1968 Formula s 340 Here we go again

-
Nice find! Those valve covers look just the ones I recently fixed up and painted to match my car. I also don't know who made them, but I like them a lot!

20240507_155631.jpg

20240516_193015.jpg

20240525_230216.jpg

I have the original radiator out of my 68 That you can have for $100 shipped. It had a small pin hole in the top tank which I soldered but decided to go aluminum instead. Both hoses connect on the drivers side. Let me know

So I got a good and warm yesterday for the first time and the top of the radiator seem is been butchered with some two-part epoxy and nobody in my town does radiator repair and I’m not buying a $2500 Glenray for this thing so until I find somebody to fix it I guess I’m gonna have to try and fix it myself or get one of those crappy aluminum jobs for 150 bucks oh well
Just get a 22 inch aluminum one

Just get a 22 inch aluminum one
Yeah, I don’t think the 26 even came in our cars unless it was bb or hemi i think.
was just curious in case I found one.
sucks I got a good radiator. I can’t get it repaired from somebody local.
Back in New York there was radiator shops every 5 miles

image.jpg

Around where I live all the radiator shops closed. The one that re cored my original 15 years or so back guy retired shut the shop down.

Around where I live all the radiator shops closed. The one that re cored my original 15 years or so back guy retired shut the shop down.
I guess with the high cost of shop rent and online stuff from “china” beats the little mom n pops out of business.
What a shame

!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE IN LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That IS that the tag to the car, it isn't the tag that was in the listing.
This tag IS for a 68 340 4-speed Fastback

To confirm you just need to compare the SO number to the core support number.
Should be B8B 102798

Alan
Al, I didn’t even check the tag when I got the car, so I’m a knucklehead as much as the seller is.
It sure is a BH29 tag!
where are these numbers? I gotta match it on the core support?
Are they right behind the radiator?
Man i owe you one!

Al, I didn’t even check the tag when I got the car, so I’m a knucklehead as much as the seller is.
It sure is a BH29 tag!
where are these numbers? I gotta match it on the core support?
Are they right behind the radiator?
Man i owe you one!
The number is under the coolant decal about 8" from the driver side fender bolt.
There is a second one in the rear under the trunk weatherstrip near the driver side hinge.

Alan

Swapped the 8 inch indy for the Taller one much easier to get reverse now.

IMG_4725.jpeg

IMG_4988.jpeg

Bought n LD340 intake cleaned it up
Going to use my 4732s on it.
Also found a 1406 as backup.
Removed old intake. Started detailing under the hood a bit

IMG_4761.png

IMG_4765.jpeg

IMG_4685.jpeg

IMG_4965.jpeg

IMG_4978.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got the passenger exhaust pipe off after soaking and heating the studs it broke anyway, all cleaned up ready for reinstall. Still have to finish pulling the manifold to fix the stud stuck on that next.
Also radiator from Ron arrived looks good its a 3 row 031 mine was a 2 Row. Have to wait and test it when she gets running thx Ron!
Intake gaskets i ordered were wrong brand from ebay seller. ordered from Autozone locally instead.

IMG_5023.jpeg

IMG_5020.jpeg

IMG_5021.jpeg

IMG_5018.jpeg

IMG_5024.jpeg

IMG_5027.jpeg

IMG_5082.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the intake on and the radiator in.
My carb is a acting up tho.
Dumping gas big time. Giving up on it.
Gotta find a new carb.
Found a set of A body tail pipes for $25 knocked the tips off ready to go.
Ordered full set brake lines “ inline tube” and new centric drums. All the brakes and wheels cly look usable.
I found a set of exhaust adapters to put the tips on because they’re 1-7/8 to 2-1/2 tailpipes no local exhaust shops here that are easy to deal, so clamping for now, get them welded later. Yes 2 broken left hand studs i have to order.
Still Looking for a carb.
Picked up an Air cleaner and Fan.
IMG_5116.jpeg

IMG_5117.jpeg

IMG_5115.jpeg

IMG_5210.jpeg

IMG_5251.jpeg

IMG_5259.jpeg

IMG_5260.jpeg

IMG_5299.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Moving right along!:thumbsup: Definitely look for or make a shroud. Heater core bypassed for any reason?
I would be tempted to move the fuel line away from exhaust manifold. They usually come up by oil dipstick.
Fyi , I'm not nitpicking

Moving right along!:thumbsup: Definitely look for or make a shroud. Heater core bypassed for any reason?
I would be tempted to move the fuel line away from exhaust manifold. They usually come up by oil dipstick.
Fyi , I'm not nitpicking
Yeah, probably does go behind the alternator correct, I didn’t notice how close it looks now that you brought it to my attention. It’s further away than it looks, but I’ll move it. I got rid of the exhaust leaks by the manifold fixed all the broken bolts. I decided to keep the mufflers for now they’re pretty shot and have a couple holes in them, so I have 18 inch replacements
but for now they work for me.
I’m in Arizona everybody’s heater Cores are disconnected, so until I drop the heater box, I will not know whats wrong with it.
I may test it and put it back on, but I will never use it here. Or maybe buy a new one after i clean the box up.
Man, every time I touch anything on this car it drops tons of rust.
My garage garbage can is very heavy ha ha ha thank God I’m not restoring it cause it would need a lot of sheet. metal.
A lot of you guys are gonna hate this but I patched each floor with sheet metal and rivet patches. I don’t have a welder and I’m not gonna give it to somebody to do just to make a driver, but here are some pictures of the patches, I’m gonna por15 over them And throw Carpet down, Not trying to hide anything just patch it for now so there’s no holes. The drivers rocker is gone, but they do make it repop.

IMG_5233.jpeg

IMG_5230.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg

IMG_5232.jpeg

Last edited:
I forgot to chk the climate you're in and not needing the hc. If u decide to redo the heaterbox, and hc is toast, get it redone. The newer ones are a crap shoot if they fit or not. Good job on floors, like Rustys thread "get it runnin n drivin" :thumbsup:
Yeah, probably does go behind the alternator correct, I didn’t notice how close it looks now that you brought it to my attention. It’s further away than it looks, but I’ll move it. I got rid of the exhaust leaks by the manifold fixed all the broken bolts. I decided to keep the mufflers for now they’re pretty shot and have a couple holes in them, so I have 18 inch replacements
but for now they work for me.
I’m in Arizona everybody’s heater Cores are disconnected, so until I drop the heater box, I will not know whats wrong with it.
I may test it and put it back on, but I will never use it here. Or maybe buy a new one after i clean the box up.
Man, every time I touch anything on this car it drops tons of rust.
My garage garbage can is very heavy ha ha ha thank God I’m not restoring it cause it would need a lot of sheet. metal.
A lot of you guys are gonna hate this but I patched each floor with sheet metal and rivet patches. I don’t have a welder and I’m not gonna give it to somebody to do just to make a driver, but here are some pictures of the patches, I’m gonna por15 over them And throw Carpet down, Not trying to hide anything just patch it for now so there’s no holes. The drivers rocker is gone, but they do make it repop.

View attachment 1716276685

View attachment 1716276686

View attachment 1716276688

View attachment 1716276691

-
Back