1968 150 MPH discussion

-
Thanks for reaching out 1500Swinger. -I don't know if that one is the same. I think there are variations depending on year, at least before 1967... so I am interested but not sure of yours is a match. Do you have a photo? I know the 1968 has the non upright numbers and a push on style cable attachment in back.

Thanks for reaching out 1500Swinger. -I don't know if that one is the same. I think there are variations depending on year, at least before 1967... so I am interested but not sure of yours is a match. Do you have a photo? I know the 1968 has the non upright numbers and a push on style cable attachment in back.
I will get pics. Do you have pics of your old one?

View attachment 1715743915This is not mine but a photo I found of a speedo in a 1968 barracuda. Mine looks the same.
Here is an nos one date coded 149 of 67. Let me check my 70's to see if they are different. I think they are all push on speedo cables but let me confirm. I will have a good used one if they are the same.
20210528_110731.jpg

The 120 mph was standard from 67-69. The 150 mph was an option usually in formula s cars

All the 67-69 barracudas had rally dashes. The 150 mph speedo and vacuum gauges or tachs were optional.

The rally dash was an option on 70-71 duster, dart, demon, mostly on 340 cars I think.
There was also a clock option but I think it started in 70 model year.

67 -screw on cable
67 -numbers radial (at angle)

68 early -screw on cable
68 early -numbers radial (at angle)

68 late -clip on cable
68 late -numbers radial (at angle)

68 very late -clip on cable
68 very late -possibly numbers horizontal

69 -clip on cable
69 -numbers horizontal

70-71 -clip on cable
70-71 -numbers horizontal

if you already have a 150 mph speedo, I would suggest you get it repaired and calibrated. call www.redlinegaugeworks.com

it’s very tough to confirm a used one is functioning perfect. And no telling when that 50 year old one will go bad too. Could be days after you install it, or years after.

While you are getting yours repaired you can choose to re-face the black and white background with original silkscreen process. Or leave your as-is. Your choice.

Last edited:
67 has screw on cable -one year only speedo
67 has numbers radial (at angle)

68-69 has clip on cable
68-69 has numbers radial (at angle)

70-71 has clip on cable
70-71 has numbers horizontal

if you already have a 150 mph speedo, I would suggest you get it repaired and calibrated. call www.redlinegaugeworks.com

it’s very tough to confirm a used one is functioning perfect. And no telling when that 50 year old one will go bad too. Could be days after you install it, or years after.

While you are getting yours repaired you can choose to re-face the black and white background with original silkscreen process. Or leave your as-is. Your choice.
Actually quite easy to tell if working correctly... unplug speedo from cluster and plug in other speedo. Take for a drive and compare to GPS or other vehicle etc. My 50 year old one in my car still works like new 70 000 miles. As for nos one I trust it more as it's unmolested.

You can actually run them with a drill and a speedo cable. It won’t tell you if it is accurate, but you can check for bouncing. As stated above, hard to tell if it will last.

This is just info on the 150 speedo
1968 Barracuda, The 150 speedo can different ways. The number face is the same way as 1967. But the speedo end part of the speedo end came two different ways. Early 68 came with the screw on end and late came with the push on. As always with Chrysler I am sure some late ones also came with the crew on but I cannot prove that. I think some of The very late build 68 Barracuda built numbers on the face changed to the 69 style on the very late 68 cars built.

Last edited:
Apologies to 1500swinger and everyone else helping
me look for a 150 mph speedo for my 1968 Barracuda. I was completely wrong about the orientation of the numbers on my original. The speedometer numbers all read horizontal. The photo I posted before was one I pulled from the web and does NOT match mine. I am looking for the one with all horizontal numbers. Totally humbled and embarrased.

Apologies to 1500swinger and everyone else helping
me look for a 150 mph speedo for my 1968 Barracuda. I was completely wrong about the orientation of the numbers on my original. The speedometer numbers all read horizontal. The photo I posted before was one I pulled from the web and does NOT match mine. I am looking for the one with all horizontal numbers. Totally humbled and embarrased.
the one you posted is correct

-
Back