1968 Barracuda Convertible Paint Options

-

Oklacarcollecto

Life is an experiment
Reaction score
Here is my delima.
The car was originaly green. I hate green really bad.
The car is now white. I like white.
I want to change the color to red.

I have the factory paint chips. I have several paint mixing formula code master manuals from the major manufacturers of the time.

Should I go back to the factory color, a different factory color or the red 1993 Probe paint that I really like?

Paint your car whatever color you like, it is your car and your opinion is what counts!

If the car is modified I would not worry about using a factory color, if it has a stock looking exterior i would be more inclined to use a factory color.

JMHO,

Bob

If it was mine it would go green. Only because it sounds like it is all original. If it is not original go what ever you want. That is my thought on this.

My 68 vert was the olive looking green and someone painted it red. I'll trade ya.. I personally if I were going to repaint mine it would be back to green with a tail strip.. somewhat like this one.

green vert.jpg

Hey, nice looking fish!!!

Actually it´s my former -68 Convert, sold it last summer.
The paint is called olive green. Nice color especially with a white interior.
Here´s another pic with the top up

1 - Kopia.jpg

Pick a color you like and go with it. My wife's 68 was originally pale yellow with green interior. She wants candy red with black interior, so that's what it will be. Only planned changes from stock (other than color combo) are wheels, front discs, electronic ignition and perhaps a Vintage Air setup.

I have nearly all real NOS Mopar trim pieces. No reproduction parts.

I don't think thats even possible....

Well.... If you rounded up all NOS parts you can only be building a show car because the value of the parts would not justify driver use...

So ... This is what I think...

Red on a show car will be lost in a sea if other red cars... If you want your car to stand out go with the stock color.

My wife and I barley give red cars a second glance anymore.

Well.... If you rounded up all NOS parts you can only be building a show car because the value of the parts would not justify driver use...

I started buying NOS parts for it in 1997. Things were much much cheaper back then. Example .... NOS Right Passanger mirror to match drivers remote mirror for $40.00...... NOS Left Remote Mirror $85.00 ...... NOS factory clock with all connetions $80.00...... NOS tail light lens $112.50......NOS Lug Nuts for the Rally Hub Caps $60.00..... NOS Pentastar $6.00.... NOS Barracuda emblems under $20.00.....NOS Hood Ornament (fish in circle) $22.00.....

I wouldn't do it now at the current prices.....

I don't think thats even possible....

So ... This is what I think...

Red on a show car will be lost in a sea if other red cars... If you want your car to stand out go with the stock color.

My wife and I barley give red cars a second glance anymore.

I agree... I'm redoing a '68 fastback that someone painted red from the original black. I am so tired of seeing red cars I could scream. I won't go back to the black because it is just too hot out here in the summer and besides this just will be a nice driver that my kids will use on occassion not a pure resto. I'm thinking B3 blue metallic

BTW , Have you ever seen a green car that was restored. They are beautiful !
It makes you understand why so many people ordered green back then .

There was a dark green 69 notchback I'll never forget. White vynil with the dark green dash, carpet, seatbelts, beautiful car. It did look showroom clean which would make it rememberable in any color. Thing is , even the white doom light just looked more attractive against the dark green headlinner.

Okie,
Two schools; 1. If your that close to original w/ NOS parts, go that route, go green, get $ back, someone gets fine green fish, you get $. Put the $ into same non #'s matching fish and build a driver the way you want it.

Or, 2. Have a close to original factory fish with red paint (go with 'Tor Red" in my opinion) and enjoy it.

Well maybe three, GIVE me everything, and don't worry about anything. (Just kidding), wish I had those problems.
P.S. Going down to Dr. Mopars to get Lancer parts soon.
Fellow Okie Mopar LHT lugnut, Kipper

Obviously the car is your and you can do whatever you want with it. Paint it red or whatever color you want. I have changed the color on a few of my cars, however I alway pick a factory color. That is because I restore my cars to look factory original.

-
Back