1967 Match Race ~ 67' 'Hemi' Charger vs 67' 'GTX' 440

-
440 up to 100mph, all hemi after that then bye bye 440.
having had both a hemi b body, and a 440 b body, the hemi would do it every time. and the other guys 6 pack wouldn`t beat it either! been there done that-----bob

This handsome gentleman says,

The 1967 Dodge Charger '426 Hemi' at NASCAR.

Steve Grayson......."I eat 440's for Breakfast. And I'm very hungry right now."

th

WRONG

Virgil had a 67 GTX with a Factory HEMI

The only engine option in the GTX was a HEMI

The 440 six pack would outrun a Hemi on the street in street trim, a 4 bar car would have a hard time, the traction would be the biggest problem and as others have said the 440 would probably get the Hemi out of the hole but the Hemi would pass it on the top end.

Too bad the 440 6bbl didn't come out for another 2 1/2 yrs. Again, in 1967 the GTX came with one 440. 375hp Super commando. The HEMI, obviously, is not a 440.

Detroit Magazine 'Autorama' Performance Tests

4-Speed ~ Dana-Rear ~ w/3.54 Gears

Inland Shifter and 7.75 x 14" 'Red-Streak 'Tires
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1967 Charger R/T '426 Street Hemi' .................. 13.89 @ 102.65 MPH

1967 GTX '440 Super Commando' ...................... 14.08 @ 100.84 MPH

Too bad the 440 6bbl didn't come out for another 2 1/2 yrs. Again, in 1967 the GTX came with one 440. 375hp Super commando. The HEMI, obviously, is not a 440.

I'm was talking about the newer 440 6 pak car vs a Hemi.

The 426HEMI was optional in the 67GTX

Detroit Magazine 'Autorama' Performance Tests

4-Speed ~ Dana-Rear ~ w/3.54 Gears

Inland Shifter and 7.75 x 14" 'Red-Streak 'Tires
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1967 Charger R/T '426 Street Hemi' .................. 13.89 @ 102.65 MPH

1967 GTX '440 Super Commando' ...................... 14.08 @ 100.84 MPH

In my opinion.....These numbers ^^^^^^^are the best representation of these two cars in a box stock, well tuned condition.

Detroit Magazine

Magazine Review

For regular driving, the 1967 Plymouth GTX 440 is the way to go. Trouble free, and
with lots of 'tree-stump' pulling Torque.

The 4-Speed is unbreakable, and the Dana-Rear with 3.54 Gears is as strong as an
'Excavator' drivetrain.

The #3600 lb. GTX 'Super Commando' pulls strong right from the start, and increases
with power thru all Gears, and puts you back in the seat with every power-shift.

The GTX is a 'certified' flat 14-Second @ 100 MPH Street Muscle Car.

.19 difference,a blink of an eye...guess it depends on who's at the wheel...couldve gone either way...still favor the 440 pure and simple

I concur, I remember back in the day two guys with Roadrunners one a Hemi and one a 440 that used to go at it almost every week and once it would be the Hemi and once the 440.

1967 Plymouth GTX ~ '440 Super Commando'
Equipped with a 4-Speed Transmission, and a Dana-Rear w/3.54 Gears

October 1966

'Super Stock and Drag Illustrated'

New Car Performance Test "Part 1"

The Plymouth Dealership out on Long Island {Hempstead Chrysler-Plymouth} installed for us,
a set of 'under-chassis' Hooker Headers.

And we brought along set 8.00" x 15" Cheater-Slicks mounted on a set of new 'Keystone' Wheels.

Westhampton Drag Strip out on Long Island.

Driver - Eddie Romano

After a quick timing check, and removal of the Air Filter element. And with 'closed' Headers running
thru the stock exhaust system, Eddie took the GTX to the starting line equipped with the 8"-Wide
asphalt grabbing 'Prowler Slicks' filled with 20 lbs. of Air-Pressure.

On Eddie's 1st-Attempt, he came 'Off-the-Lights' hard, and lit the 'slicks-up' coming out off the Line,
and pulled the GTX up before he even shifted into 2nd-Gear.

In the 2nd-Attempt, Eddie came off the line 'easier'. The GTX left the line much better, but Eddie
couldn't get the shifter mechanism cleanly into 2nd-Gear. Eddie again pulled the GTX up and cruised
down the Track while shifting easily, as he cruised thru the traps at 70 MPH.

In the 3rd-Attempt, Eddie was finally able to get the GTX down the track, but still not without gear-shifting
problems. Eddie left the line at 3500 RPM's and 'rough' shifted at 4600 RPM's as the GTX pulled an acceptable
but slightly disappointing 14.32 @ 100.19 MPH.

In the 4th-Attempt, Eddie ran into problems slamming the shifter from 2nd-to-3rd Gear, as the GTX
barreled down the track, where Eddie put down a 14.47 @ 98.75 MPH despite significant shifting problems.

After the '4th-Time' down the '1/4 Mile', Eddie was begging the Plymouth Representative to pull out
the Console and rip out the 'Inland Shifter'.

1967 Plymouth GTX ~ '440 Super Commando'
Equipped with a 4-Speed Transmission, and a Dana-Rear w/3.54 Gears

'Super Stock and Drag Illustrated'

New Car Performance Test "Part 1"

The Plymouth Dealership out on Long Island {Hempstead Chrysler-Plymouth} installed for us,
a set of 'under-chassis' Hooker Headers.

And we brought along set 8.00" x 15" Cheater-Slicks mounted on a set of new 'Keystone' Wheels.

Westhampton Drag Strip out on Long Island.

Driver - Eddie Romano

After a quick timing check, and removal of the Air Filter element. And with 'closed' Headers running
thru the stock exhaust system, Eddie took the GTX to the starting line equipped with the 8"-Wide
asphalt grabbing 'Prowler Slicks' filled with 20 lbs. of Air-Pressure.

On Eddie's 1st-Attempt, he lit the 'slicks-up' coming out off the Line, and pulled up before he even shifted
into 2nd-Gear.

In the 2nd-Attempt, Eddie came off the line much better, but he couldn't get the shifter mechanism
cleanly into 2nd-Gear. Eddie again pulled up and cruised thru the traps at 70 MPH.

In the 3rd-Attempt, Eddie was finally able to get the GTX down the track, but still not without gear-shifting
problems, as the GTX pulled a 14.32 @ 100.19 MPH.

In the 4th-Attempt, Eddie ran into problems slamming the shifter from 2nd-to-3rd Gear, as the GTX
barreled the track where Eddie put down a 14.47 @ 98.75 MPH despite significant shifting problems.

After the '4th-Time' down the '1/4 Mile', Eddie was begging the Plymouth Representative to pull out
the Console and rip out the 'Inland Shifter'.
Damned old shifters...lol..I remember them,lots of races lost due to 'shifter' problems..but hey thats racing...run what you brung

This was done back in the day. I believe a pair of 68 GTX. One HEMI one 440. The 440 took the first 1/8 then the HEMI would take the 440 in the second 1/8. I'll have to find my book with the article.

Car and Driver {November 1966}

Review performed in early-September 1966.

Plymouth built the 1967 GTX '440 Super Commando' to go after the Pontiac GTO's and Oldsmobile 4-4-2's.

mClQma94T0sIFtV39nur52g.jpg

-
Back