1967 Barracuda fastback fender tag deciphering

-
Any way to know how many 67 2bbl 273 4 sp manual transmission fastbacks were made with air? I think there were only 1200 1967 2bbl 273 fastbacks with manual 4 speed.
Nope, only number known is 1208 67 Barracuda's with 273 2-bbl 4-speed and that includes fastbacks, coupes, and convertibles, no other breakdown known...

In the 70s or 80s my dad wrote Chrysler Historical and they sent him a letter stating the number of 67 Dart convertibles and reiterated no other break down was available.

I have seen stock reports for some years that talked about percentages of HT, 4 Door etc but that was over the entire Chrysler corp. You could use those percentages against the total number of a particular car line and come close

I just pulled out the fender tags for two 1967 Dart GT's. Both 273 two barrel, auto. One is a convertible, the other a hardtop. No M2 code on either one and both were built at Hamtramk.

I just pulled out the fender tags for two 1967 Dart GT's. Both 273 two barrel, auto. One is a convertible, the other a hardtop. No M2 code on either one and both were built at Hamtramk.
Did either come with factory bumper guards?

Yes, the hardtop did. My bumpers wound up my son's convertible (the other car) so I can't say whether it had them or not.

1967 Dart GT 440 4sp before build 1988 01.jpg

img096.jpg

Well, I guess the M2 isn't for bumper guards then or they should have been on that car's fender tag.

My 67 Barracuda has M2 on the fender tag, no bumper guards.
I have the IBM build card, nothing on the IBM that is not accounted for on the fender tag.
Low option car.

My 67 Barracuda has M2 on the fender tag, no bumper guards.
I have the IBM build card, nothing on the IBM that is not accounted for on the fender tag.
Low option car.
What does your IBM card say about what the M2 would be?

2 x 67 dart converts

Both Hamtramic

One has bumper guards one does not neither has M2

I haven't seen any listed anywhere. GG's books don't list any and one of his examples has the M2 code!

I would agree with this, however I heard it = Hamtramck as the 7th digit in the VIN is 2 which = Hamtramck Assy-Detroit.
I'm talking 67 here.
I'll add mine to the research.
My 67 Barracuda has 2 in the VIN 7th, but nothing under the M or m
1708212701142.png

No bumperettes. I can check the broadcast sheet for other things if wanted.

ALL 67-69 Barracudas were assembled at Hamtramck.
For the last 30 years I have been hearing the M2 code was for the 2nd assembly line.

Alan

ALL 67-69 Barracudas were assembled at Hamtramck.
For the last 30 years I have been hearing the M2 code was for the 2nd assembly line.

Alan
I'm curious as to why that info would be needed on the fender tag. I wonder if any other Mopars have the M2 code that year. Anyone have a '67 B or C body with that code?

I'm curious as to why that info would be needed on the fender tag. I wonder if any other Mopars have the M2 code that year. Anyone have a '67 B or C body with that code?

My guess is the same reasoning behind putting the plant in the VIN or date shift info castings, etc. Its probably QC as much as anything.

My guess is the same reasoning behind putting the plant in the VIN or date shift info castings, etc. Its probably QC as much as anything.
Without the plant info there could possibly be two different cars with the same VIN.

There are sales codes, which seem to be unimportant on the assembly line.

Remember this car?
Scheduled Production Date was 4/25, Actual Shipped Date was 5/2.
GG decoded it as:

M2 Designated Line 2 Build After 118 SPD

My guess is 118 SPD = January 18, Scheduled Production Date.
I checked a number of cars I kept data for and it seems to check out.

What is significant about January 18?

37747_117102421670150_100001111775214_103493_407042_n.jpg

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense.

1/18 to 4/25 to 5/2

Was there a strike?

Was it 1/18/67 to 4/25/67 to 5/2/67

It's a 67 car. So it could not be 4/25/67 to 5/2/67 to 1/18/68

4/25 to 5/2 could have been a production delay due to parts availability.

Did GG say the car was shipped on 1/18?

Scheduled Production Date was 4/25/1967, Actual Shipped Date was 5/2/1967.
SPD was on the broadcast sheet and fender tag.

The Actual Shipped Date was only on the IBM build card.

Car had a Scheduled Production Date after 1/18/1967, therefore it was designated for Line 2 build.

Sounds like they were planning for a change after 1/17/1967.

Ok so your saying that somewhere there was a flag that said it would be a post 1/17/67 build so something was different about it?

One of my 67 Dart Convertibles is a Nov 1 66 build the other is Feb 8 67 build

no M2 on either

Then After 118 SPD must mean something else.
It seems reasonable that, most likely, SPD = Scheduled Production Date.

Is "After 118" the number of days, as in that Mopar days calendar?

Or maybe GG made a mistake.

:eek:

Or maybe the IBM card is wrong.

-
Back