1967 Dart 270

-
Sometimes you just have to take a day to get everything organized... It really does help when stuff goes back together!

Attachments

• DSCN5283.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 599
Done for the day- Still sorting stuff out but I had some time to knock some dents from the grill bezels and tinker with the headlamp buckets. The finish was worn away in spots so I cleaned them up and spayed with a "cold galvanizing coating" that was closest. Some guys have had some luck with hammertone paint but its still impossible to duplicate the factory finish on these.

Polished the rings while I was at it too. One piece at a time...

Attachments

• DSCN5285.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 581
  • DSCN5288.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 581
Thought this was cool- Was checking out the gas tank and found a dealership part tag on the top under the felt! Sadly, it looks like that dealership doesn't exist at that location any longer.

Amazing Chrysler still had these one year only tanks on the shelf back in 1984.

Attachments

• DSCN5289.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 595
Some more work today- The boys worked like dogs wire wheeling and sanding the gas tank while I sandblasted small parts.

Tank was well scrubbed and coated with POR-15, after it is full dried I have a new paint I'm going to try out on it and see how it comes out. Painted the tank hook, sending unit and lock ring, blower motor ring and spare tire hold down along with the headlamp adjuster springs and some odd bolts. Finish on the bolts is "black phosphate" but slightly more durable.

Attachments

• DSCN5292a.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCN5294.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 572
  • DSCN5291.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 580
The boys wet sanded the tank while I rustled up some stuff to throw in the sandblaster. After they were done, I cleaned it down and applied the silver paint. As you can see in the picture it is pretty close the the factory galvanized appearance. Much cheaper than a new tank at any rate! As you can see in one picture where I'm holding pliers it is pretty reflective. Yes the painters tape is covering protecting original Chrysler decals, perhaps someone will discover them 40 years from now ;-)

Attachments

• DSCN5298S.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 561
  • DSCN5304.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCN5305.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 579
The finish on the tank does look pretty decent, so ............. what paint did you use? Don't hold out on us! L8r

Jim

The finish on the tank does look pretty decent, so ............. what paint did you use? Don't hold out on us! L8r

Jim

Duplicolor chrome paint, sold at fine Bennies stores for $4.99 a rattle can.

Got a few bumper brackets blasted and painted along with the jack hook, iron and base. Tough day!

Jack done today along with a few other odds and ends..

Attachments

• DSCN5307s.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 511
Had the kids yesterday so mostly did some running for parts- Picked up a six pack of spray paint at NAPA, some "sheet chrome" from a local hobby store to try out on the dash and a set of 15" classic wipers from NAPA which I promptly stole for the Duster. They are stainless and look great!! I'll have to get another pair for the Dart now.

Heading up to a fellow board members place to check out a Dart he is scrapping for some odds and ends I'm missing.

Shopping spree this weekend- picked up used parts (heater core j-hook, missing door window seal and spacer for heater core)

New- Roof rail, door, quarter window, trunk weatherstrip set from metro ($167), 24 chrome lug nuts from ebay $18, firewall sound deadner from b-quiet ($50) new reproduction headlight bezels ($175) an a heater box gasket kit, door lock gaskets, fender seals and reverse lamp gaskets from lorettafillmore on ebay.

I could not resist the grill bezels as that is the first time I have seen them for that price, most of the time they are $275! The rest of the grill is in great shape and its details like this that really make or break a project in my opinion. I knocked the dents out of my bezels but they still look meh.

I have seen a lot of cars with great paint but then you see pitted handles, mirrors or bad side markers and it really detracts from the vehicle in my opinion.

Attachments

• headlamp bezels.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 514
Just some pics of stuff that came in and some minor work. Weatherstrip kit is from an company called Tamraz who I'm not very happy with. They shipped only half the kit! They claim the rest is backordered and will be in soon. The fuel tank filler piece is twice as thick as the original but is usable and the price was right. The lugnuts were from Ebay, $18 shipped for 24!

Bumper came out ok, it will do till I can get a re-chrome job. lorettafillmore off Ebay supplied the heater core gasket set, headlamp/fender seals, door lock gaskets and reverse lamp gaskets. Very nice people to do business with.

Attachments

• DSCN5343.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 468
  • DSCN5344.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 497
  • DSCN5345.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 464
  • DSCN5348.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN5342.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 490
Had a bad day, so I did the rear seat.

Found an interesting notation on the original seat skin, can't make it out though.

Attachments

• DSCN5362.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCN5357.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 455
I could not resist the grill bezels as that is the first time I have seen them for that price, most of the time they are $275! The rest of the grill is in great shape and its details like this that really make or break a project in my opinion. I knocked the dents out of my bezels but they still look meh.

Looks good. Where did you get the bezels?

Looks good. Where did you get the bezels?

Ebay, They look really good, I'll compare them to the originals and post pictures in a bit. They are very, very close. Some minor tweaking and they will be perfect.

Attachments

• DSCN5366S.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCN5367.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 453
Stopped off at the body shop last night, have a door stripped down to bare metal and half of one of the quarter panels, progress is being made! Hoping to have one if not both the buckets redone today.

Worked on the drivers (1974 Duster bucket) seat today- Got the foam reskinned, need to blast and paint the tracks and base tomorrow if it will stop raining!

Front seats are done- Just need to let them sit in the sun and let the vinyl relax and form to the foam. Next I have to paint the tracks, after that its time to start detailing the dash.

Attachments

• DSCN5445.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 406
Stripped the dash today, make a tool to remove the switch bezels and primer'ed the dash shell. Added the hinge covers to the buckets, bagged them and stored in a safe place.

-
Back