1969 340 barracuda non formula S?

-
my car is a 340 4 spd convertible non formula S car (to the best of my knowledge). Its a manual steering. brakes. console shift. I bought it from the original owner. I don't have the build sheet or fender tag.

This car has manual drum brakes and no power steering, wish it was a 4 speed. Of my 6 cars this one is the only factory automatic!

Many came though with the Column-Shift Automatic, and 'Open-Rear'.

Column-shift... 3.23 Sure Grip[/QUOTE]

A} That car was shipped to Wisconsin.
B} Winter Territory.
C} Sure-Grip was usually installed on the Northern shipped cars.
D} That car has 'too' many options to be a 'Dealer Stocking Car'.
E} I bet, it was an ordered car.

I did not know this information,,,,,,,,before.

I like the thought of a $141.00 340 option. That's like $900 bucks today. How many here would do it?

I think you made a great swap!
The pics in post#1 and #17 look like R4 red. The black stripe and black top make it look more orange.
R4 is a unique color - my original '69 340 Swinger was R4 "Charger" red and the white bumblebee stripe made it look "redder" than the same color on your 'cuda.
My Dart was also a column shift with an non-suregrip 3.23 rear, but it ran 14.28 at 98+ mph without headers and trophied regularly in G/Pure Stock at OCIR here in SoCal back in the very early '70s. I loved to pick on big-block cars on the street.
Again, great swap!

I'm really pretty happy with the swap so far. 14's with 3.23 gears is haulin! I'd think the way this thing turns on it would be running pretty close to that. (If I could get it to hook up!)

Very cool!!!!

Love to have it and think you did very good in the trade. Never owned a 340 but have lots of stories of ones I have worked on and when they are right they give BB's lots of trouble.

Great catch, the vinyl top is sweet.

Glad to see another 69 340 that's not a formula S.

Like yours, mine's an oddball as well, optioned out with buckets, console, decor interior, front discs etc. Even has a rear defrost, but radio and stripe delete. 340-S emblems on the front fenders.

Hope to see more pics. Thanks

Great catch, the vinyl top is sweet.

Glad to see another 69 340 that's not a formula S.

Like yours, mine's an oddball as well, optioned out with buckets, console, decor interior, front discs etc. Even has a rear defrost, but radio and stripe delete. 340-S emblems on the front fenders.

Hope to see more pics. Thanks

Rear defrost? So it is a notch-back I'm assuming, also it has 340-S emblems but is not an S? Very interesting! I've not had the pleasure of being 1 on 1 with a second Gen Barracuda until now and they are really unique!
It reminds me of my 70 Duster in a lot of ways and I really learned to respect the roomy A Bodies with that car. I'm driving the BCuda today because it's nice out, cold but sunny. That's the problem acquiring a car in the fall, not enough "enjoy it" weather!

Also, your buildsheet is one the best in overall condition that I have seen. Usually they are hanging on by a thread.

I definitely think you got the better end of that deal. I would love to see a picture of the fender tag as well.

It was a good trade as both were worth about the same money, the Barracuda has a much broader following where as the wagon was the only one built. When you can say I have a one of one car it really means something to the people who know the vehicles, the problem with the wagon is you had to be at a Mopar only event for anyone to appreciate what it was. The Barracuda will do well at any event it goes to.
It really was great to be able to tell people "It is the only one...period" but the fun factor is 10 fold with the little Barracuda!

The difference between a 1969 340 'Formula S' and 340 non-Formula S.

* 'Formula S' Suspension Package
* Heavy-Duty Torsion Bars
* Heavy-Duty Rear Leaf Springs
* Front Stabilizer
* Firm-Ride Shocks
* 340 Engine

* 'S' Body Trim Badging
* Console
* Wheel Covers
* Red-Streak Wide Oval Tires {E-70 x 14"}

Anything else ?

I like the top also, really big fan of vinyl top .Wonder how many factory tops are out there , on the second gen Barracudas. Really nice car , and also like the column shift .I am not a fan of a console for sure. I bet the numbers would be low on the tops.

Hi "mopowar76", yep, rear defrost but it's a Fastback.

As far as I have learned, 69 differed from 67-68 in that the 340 could be ordered without the "Formula-S" option, but still have ALL the "S" characteristics other than the rear badge.

I have the fender tag and a mint broadcast sheet (only 2 small staples holes in it). It has the 340 (#'s matching to VIN), heavy duty suspension (893,892 torsion bars), front discs, front sway bar, hvy duty shocks and E70-14 wheels (T73 code). 41K original miles/2nd owner.

Other options, B5 interior/exterior, console, buckets, décor group, deluxe wheel covers, sport/rallye dash w/150mph speedo (no tach or vac guage), full ring/delta steering wheel, rear defrost, bumper guards, 3speed wiper, passenger mirror, rocker trim, wheel mouldings, PS, PB, etc.

Weird that it's fully optioned but has the radio delete, stripe delete (340-S emblem on front fenders).

It doesn't have the cool vinyl top like yours though. That would be sweet.

Really cool, I'd love to see a pic of the rear defrost. I can't picture where on a fastback the vent or motor would be.

Also, your buildsheet is one the best in overall condition that I have seen. Usually they are hanging on by a thread.

This is an E Body sheet but this is the best broadcast sheet I have ever seen and it's one of three very nice correct broadcast sheets that were in my T/A. I'm VERY happy to have them just as I am to have the BCudas! I feel very fortunate to have them and a window sticker with the BCuda was a huge bonus!

Thanks for the complements!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 313
The difference between a 1969 340 'Formula S' and 340 non-Formula S.

* 'Formula S' Suspension Package
* Heavy-Duty Torsion Bars
* Heavy-Duty Rear Leaf Springs
* Front Stabilizer
* Firm-Ride Shocks
* 340 Engine

* 'S' Body Trim Badging
* Console
* Wheel Covers
* Red-Streak Wide Oval Tires {E-70 x 14"}

Anything else ?

I just joined the forum and own a 1969 340 non-S fastback. As far as I can tell the only difference in an S and non-S are the blacked out grill and black tail panel on the 'S'.
My fastback is a 340 auto on-the-column vinyl top car, deluxe interior, light package, air conditioning, power steering, non-power drums all around. The car is all numbers matching. It currently sports ralleye wheels but I have the original spoked hubcaps. The previous owner also added a formula S tail panel and painted the grill black. The car is originally from California. I'm hoping my photos uploaded OK.

Attachments

• cuda3 small.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 357
  • Cuda2 small.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 282
  • Cuda1 small.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 287
i have a library of hundreds of cudas appearing on ebay and other sites. i believe i have your car in my collection...

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJCYE9sj9sV2BBPjEUEQ5i!~~60_3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 271
  • $(KGrHqVHJEQE88dE0T35BPjEYFEhug~~60_3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 248
  • $(KGrHqNHJEgE92Hbmsv)BPjEWnwcd!~~60_3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 269
  • $(KGrHqN,!oEE9gk9PwpoBPjE(uSln!~~60_3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 269
  • $(KGrHqN,!hME9EJJpZSvBPjER7ZOrg~~60_3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 265
  • $(KGrHqJ,!qsE88gcG80WBPjEROWUIg~~60_3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 303
  • $(KGrHqJ,!nQE9gI-i!(bBPjERlHLFw~~60_3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 261
  • $(KGrHqFHJBEE9pqNfNqvBPjEQ6M)nw~~60_3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 280
  • $(KGrHqF,!r!E88gTl4g8BPjESSJ0kw~~60_3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 270
  • $(KGrHqF,!nUE8VHENsu4BPjEYiM92Q~~60_3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 281
The red '69 is a beautiful car! Very similar to mine but missing the air conditioning. My car still has original paint in the engine bay and around the inside edges of the doors. It is an original sunfire yellow car. My car originally came with just the black pinstripe (accent stripe) down the side (not the wide stripe) and the simulated spoked wheel hubcaps (not turbines).

here's another example of beautiful "slick back" cudas that use to sit on the front rows of your local Plymouth dealer back in the fall of 1968....

Attachments

• 69 slick back cuda.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 305
"i have a library of hundreds of cudas appearing on ebay and other sites. i believe i have your car in my collection..."

You definitely do! That's amazing, would you happen to know any of the info -where-who-when-etc... About that auction/ad?
Thanks for the info! Very little has changed since then if anything.

hi mopower76..

i created the file for your car on april 16, 2012 at 12:47 a.m. i'm sure i was surfing ebay at the time looking at cars for sale. it is my habit to download pics of cars i see that i'm interested in saving at the time that i find them so the date and time is probably within days of when the ad for your car was on ebay. i haven't found any further info but if i do, i'll let you know. your car is very nice and the "slick back" vinyl top option was pretty rare.
jim coster, pittsburgh, pa

-
Back