1968 318 Cuda, restore or clone a 383 Formula S?

-

tull2001

'68 Cuda
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a 1968 Barracuda with a 318 and an automatic on the floor. This is a numbers matching car with a factory air, a vinyl top, and is in need of restoration.

My question is: Do I keep the car stock or in the process of restoring it, convert it to a Formula S coupe with a 383 and a four speed? BTW, my dad had a new 1968 Formula S coupe with a 383 and a four speed back in 1968. I understand they only built something like 154 of these. If I do the conversion, I plan to retain all original parts which will stay with the car if I ever sell it.

My second question is: What will it take to make this an accurate clone? Besides the engine, tranny, and emblems, what else would need to be changed? Your thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

I have no problem with you cloning the car and also making it back to the origanal either.What I see you doing is this.You get a second hood that is made for a FS,and this keep the OEM hood and do both up the same color,as long as we don,t crave up the car to install the 383.If you found a second parts car you could have a whole powertrain kit ready to install when the time came to put the 383 in.Don,t toss the origanal drive train!You will have to decode the car and cross reference the Fs to see what you intend to change or up grade to your liking.Do the research on the fs,and the optional package that came with it as compared to a stocker cuda.You might want to pick the best of both and go with that,as for color and interior options,Mrmopartech

There are so many unique parts to the original big block A-bodies that it would probably be more cost effective to find a trashy one that has everything on it. K- member, engine mounts, oil pan, torque shaft, clutch fork and pivot, exhaust manifolds, pittman arm,torsion bars, 383 hood emblems,ouch, etc... the list goes on,are all rare and pricey, and that`s without a drivetrain.Your car with matching #`s,( restored nicely) with the small V8, air, and auto on the floor will have a lot of appeal to the young, old ,male,or female, collector or cruiser.

On the OE parts used on the early Cudas, he need not copy the parts exactly. But then again, thats what a clone is. He could fudge it via a swap kit.

It will never be a "correct" clone with the A/C firewall. I also don't like "clones". I do, however, like modified cars. Put the big block in with the four speed, but also do what the factory never did. Install the air conditioning. There is no difference in 68 hoods, just the inserts. 383-S inserts are pricey and not common. Add some custom touches and you'll have a very enjoyable car. This is my son's modified Dart.

67 GT conv 03.JPG

Oh yeah, it's got a 440, 18-spline four speed, Barracuda dash (150mph and tach), Charger clock on the console, Hurst shifter (68 OEM), etc.

A 68 318 Barracuda has no real extra value because it's numbers matching. Do what ever tickles your fancy.

Hey, I'm with Jim and DGC on that.
What ever you do, enjoy it. Make a plan and stick to it.
Hummm I'm day dreaming of a stroked 383 4spd with a DANA out back w/3.55's. The car says 318, Chevy boys crying in the back round, ford ponies stay in the stable. Wide eye with fear. OK, enuff. Go do what you gotta do. Have fun!

Jim Lusk said:
It will never be a "correct" clone with the A/C firewall. I also don't like "clones". I do, however, like modified cars. Put the big block in with the four speed, but also do what the factory never did. Install the air conditioning. There is no difference in 68 hoods, just the inserts. 383-S inserts are pricey and not common. Add some custom touches and you'll have a very enjoyable car. This is my son's modified Dart.
I agree. I remember when they were called the correct turn "fakes" but someone decided to use the clone thing to make it sound nicer. I also agree that you probably couldn't get a/c with a 383 in the barracuda so there goes the clone thing out the window. Fakes started because people didn't want to spend the time and money to find the real mccoy so they built their own. Build your car the way you want it but don't expect all of us to respect what you have done regardless what you do.
If I sound a little bitter it's because I have owned numberous real mccoys and grew tired of people telling me at car shows that they have a buddy that has one of those when all they had was a fake. I sold them all it got so tiring now I just buy the plain jane cars so I don't have to listen to it anymore.
Again it's your car you decide what is best for you.

Thanks for all the responses. If the car is not really worth any more being a numbers matching 318, I like the idea of a 383 with air conditioning. I could then add the 383-S badges and paint it like the one my dad had. Now if I can only find the time to work on it.

Are there any good places to look for parts, besides Ebay?

There are multiple Mopar sites with for sale ads. The best place to look depends on what you need.

I LOVE clones, especialy now that the market it totaly crazy! Im a regular guy and no way could I ever afford a BB Cuda or anything like that. I mean the Dart Sport cost me a whopping $4,500 2 years ago as it sits I did nothing but add the year correct side stripes....well and the wheels and wing but I may have a total of $5,000 in it...thats more REALISTIC....but that said and loving clones...ive never been a big fan of the Big Block A bodies....id clone it but clone it to a 340 Cuda that way not as much into it...not all the "special" parts and you retain the handeling that made the 340 A's so "special"... So yes id clone but clone to a 340(even use a 360 and just put the 340 badges on it who knows but you :) ) the BB A bodies are such a PITA to work on becuase of no engine bay clearances and all the other stuff that goes with shoehorning in a BB engine(exhaust troubles,handeling,changing plugs or starters...etc,etc...)

I'll have to put some more thought into it. It does sound like the big block route will be a lot of work...and money. At least I've got some time to think about it and so far I've only got $2500 into the car.

I found this image online and it is of a 340 Formula S in the same color as my car. Mine also has the vinyl top...not sure if I should keep that or not.

68ply23677-1.jpg

Those are old myths about big block a-bodies not being able to handle. They also aren't that hard to work on. It is easier to change the oil on a big block a-body than a small block (with right angle adapter) and easier to change spark plugs on a small block. WHICH do you do more often.

Here's a pic of my son's Barracuda (383/4sp) in action (SCCA autocross). There's not a lot of money in the suspension either.

Cuda 06.jpg

Cuda 13.jpg

Having never worked on a Mopar, are there any good resources out there? Any sites that will tell me all the parts required to switch from the 318 to a 383?

hey i want to do the same swap as my cuda came with air but no numbers matching engine how far have you gotten

-
Back