1967 Cuda FB project

-
Got my exhaust system back today, I will take some pics of it. Looks pretty good.:burnout:
If I understand, you are running your exhaust through your wheel well. How much tire clearance will you have? Are you going to be able to go any wider than an 8" wheel? I liked the look of it in your earlier post but the tire clearance looked like it could have been an issue if you went wide.

If I understand, you are running your exhaust through your wheel well. How much tire clearance will you have? Are you going to be able to go any wider than an 8" wheel? I liked the look of it in your earlier post but the tire clearance looked like it could have been an issue if you went wide.

I am pretty sure I can still get a 12" tire in there. There's a lot of room!!!!:burnout:

I am pretty sure I can still get a 12" tire in there. There's a lot of room!!!!:burnout:

- Looking forward to seeing the completed exhaust pics. Hopefully you can include some shots of the entire inner wheel well with that exhaust in it. I'd like to see one with a big tire/wheel combo in there too, but you probably don't have them yet.

My interest has to do with concerns about tire/wheel clearances that I've had in the past. I wouldn't have thought you could run the exhaust through there without crowding the tires.

They look great!
I might end up making my headers as I'd rather spend about the same fabing them and getting them coated as I would just purchasing shorties from Hedman's. I thought I'd get away with using the Dakota exhaust manifolds but the drivers side doesn't fit.
If I do end up fabing mine, I can only hope they look a 1/4 as good as yours. Keep in mind they will be my first set fabed, like most everything I have done as it turns out.

They look great!
I might end up making my headers as I'd rather spend about the same fabing them and getting them coated as I would just purchasing shorties from Hedman's. I thought I'd get away with using the Dakota exhaust manifolds but the drivers side doesn't fit.
If I do end up fabing mine, I can only hope they look a 1/4 as good as yours. Keep in mind they will be my first set fabed, like most everything I have done as it turns out.

It's not that hard to do. Just like anything else, take your time. If you do decide to build your own, let me know, I can give ya a couple pointers that make it much easier.:cheers:

It's not that hard to do. Just like anything else, take your time. If you do decide to build your own, let me know, I can give ya a couple pointers that make it much easier.:cheers:

Thank you! That's very nice of you.
And to think your grumpy from having to come back to the snow and your still giving helpful advise.
Seriously though, I do appreciate the input as It is looking more and more as though that's the direction i'm pointed to. I can make up exhaust pipes, that's not a real problem but the hedders are another issue and sometimes you don't know what you don't know till it's to late. After figuring out what and where I went wrong I'll probably wished that I had purchased the shorties. L.O.L!!!

Thank you! That's very nice of you.
And to think your grumpy from having to come back to the snow and your still giving helpful advise.
Seriously though, I do appreciate the input as It is looking more and more as though that's the direction i'm pointed to. I can make up exhaust pipes, that's not a real problem but the hedders are another issue and sometimes you don't know what you don't know till it's to late. After figuring out what and where I went wrong I'll probably wished that I had purchased the shorties. L.O.L!!!

Make sure you get 3/8" flanges. They don't warp as easy.:cheers:

nice project better looking than what I delt with.looking forward to seeing more pics.good job my dad had a 67 when I was a kid loved driving in it back then

Finished plumbing the fuel pump module today and yesterday. (along with everything else that was going on in shop.) Got it all together.
View attachment WP_20150308_001.jpg
Crap. Looking at the pics I see I forgot to add a vent nipple. Oh well, just drill and tap.
View attachment WP_20150308_002.jpg
Got some gas tank liner in the bottom half to make sure I didn't have any pin holes in the welding. Along with that stuff and the coating that is going on the outside, it should be leak free.
View attachment WP_20150308_004.jpg
The fuel pump module will fit in the square baffle area. It has flaps that will control fuel slosh when heavy cornering or stopping. Hopefully keeping the fuel pump full of fuel.
View attachment WP_20150308_003.jpg
Got the fill tube welded to the top plate also.
View attachment WP_20150308_006.jpg

A project within a project within a project. I wish that every Joe Shmoe out there could see the details of each facet of these builds. I think a lot of non-car people would have a greater appreciation for the vehicles that get restored and modified.

The fuel pump module will fit in the square baffle area. It has flaps that will control fuel slosh when heavy cornering or stopping. Hopefully keeping the fuel pump full of fuel.

If you are running a return to the tank - and I hope you are - pipe it to feed back to the inside of the baffled area. That way even when the tank is nearly empty the fuel from the return has a short path back to the feed.

The only problem I see with that is the float may then have a higher reading because it is inside the wall.

If you are running a return to the tank - and I hope you are - pipe it to feed back to the inside of the baffled area. That way even when the tank is nearly empty the fuel from the return has a short path back to the feed.

Learned that trick long ago with high hp Vipers. :prayer::D

-
Back