing the car over the years still with the Mount Vernon Dodge logo on the car. If you’d like to talk with him shoot me a PM and I’ll give you his number.

Jim I would like a PDF of that article if you get around to doing it. Thanks

Found it. February 1966 Hot Rod.
273-hop-up-2_66-hot-rod-001-jpg.jpg

This one is so cool.
If you look at the Webers on the cover and the engine shown, that are mounted different!
i think the cover shot is fake, plywood mounting plate.
Mr. Koffel told me there were only 2 of those intakes made, he got 1 the other went to FL.

Couple of weeks ago I was sitting at a local gathering talking with a friend of mine, Greg Peck and he shared with me that his dad had owned Mount Vernon Dodge. Got on the subject of the D Dart and he said he remembers the car from when he was a kid. He said it was in the shop quite often, remembers the lettering and remembers seeing the car over the years still with the Mount Vernon Dodge logo on the car. If you’d like to talk with him shoot me a PM and I’ll give you his number.
Jim,
Can you send me Greg's contact info on Facebook Messenger? I'm on that all the time. Very seldom get over here on FABO. I have no cars going to Mount Vernon Dodge but one going to T&C Dodge. Isn't Mount Vernon Dodge near Town & Country Dodge in WA?
Alan Hvizdos

Ulf,
Not arguing the 00235 being the S/O number. Of the cars that I know of, 11, they run is sequence along with the VIN numbers. Phillip's car with the 00235 S/O number is way out of sequence along with the build date 4-17 vs 4-27. His S/O number should be 41771163. I think this body was used on another car.
Per the owner of the Ferris Miles SCCA/TA car, his body is not stamped. Another body being used elsewhere.
Alan

Jim,
Can you send me Greg's contact info on Facebook Messenger? I'm on that all the time. Very seldom get over here on FABO. I have no cars going to Mount Vernon Dodge but one going to T&C Dodge. Isn't Mount Vernon Dodge near Town & Country Dodge in WA?
Alan Hvizdos

I believe T&C became Mt Vernon Dodge but not real sure. Greg would know. What’s your FB page?

John

So, after a couple of years of really not following this thread I’m back. I guess Alan does FB now and we’ve been chatting back and forth. I gave Alan some numbers to call. I have a buddy here in Arizona that snowbirds that lives up in the Mt Vernon area. I was chatting with him a few weeks ago and turns out his family had owned Town andCountry which became Mt Vernon Dodge. He remembers as a kid seeing the car in the dealers shop.

My buddy up in Yakima remembers a D/Dart back in the day that raced at the various tracks in Eastern WA. Jim, who raced a 65 HiPo Dart in Junior Stock remembers several encounters with the owners of that car. Beginning to think that was the T&C/Mt Vernon car.

Im guessing that car is rat holed away in somebody’s garage.

Two more names of racers from back in the day that may of had hands on with the T&C Mt Vernon D/Dart. They are regular attendees of the Arlington Drags Reunion

Derrick Snelson
Jim Mansell

Another name also came up, Dennis Miller who raced the Olympia Beer funny car. He ran in the same crowd

I passed on their phone numbers to Alan

I should mention that another racer from back in the day was Dave Wren. Involved with Stock/Super Stock. It’s my understanding he’s not feeling well these days so I won’t bother looking him up.

-
Back