1966 SCCA Series {aka; Trans American Sedan Championship}

July 10, 1966

3rd Event of the Year
Bryar Motorsports Park ~ Loudon, New Hampshire
250 Miles

Winner; Bruce Jennings
Car; 1966 Barracuda

sebring.gif

I ran into Scott Harvey at a car show in So Cal in 1994. I had my 66 Barracuda road race car there, and he told me of the original Team Starfish. I asked him if I could use the name for my current vintage race team. He agreed, and I have been running under the "Team Starfish" banner ever since. The "Star" was for the Chrysler pentastar, and for "Fish", well that is understood! Since then I also have had communications with the son of Charlie Rainville, (his name is Paul) and he actually sent me a broken Cibie light from the "14" car that he drove from the team. His dad had given it to him at a race, and now I treasure it as much as he does!

No the car is not Petty Blue, as it was originally red, and I did not want anybody to confuse this car with one of the originals. It is built to the FIA specifications as the originals were, and I have a bunch of period prep documentation from Scott and others. Robert Benson back east has built a clone of one of the original cars, and races it back there in vintage events.

Here is my website, although it has not been updated in a while. It has a lot of history on the original team.

http://www.teamstarfish.com

Here are a few pictures of my car. This was at the chicane at Portland International Raceway during the Portland Historic Races in 2011:

Attachments

• 66-Plymouth-Barracuda-num15-DV-11-PH_06.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 302
Another pix, taken at the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, sometime in the early 2000's:

Attachments

• cuda_corkscrew.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 310
One more shot, from the inside down the straightaway at Willow Springs Raceway in CA from 2014:

Attachments

• SFSF_2014_1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 301
Along with the good, comes the bad though. A fuel fitting came loose at the carburetor at a historic road race up in Seattle at Pacific Raceways in July of 2012, and what happened next was not fun. The on board fire suppression system decided not to work....:eek:ops:

Attachments

• cudafire.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 320
Year Ago,

I met Bruce Jennings. He said that the 1965 and 1966 Barracuda 273's could surprisingly
handle the tight curves better than the 1965 and 1966 Mustang GT''s.

But, on the 'straight-aways', the Ford 289's could pull away from the Mopar 273's.

Wow,
Sorry about the fire but that is some very cool history and Kudos to you for still participating.

Though I have straightliners in the stable my 65' Cuda is being built to handle and I'm learning that it's an entirely different ballgame. Fascinating info and thanks for posting.

It took me a year to get the car back on the road again after the fire. Everything in the engine compartment that can burn or melt, did. Here is a shot of its first outing after, the Maryhill Loops Hillclimb in Washington, October of 2013:

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 299
It took me a year to get the car back on the road again after the fire. Everything in the engine compartment that can burn or melt, did. Here is a shot of its first outing after, the Maryhill Loops Hillclimb in Washington, October of 2013:

:prayer:
I am so Drooling on myself right now.

I have been vintage racing this car for almost 20 years now under the "new" Team Starfish banner. Here are a few YouTube videos I put together:

The engine compartment tour: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwZ10cEZ1aA"]Team Starfish Vintage Racing Barracuda Engine Tour - YouTube[/ame]

The brakes: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd843Cv1wDI"]Team Starfish Barracuda- Brakes - YouTube[/ame]

First fire-up after the fire rebuild: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WHTo82p0gM"]Team Starfish Vintage Racing 1966 Barracuda Alive Again! - YouTube[/ame]

Hope you guys enjoy the videos!

July 10, 1966

SCCA Series ~ Northeast Region {Series Race Event #3}

Bryar 250 Trans American Sedan Championship
Bryar Motorsports Park ~ Loudon, New Hampshire

Road Course = 1.60 Miles

Group O-1

Winner......... Bruce Jennings {Towson, Maryland}
Car............... 1966 Plymouth Barracuda {#14}
Miles ........... 250
Laps............. 155
Total Time.... 3 Hours, 40 Minutes
Average....... 68.18 MPH
Won by........ 1 Minute, 24 Seconds {Group O-1}

Prize Money........ $788

Bruce Jennings {Car #14} finished 2nd overall, and was the Top Finisher in Group O-1.

[URL="http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=71788&stc=1&d=1239805175"][/URL]

Fascinating reading on your site on the history and challenge involved to obtain sanctioning.

I will revisit again later to continue reading and may have missed this but unless it's something you keep close to the vest (understandable) I am curious about the current cars motor output. Your site alluded to a 340 and your post fire vid specified 318c.i. Curious about performance and typical lap times.

It is a pretty involved question,and it "depends on who is asking!". ;-)

The FIA Group 3 specs I received show that a 318 was legal in 1966 for the Barracuda, I guess because the engine was in development at the time and Chrysler holomogated it that way. Group 2 specs used the normal production 273, but with the D-Dart performance "go fast" parts in it. To keep up with the vintage racing 348 CI "289" and "302" Mustangs and 355 CI "283" and "305" Chevys I ran a built up 340s (disguised as a 273s), in the car in the early days (mid 90's until about 2005), and broke things quite frequently (dropped valves, broken pistons, etc.) I finally blew a hole in the block big enough to see the ground from the top while in a race at Thunderhill Raceway in CA in about 2005. The piston and rod fell out of the side of the block at the #7 cylinder at 6,900 RPM at the end of the straightaway, and literally cut the block in half. Also cut the starter off the car, which was dragging on the ground. End of race, end of engine, end of racing season!

(As an aside, I towed the car to the So Cal Spring Fling Mopar car show with the "well ventilated" engine still installed, and there was no question for the judges as to the fact that the car was actually raced. Won a First Place trophy!)

I then went with the MP 4 bolt main small block (basically a modern T/A block), with thicker webs and cylinder walls, and a 318 rough bore. My new engine guy knew all the "secret sauce" tricks, had a 340 forged crank cut down to use strong Chevy big block H beam rods, and had custom forged pistons made up.

So how many cubes now? For the race tech inspectors it is 325 CI, (.040 over a 318, the max legal) but in reality it is just a bit bigger. Compression is about 11.5 to 1, and the cam is a custom ground Elgin mechanical tappet model designed specifically for the engine. Heads are heavily ported J parts, with Chevy sized valves (narrower stems for more airflow), 2.02 and 1.65. Shifting redline is 7,000 RPM, and HP is probably in the 400+ range. Guys are getting more HP out of their Ford and Chevy powerplants, but this engine has been in the car for about 8 years now without any issues, and probably has enough track miles on it to have run the 24 hours of Le Mans.

The bad news is that my engine builder died very suddenly in 2007, and some of the recipe for the motor died with him......

In road racing I have found that lap times are more related to driver skill and aggression level, (willingness to take risks), the handling of the car, and the brakes, all of which have been upgraded on my Cuda over the last 20 years. These will make up somewhat for a lack of brute power, except on tracks with long straightaways. When I started off vintage racing I was a back marker, and now the car is mid-pack with other similar small block cars. I continually get beat by L-88 Corvettes and Cobras, but they are not in the same class, so who cares.... For me, vintage road racing is about having fun with the car, and "bringing it home!"

Rather verbose, but I hope it answered your question!

It is a pretty involved question,and it "depends on who is asking!". ;-)

The FIA Group 3 specs I received show that a 318 was legal in 1966 for the Barracuda, I guess because the engine was in development at the time and Chrysler holomogated it that way. Group 2 specs used the normal production 273, but with the D-Dart performance "go fast" parts in it. To keep up with the vintage racing 348 CI "289" and "302" Mustangs and 355 CI "283" and "305" Chevys I ran a built up 340s (disguised as a 273s), in the car in the early days (mid 90's until about 2005), and broke things quite frequently (dropped valves, broken pistons, etc.) I finally blew a hole in the block big enough to see the ground from the top while in a race at Thunderhill Raceway in CA in about 2005. The piston and rod fell out of the side of the block at the #7 cylinder at 6,900 RPM at the end of the straightaway, and literally cut the block in half. Also cut the starter off the car, which was dragging on the ground. End of race, end of engine, end of racing season!

(As an aside, I towed the car to the So Cal Spring Fling Mopar car show with the "well ventilated" engine still installed, and there was no question for the judges as to the fact that the car was actually raced. Won a First Place trophy!)

I then went with the MP 4 bolt main small block (basically a modern T/A block), with thicker webs and cylinder walls, and a 318 rough bore. My new engine guy knew all the "secret sauce" tricks, had a 340 forged crank cut down to use strong Chevy big block H beam rods, and had custom forged pistons made up.

So how many cubes now? For the race tech inspectors it is 325 CI, (.040 over a 318, the max legal) but in reality it is just a bit bigger. Compression is about 11.5 to 1, and the cam is a custom ground Elgin mechanical tappet model designed specifically for the engine. Heads are heavily ported J parts, with Chevy sized valves (narrower stems for more airflow), 2.02 and 1.65. Shifting redline is 7,000 RPM, and HP is probably in the 400+ range. Guys are getting more HP out of their Ford and Chevy powerplants, but this engine has been in the car for about 8 years now without any issues, and probably has enough track miles on it to have run the 24 hours of Le Mans.

The bad news is that my engine builder died very suddenly in 2007, and some of the recipe for the motor died with him......

In road racing I have found that lap times are more related to driver skill and aggression level, (willingness to take risks), the handling of the car, and the brakes, all of which have been upgraded on my Cuda over the last 20 years. These will make up somewhat for a lack of brute power, except on tracks with long straightaways. When I started off vintage racing I was a back marker, and now the car is mid-pack with other similar small block cars. I continually get beat by L-88 Corvettes and Cobras, but they are not in the same class, so who cares.... For me, vintage road racing is about having fun with the car, and "bringing it home!"

Rather verbose, but I hope it answered your question!

It did and TY for all the very interesting reading.
Made my day and certainly kept the coals stoked on my current handling project.

-
Back