1968 barracuda conv. value? QUICK

-

dartnfish

Reaction score
so i'm going to look at a 1968 barracuda conv. 225 /6. owners says its all there and solid other than a hole in floor behind drivers seat. it also has some rust between top and trunk lid. its an automatic. what is this thing worth roughly without seeing. I know you guys love pics but i havent gotten that far yet. i want to buy it tonight if i can come to a price.
looks like 1 of 535!

More than likely that car is going to be a rusty mess. Most converts are, even here in good old Sunny California.

I'll shoot first $1,000

I'm in the northeast, maybe a little closer to your market than CA.
I almost hooked a 67 at $3250. It was all there too (including the rust in the usual places and in the floorboards) but the 318 engine was very sketchy.
Even with no pics $4-6K might be closer to reality. If it's been in OH all it's life there's bound to be a lot of hidden rot underneath, wheel wells and floorboards especially.
Lift the carpet, press hard and crawl underneath! Good luck and if it doesn't work out check out Capt Lunkers post (FS. '69 Barracuda convertible, slant 6 capt_lunker) he's in NY state

Most people know what convertable parts are worth.Beware of missing parts.

so i'm going to look at a 1968 barracuda conv. 225 /6. owners says its all there and solid other than a hole in floor behind drivers seat. it also has some rust between top and trunk lid. its an automatic. what is this thing worth roughly without seeing. I know you guys love pics but i havent gotten that far yet. i want to buy it tonight if i can come to a price.
looks like 1 of 535!

Even though it is 1 of 535 /6s made it still doesn't help its value. A V8 in the same condition will always bring more money.

Make sure all the convertible specific parts are there because they are hard to find and not cheap unless you are lucky. Make sure the rear seat is there and check the bottom section for rust at the front since the panel above it has rust issues. That seems like where most of them are bad.

Look under the car real well and under the carpet if you can. The trunk lid may have rust on the **inside lip** under the finsh molding. That is pretty common.

The 68 Barracuda convertible is my favorite A-Body and that is why I have one.

If it is in 100% there, has a good title and not a rust pile then I would guestimate around $3500 tops. Now if you get there and find a ton of NOS parts the guy has for the car then it would be worth more. If you find a bunch of missing parts and a rust bucket then it might be just good for a parts car or a major restoration so the price would be much less. Just be as an informed buyer as you can be when you go to look at it. I wish you good luck in getting this at a good price if you deceide you want it.

i really don't need this car but poping up for sale only minutes from my house, i have to go see it and make an offer. these things are known for rust out back. i just hope i can see it well enough to tell how bad it is rusted. any special order item that would make this more valuable? going to check the vin and see what i can find out. i have my cheat sheet and cash ready to go. hope its not a let down. or worse- i get excited and pay to much for it!

I would stay at 1,000-1.200. It probably is a rust bucket being in Oh. The quarters rot in front of and the rear of the wheel well. Rot along the top of the wheel openings. The trunk lid rot behind the lip. Rust and rot between the rear of top and the trunk at the leaded joints. Floor pans etc.. Don't ask me how I know. Really look close and remember it is a /6.

well......................................thanks for all of the quick responses! "it gone". gone like- gone-a go to the junk yard! it was pretty bad. didn't even feel it was worthy of pics. needs ALOT. not saying it can't be fixed but it needs alot of metal. i would describe it as an original 225 /6 sitting on a set of sbp wheels. i may make it sound worse than it might be but there was alot of bondo hiding what i couldn't see. all of the conv. framing was there just needed a top, numbers matching 225, glass was all good, bumbers real good, chrome pillar trim in real good shape. headlight and tail light surrounds banged up, tail light broke, trunk trim panel beat up. i would've gave him 500.00 but with it only being 10 minutes from my house i will keep an eye on it for a while then about mid summer when it is still sitting there i will offer him the 500.

Good day gone bad.

The rear plastic interior side panels are worth $$ repops that dont have great reviews are $800-900 a pair I believe...vert top frame is worth $$
Keep your eyes on it.

Hey, ya never know till you see it. The pics always look better. On the bright side I've seen alot worse for more. On the (unreality) TV shows they would have given him about twice that then put 10 grand of bodywork into it and sold it at auction with no reserve for $13,500

OEM hard rear glass, little interior lights in the rear panels, and other vert only parts do add value. I see 1000.00

I don't know... My Fury was WAY worse than that and I saved it.... But then again the original owner gave it to me because it was sooooo bad off... Didn't have any bondo in it - there wasn't a lot of 1/4 left to put bondo in... LOL

But $3500 - seems a bit high for a non-running car full of bondo.... Offer him $1000 mid summer if he still has it and part it out if it's too far gone to save.

if it was only a v8 i would consider saving it. being that there is alot of good parts on the car i would hate to see it go to waste. so i will keep my eye on it and see what happens. i happen to know the guy, he works at a rental station here i town and i rent equipment there fairly often. i might be able to keep in touch with him fairly easy. as far as someone driving by his house and seeing it wont happen because he lives on a no outlet road (the only house on that road). i would love to part it out to my fellow fabo members but i don't have time right now. i am coming up on my busy season. i could buy it and take it to columbus for the mopar nationals and see if anyone else would want to save it. if not part it out to you guys next winter!

-
Back