1968 Barracuda fastback..formula S 383/4spd..Restore or not?

-

68blackbee

Reaction score
I picked up this 1968 Barracuda fastback with thoughts of building it into a race car but now i'm not sure I should go that route. Its originally a 383/4spd formula S. Although its been raped of more common parts, its still has the BB K frame,8-3/4 rear,clutch pedal and rear torque boxes. It has rot in floors, quarters and will need rear framerails. Amazingly,the trunk floor front rails are solid! I can do all the metal/body/mechanical work thats needed so labor isn't my issue. Besides all the missing parts, the car is missing the fender tag and build sheet. Does that make it unfeasible to do a restoration?

420014927_7754297531251128_6282827540312604616_n.jpg

420051122_7754297527917795_217156801203159336_n.jpg

420036347_7754297521251129_5909517061645843735_n.jpg

420405796_7754297524584462_4278512048636372944_n.jpg

420032373_7754297517917796_6814985956079953359_n.jpg

Save the Formula S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will probably be able to get the parts you need for the restoration all from this site and maybe a little help from B Bodies for a good date coded 383 if no one coughs one up here. A big block formula s 4 gear is the cat's meow...Good find and good luck with whatever route you take. This has been a subject of debate of course but i believe you could get a reputable replacement tag through Galen Govier.

Last edited:
The VIN will have the engine code in it. So even without the fender tag the VIN will indicate its a 383 car. No fender tag does hurt its value though.

I'd probably sell it to someone who wants to return it 100% original, and buy another car to turn into a race car. It got to be worth a few bucks to the restoration crowd.

That for sure is a very special combo. Is there any way to get ahold past owners for the fender tag? Hey if there is a Big Block K member and a VIN tag that matches is pretty much worth restoring for me IMO.

Take a look at the radiator core and trunk gutter numbers, maybe the build sheet someone else has found it and posted up around here.

I say build it as you see fit - you are already saving it by the looks of where it currently is. Have fun, build yourself a car - not someone else.

Save the Formula S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will probably be able to get the parts you need for the restoration all from this site and maybe a little help from B Bodies for a good date coded 383 if no one coughs one up here. A big block formula s 4 gear is the cat's meow...Good find and good luck with whatever route you take. This has been a subject of debate of course but i believe you could get a reputable replacement tag through Galen Govier.
Galen won't do any such thing for him... even if he had the paperwork for the car.

That said, you can't "make" a correct fender tag without a Broadcast sheet. Need the SO number and a lot of other things.

That also said, SAVE the car... find another one to cut up into a drag car.

To the OP...did you look on top of the glove box insert for a sheet?

Last edited:
I say build it as you see fit - you are already saving it by the looks of where it currently is. Have fun, build yourself a car - not someone else.
Of course it is his car, but why would you cut up probably a pretty valuable car, he probably could get a good dollar for it the way it is and buy probably better shape non muscle car (/6-318) to turn into a race car.

Of course it is his car, but why would you cut up probably a pretty valuable car, he probably could get a good dollar for it the way it is and buy probably better shape non muscle car (/6-318) to turn into a race car.
I guess that depends on the OPs vision of a race car. Means something different to everyone. Fender tag gone, no build sheet, engine and trans gone. Just build a car he enjoys.

Galen won't do any such thing for him... even if he had the paperwork for the car.

That said, you can't "make" a correct fender tag without a Broadcast sheet. Need the SO number and a lot of other things.

I have seen build sheets on top of the heater box and under the headliner.

I have seen build sheets on top of the heater box and under the headliner.
They can be anywhere... it was a "no garbage" policy in the assembly plant. It wasn't to help the restoration guy 55 years later. Under carpets, taped to the top of the glove box, stuffed in the headliner, under the carpet, bucket seat backs, etc.

That for sure is a very special combo. Is there any way to get ahold past owners for the fender tag? Hey if there is a Big Block K member and a VIN tag that matches is pretty much worth restoring for me IMO.

Take a look at the radiator core and trunk gutter numbers, maybe the build sheet someone else has found it and posted up around here.
the previous owner bought it from an estate sale. That owner had passed away and son was selling the car. I could try and contact them to see if any other details can be learned.

I can do all the metal/body/mechanical work thats needed so labor isn't my issue.
You already answered the question I always ask. If you can do all the work, then it is feasible to restore it without worrying about how much you have in it when you are done. Not having a fender tag will affect the value of the finished car, but unless you want a matching number trailer queen, you probably don't aren't worried about that. Build it however you want.
BUT PLEASE SAVE IT!

Galen Govier's website and GTS service says he will replace missing fender tags.

I can't answer for his website but if you look at his GTS service site it says they will replace rusty or missing fender tags. Maybe the site is fake?

Last edited:
Are you referring to this? That website has nothing in any of the dropdown boxes. It's all gone.

" I reproduce rusty or missing fender tags for 1962-1974 Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler products, and am considered the acknowledged authority on the decoding of VIN, fender tag, and Broadcast Sheet Information for all Mopars."

Last edited:
Yes A56 it does say rusty or missing fender tags...maybe I am misreading it. I tried to post the whole page but I am too old and non computer savy to do it.

Yes A56 it does say rusty or missing fender tags...maybe I am misreading it. I tried to post the whole page but I am too old and non computer savy to do it.
Probably reading more into it than is explained. He can reproduce them IF he has one to reproduce from or build sheet ie birth certificate.

I looked for a 68 fastack for several years, found a lot of racecars. While they make great racecars every one caused some pain from my perspective. So my vote is restore it. Doesn't need to be number matching well documented to bring a smile to your face and the face of others.

Ignore what I just said, its to far gone, scrap it, message me I need that 8 3/4.

-
Back