1967 Cuda FB project

-
Hey your work is impressive! I had a couple questions for you. The first one is already answered with the cross bracing you installed. The second is how are you removing frame rail while on rotisserie as it is bolted to bumper bolt brackets which attach to frame rails? :???: I would like to get mine on rotisserie but I had to remove rear roll pan as it was damaged. Now I have cut out trunk drops and about 8" of lower quarter panel on each side. So I am leery of bolting to rotisserie with all this sheet metal removed. Wondered what your thoughts were. :prayer: View attachment More Cuda 014 (640x467) (640x467).jpg

View attachment More Cuda 015 (640x467).jpg

View attachment More Cuda 017 (500x342).jpg

The frame rail is welded to an inner cross brace. Then there's a space and then the outer rolled panel. I bolted the spit through the bumper mounting holes which are above the floor panel in the trunk. The frame rail is welded to the inner cross brace below the trunk floor.
Hope this helps.
And you probably have too much structure missing to put on a spit right now. My car has almost no rust so it is pretty strong for the spit. I took measurements before I did any spot weld removal and after frame rail was gone, no movement. I attribute this to the car being that solid.

You can see in your first pic the two holes under the trunk floor that look like bumper mounting holes. These holes are in the end of the frame rail. They are not bumper mounting holes. Maybe for a different a body model or previous years, I don't know. But, I do know the bumper mounts above the trunk floor through that roll pan you just put on there.

Started out the day by using my new needle scaler on the undercoating in the wheel house. Some of the U C was 1" thick!!!!! I took a couple pics of the process and my new tool.....
View attachment WP_20141116_001.jpg
Computer is doing weird stuff, not posting the pics I selected.
These 2 pics are of the rear of the frame section I had to cut off because I couldn't get at the spot welds in 1 piece.

Attachments

• WP_20141116_003.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 610
  • WP_20141116_004.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 613
So, with the frame rails moved inboard are you going to install a fuel cell? - And if you do, are you going to eliminate the spare tire well? Are you still going to use the factory side fill? It'd be kind of cool to have a custom tank built to fit where the original one was and keep the weight of that fuel down low.

So, with the frame rails moved inboard are you going to install a fuel cell? - And if you do, are you going to eliminate the spare tire well? Are you still going to use the factory side fill? It'd be kind of cool to have a custom tank built to fit where the original one was and keep the weight of that fuel down low.

Yes, the spare tire well is going away. I will probably build a tank to fit the spot. Maybe a 69 Charger tank would fit there and still give me my side fill location. I think I will eliminate the inner fender drops. They just fill up with crap anyway. Totally flat trunk floor. :cheers:

Incredible work! Maybe on that bracket you can change the angle and extend to the rocker in the original location.

Incredible work! Maybe on that bracket you can change the angle and extend to the rocker in the original location.

I thought about that but the area after the spring mount gets narrower right after this bracket. I think I will just extent the angled bracket and make it fit the floor.:coffee2:

You can see better how the one bracket overlaps the other. Changing the angle to mount back into original spot on rocker won't work. I will just make it follow the contour of the floor and back to the rocker further forward of stock location.

Attachments

• WP_20141117_001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 557
  • WP_20141117_003.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 549
Cleaned the U C of rear wheel well out with the scaler couple days ago. Cleaned the U C off the driver side front today, took about 1/2 hour with small breaks in there. Needle tool works really well. Already paid for itself with the time saved.

Attachments

• WP_20141117_011.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 536
  • WP_20141117_008.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 551
  • WP_20141117_009.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 556
  • WP_20141117_010.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 540
I then took the cutoff wheel and removed the inner wheel house. I have to do some trimming to the floor section I left attached to it before I can put it back in the car. I will then take a piece of sheet metal 5 inches wide and butt weld it in the area between the inner and the outer wheel houses. My goal, when done is to have a major tub job but would look like the factory did it.:glasses7:
View attachment WP_20141117_020.jpg
View attachment WP_20141117_019.jpg
View attachment WP_20141117_018.jpg
View attachment WP_20141117_021.jpg
Tomorrow, I get to put it all back in. lol

Did some trimming of the inner wheel house this morning. Fits in there pretty good. A little more coaxing with the cutoff wheel and it should be ready to start welding back in. Glad I cut the welds out of both pieces as it really helped lining the pieces back in the exact same spot from factory. I used 3/8" bolts to hold it together for fitment to the frame. Told the wife I was gonna bolt it back together with bolts so I didn't have to weld it......... She kinda believed me. lol
View attachment WP_20141118_001.jpg
View attachment WP_20141118_002.jpg
View attachment WP_20141118_003.jpg
View attachment WP_20141118_004.jpg
More fitment and welding tonite!!!:prayer:

I fitted some of the rear end hump and welded together. I butt welded it so I can grind it flush and look like a factory job. Still have some fitting and welding next to the frame rail.View attachment WP_20141118_005.jpg
Then I prepped the top of the wheel house for the patch. I put the slight dip in the center like the factory did.
View attachment WP_20141118_006.jpg
New patch in and spotted in. Getting late, going in for the night. Finish the welding in the morning.
View attachment WP_20141118_007.jpg

Back seat? I assume not, but it might look cool to narrow one to fit.

Tonite I fabbed a piece of sheet metal for the front of the driver side wheel house. Welded it all up, will grind it down tomorrow. Also made a couple smaller pieces for the bottom. Got one all welded in. The other mostly welded. Need someone to hold copper drift behind while I weld, got a little too much clearance in a couple small areas.:banghead:
View attachment WP_20141119_004.jpg
View attachment WP_20141119_007.jpg
Also, a pic showing the rear of the wheelhouse. I will fill that tomorrow also. Crap takes a lot of time.........:protest:
View attachment WP_20141119_006.jpg

Tossing around some ideas in my head about the front suspension too. Gotta take some measurements tomorrow.

Well, didn't get to the shop tonite. Watched a movie with the wife and kid. I guess ya gotta spend some quality time sometime. lol:happy1::D

-
Back