1966 Driveshaft - Which End is Front?

-

PocketAces

Reaction score
I got this driveshaft from a 1966 Dart. It's the kind with rubber inside. I didn't pay attention when I removed the yoke and now I don't remember which end is the front.

Attachments

• 20140417_090157.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 20140417_090211.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 299
Now that you mention it, they do stick out farther than what I'm used to. But the clips are in them, so they must be in far enough.

This is what they show on RockAuto.com:

MOOG/PRECISION Part # 246 Greasable Super Strength
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1329083&parttype=2392

I guess sticking out farther makes them "super strength". Makes sense I guess as the needle bearings would either be longer, or further from the centerline, reducing the load on them.

They cost $13.50, versus $9.76 for the cheapest ones.

those caps sticking out that far won't harm anything with the locks, but that sure will shake really bad!

One more thing about these u-joints. They have a single flush mount grease fitting installed in one of the caps. Call me a newbie, but I've never seen a flush mount grease fitting before. Had to do some googling to learn what that's all about. I guess I need a needle adapter, like this, to grease them. Tried replacing them with a standard zerk fitting, but the threads are smaller.

GF-FM.jpg

Never seen a correct u joint fit like that, also where did the shaft come from? I have never seen a 66 driveshaft with the torsional rubber in it. ?

One more thing about these u-joints. They have a single flush mount grease fitting installed in one of the caps. Call me a newbie, but I've never seen a flush mount grease fitting before. Had to do some googling to learn what that's all about. I guess I need a needle adapter, like this, to grease them. Tried replacing them with a standard zerk fitting, but the threads are smaller.

GF-FM.jpg

That is the wrong needle adapter. It is a hypodermic type used for greasing sealed bearings and things not meant to be serviced or greased by poking the needle into or under the seal.

The flush mounted grease fitting you mention requires a needle like this to grease.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...se+gun+needle_-1_-1&keyword=grease+gun+needle

That little fitting in your cap has a spring loaded ball that you use this to inject grease through. You should be able to buy one at any industrial or automotive store

Never seen a correct u joint fit like that, also where did the shaft come from? I have never seen a 66 driveshaft with the torsional rubber in it. ?

me neither, the car in my avatar is a 1966 Canadian valiant and it has a normal drive shaft in it with a slip yoke and I can tell you the U joints don't fit like that!

There is something wrong there. The specs call for the Snap rings to be on the outside of the joints. See the "Snap ring type" below.

Attachments

• u joint.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 253
where did the shaft come from? I have never seen a 66 driveshaft with the torsional rubber in it. ?

I got that drive shaft with a 66 Dart parts car. The engine was out of the car and the drive shaft was sitting inside the car, so no guarantee it was the original for the car. It is the right length though.

There is something wrong there. The specs call for the Snap rings to be on the outside of the joints. See the "Snap ring type" below.

The u-joints I took out also had the snap rings on the inside. I don't remember them sticking out that much though.

The caps did press in a good ways so I think I have plenty of bearing surface. And the snap rings just fit when the caps were pressed all the way in.

The u-joints I took out also had the snap rings on the inside. I don't remember them sticking out that much though.

The caps did press in a good ways so I think I have plenty of bearing surface. And the snap rings just fit when the caps were pressed all the way in.

Have you measured your yoke to make sure the other caps will fit where they are supposed to?

-
Back