1968 DART REVERSE LIGHT SWITCH CONNECTOR LOCATION

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
Hi,Can someone tell me where the reverse light switch connector plugs in at? I was trying to figure out why my backup lights wouldn't work and found this plug just hanging down under the dash by the column. Jumpered it with a paperclip and the reverse lights came on. Not sure why it was disconnected but I'd like to plug it in and see if the switch works. Anyone here know where it goes and can post a photo?
1968 Dart with auto trans and colum shift.

20240321_120333.jpg

Bottom on the collum should be a switch there that drives off a unobtainable pin.

Bottom on the collum should be a switch there that drives off a unobtainable pin.
There is no switch on the base of the column on my car. I'm guessing that it was removed that that's why the plug is dangling. Can someone post a photo of what it looks like? Why is the pin unobtainable? Is it a common failure point?

Yes plastic and breaks. Most put a bolt in there just google the switch

1711050066838.png

1711050096559.png

I did Google the switch. For some reason they are all obscenely overpriced. $180 or so. There's a plastic shaft that would appear to insert into a hole in the column. Great design. Let's make it out of plastic so it will fail. I wonder why,if this is a common problem that nobody repros these pieces and sells them for a reasonable price.

Thanks Halifax,my car is also missing the switch and the metal piece that holds the switch. It's always fun tracking down these small,but expensive parts. Looks like I can do without backup lamps for a while.

T
Here’s a guy with a 1968 Barracuda parts car, says it’s fairly complete.

He might have the parts you need.

[FOR SALE] - 68 barracuda notchback
Thanks,it's not a pressing issue at the moment. I was just asking because I couldn't find a switch to plug the connector into. I can do without the backup lights while I handle more pressing issues. Thanks though

Just checking...

You do have console shift and an automatic correct?

The switch is on top of the column held in with two screws. This is '67
1711108101162.png

It needs the plastic actuator pin to work.
1711108160419.png

1711111733166.png

Black ('68) is new replacement. The extension pushes in to spread the prongs.
White ('67) is used with the retaining prongs broken off.
Functionally the same.

The white wire is hot with the key in run or accessory.

If someone has changed the transmission to a later one, or has the later rooster comb in it, then the combo neutral safety switch/reverse light switch can be used.

Last edited:
an alternate to the plastic pin would be (if you steering column is apart) weld a bung over the hole on the gear selector shaft (insuring it will not cause an interference either inside to the steering shaft or outside to the outer housing of the steering column or any bushings that need to slide past it) then make a proper sized stud out of a long shank bolt.

The switch is on top of the column held in with two screws. This is '67
View attachment 1716225133

It needs the plastic actuator pin to work.
View attachment 1716225134
[/URL]
View attachment 1716225145
Black ('68) is new replacement. The extension pushes in to spread the prongs.
White ('67) is used with the retaining prongs broken off.
Functionally the same.

The white wire is hot with the key in run or accessory.

If someone has changed the transmission to a later one, or has the later rooster comb in it, then the combo neutral safety switch/reverse light switch can be used.
[/URL]
The car is 100 per cent factory Original. Nothing has been changed. Mine is missing the entire switch and the metal strap that mounts the switch as well as the plastic pin. Thanks for the photos.

Usually see that connecter on the other side of the firewall for a 4-speed harness.
Not familiar with an automatic.

I may have the switch. PM me if you want me to search for one in my parts.

I ended up getting a switch from a 68 Dart in a junkyard. All I need now is the plastic actuator pin

-
Back